Sign in to follow this  
FlyingBubbles

Exchange rate ripoff!!

Is this a rip off or what!!!

If you order the Deluxe from the US Store, this price is 89.99 Dollars which is 78 Euros at the time of writing but on the European store, I had to pay the price of 89.99 EUROS!!!

I'm already feeling scammed.

Edited by FlyingBubbles

You got a deal...90 Euros is about 103 US Dollars...Premium is 119.99 on the US site.  Why would you feel ripped off?

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Ok then I'm completely confused about the pricing and the exchange rates on the store. Especially that I was trying to purchase it in dollars since my bank account is in dollars but I am an expat in Europe, so it forced me to buy on the Europe store and the price seems higher in euros than in dollars. I thought that the higher price could be down to some sort of sales tax issue but the sales tax in the country I am in is about the same as in the state I am from and after having done the accounting math, I figured out that there is actually 8 euros (9 USD) which have vanished somewhere into thin air.. or in someones pocket?

Edited by FlyingBubbles

10 minutes ago, leonardus said:

Premium is 119.99 USD on the US store. I'm not sure where you're getting 89.99 from.

yes, but it is also 119.99 Euros on the Europe store, which comes out more expensive than if you could buy it on the US store. 119.99 USd as of today is 104.8 Euros. This is not for Deluxe, it is for the Premium Deluxe! I only bought Deluxe because that's all I want to invest in it for now.

Edited by FlyingBubbles

@FlyingBubbles Did you account for VAT? You need to compare pre-tax prices, Europe is subject to 15-20% VAT vs USA typically 7% GST.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Many exchange rates on web sites are slightly high IMO.

This allows for a published price to remain somewhat steady even though exchange rates fluctuate constantly.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

@FlyingBubbles Did you account for VAT? You need to compare pre-tax prices, Europe is subject to 15-20% VAT vs USA typically 7% GST.

Yes, with my super-duper accounting calculation (hurray for tax declaration day!) The thing I do find a bit misleading about the store is the fact that VAT is not published right next to the price tag and sales button , so I made the purchase with an assumed VAT but I would have appreciated it if they had marked what VAT I was paying. What I don't appreciate is that they forced me to go to the Europe store based on my location. Even in the US, sales tax is different in each state and in Europe VAT is different in each country, so it would be nice if they were to mark the product base price and then show us the calculated tax based on your address or bank details or something else. They make things very complicated for us expats. But then again, if I take todays exchange rate and base a 21% VAT on 78 Euros, then I should have payed 94 Euros instead of 90 and MS lost 4 Euros on todays purchase.

Edited by FlyingBubbles

46 minutes ago, Greazer said:

If you ever go to Australia you get ripped off on exchange rates for just about Everything!

Greazer.

Take a seat Australia, Canada is king of the exchange rate rip off!!!

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

28 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

There is no Goods and Services Tax in the USA.  They have a manufacturers tax on some goods but not on everything like a GST or VAT.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

Take a seat Australia, Canada is king of the exchange rate rip off!!!

Preach Brother!  😄😆

• Like 1

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

This is common practice with almost any tech product or software, the USA price in $ is translated to € one on one, which makes things more expensive in Europe. With the standard edition it's even worse, that's priced $60 in USA and €70 in Europe.

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

Ah! the exchange ripoff  post ! Such a classic for any release ! You gotta love it. Thanks to the OP for respecting the old tradition. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam