Sign in to follow this  
dave2013

P3D aircraft in MSFS 2020

Does anyone know for certain if all or most P3D aircraft will be compatible with MSFS 2020? 

For example, I have a lot of freeware planes with FSX/P3D models and xml gauges, no dlls, and wonder if they can be ported directly over to the new sim or run through a conversion process.

Thanks.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Good question, especially the xml gauges...I understand FSX/P3D models are portable to MSFS however there was no word about XML compatibility and as far I know the SDK is currently not available for mere mortals...

I could not possibly say if I've tried to do that already.  NDA and all....

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

Heh.  LO-to-the-L. This I did chuckle at.

Yes there are a few P3D aircraft I wouldn't mind floating around in, in MSFS.   I see some concurrent simming in my future as I don't expect, for example, the Maddog to work right off the bat in the new sim.   Than again, with like 40 aircraft in the new sim I'll have my hands full.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I think it's high time leaving this and other questions not to public speculation but answer by MS themselves, given it's one month prior to release.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

My understanding is that aircraft which adhered to the FSX SDK and use XML gauges (such as Carenado and Alabeo) will port straight in - indeed to that end MFS includes a "legacy aerodynamics" mode so they fly as they did in FSX. Anything beyond the FSX SDK (so custom .gau files or FS UIPC requirements like most high end addons), and anything which utilises P3D specific features, is not going to be compatible without some conversion work.

However I question if you'd want FSX birds in the new MFS without some rebuilding because otherwise they're going to look so out of place in the new high fidelity world. There was no materials systems in FSX and P3D only just got PBR textures, all that stuff is in the MFS default aircraft out the box.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

17 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

I question if you'd want FSX birds in the new MFS

Since there is no DC-3, nor any helicopters at all, there's two good reasons straight away for slinging some P3D stuff into it. 🙂

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

To complete the quote "without some rebuilding" because they're going to look jarring and in the case of the heli probably fly terrible too!

I appreciate some folks aren't bothered about graphics, but if you aren't then why wouldn't you just stick with those birds in FSX/P3D?

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Maybe consider MSFs as a brand new sim? Not an update or upgrade to anything else.. That way you will not be disapointed.

• Like 2

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

5 hours ago, pmb said:

I think it's high time leaving this and other questions not to public speculation but answer by MS themselves, given it's one month prior to release.

Kind regards, Michael

I wasn't asking anyone to speculate.

I was hoping that someone in the know could answer my question.

Dave

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

2 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Maybe consider MSFs as a brand new sim? Not an update or upgrade to anything else.. That way you will not be disapointed.

If I can't use any of my freeware planes then I will certainly be disappointed.

It was mentioned many months ago that the new sim would allow backward compatibility for FSX and P3D planes.  I'm simply asking if anyone knows if this is indeed the case.

Dave

13 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Excellent.  I'm going to assume that they are compatible.

Thanks.

Dave

Edited by dave2013

You have to remember P3D had nothing to do with Microsoft.  If the new sim is built on (vastly upgraded) FSX code, anything P3D shouldn't be expected to work.

• Like 1

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

16 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

You have to remember P3D had nothing to do with Microsoft.  If the new sim is built on (vastly upgraded) FSX code, anything P3D shouldn't be expected to work.

P3D is a licenced extension of the ESP platform. Thinking about it, I'd be surprised if MS didn't have the rights to whatever Lockheed have done to extend and improve it.

i7-10700K; RTX 2070 Super; 16GB; P3Dv4.5HF3 & MSFS2020.

3 minutes ago, lambourne said:

P3D is a licenced extension of the ESP platform. Thinking about it, I'd be surprised if MS didn't have the rights to whatever Lockheed have done to extend and improve it.

I doubt if Microsoft have any rights to whatever LM has done. Unlike the deal they had with Dovetail, where DTG had the licence to slightly modify FSX & market it to gamers/entertainment, They sold the commercial core ESP to LM, expand it for the commercial military & training school market..

So, 2 totally different markets. The contract with DTG has expired, & MS still hold the licencing for FSX.

Just an explanation & a bit of background. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...