Sign in to follow this  
Grup

Kai Tak Jeppesen Charts

Would anyone know where I can get access to good PDF copies of all the Kai Tak Jeppesen charts (VHHX)?

Many thanks.

Have you tried a Google search?

Assuming you have FlyTampa's scenery, there are charts posted (in pdf format) on their scenery purchase page.

I have no idea who the author is, but I found this somewhere back in 2005. I thought it might be of help to anyone not familiar with the Kai Tak IGS 13 approach. I know it helped me figure it out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pass the CH VOR at 8,000 feet at 180 - 210 knots, then turn to radial 270 outbound and fly this course, descending to 6,000 feet. 

At the GOLF intersection (7.0 DME), turn directly towards SL NDB and to a 45 degrees heading after passing SL if your plane allows an airspeed below 180 knots at the present configuration. If your plane requires the airspeed to be higher than 180 knots ( as will be the case with the B747), make a lazy turn to a heading of 45 degrees after passing the GOLF intersection. Start descending to 4,500 feet. In either case, you will intercept the IGS 13 at the northern shore of Lantao Island at 4,500 feet and a heading of 45 degrees.

Follow the 88 degrees localizer at 4,500 feet, and when intercepting the glide slope, start your descent to decision height and prepare for landing configuration, extend the landing gear and try to be fully stabilized before passing the Outer Marker.

At 1,777 feet, you will pass the Outer Marker. The final checklist should be read no later than at the Marker. After passing the Outer Marker, maintain good sink rate control, since high-rise buildings seem to want their rooftops to get touched by your landing gear. You are now over Sham Shui Po, the most densely populated area of the world.

Soon, the checkerboard will fill the windscreen. Your altitude should be 675 feet and you should have reached your final approach speed when the DME reads 2.2. You should have acquired visual contact with the runway to your immediate right, or an immediate Missed Approach Procedure is mandatory. However, if everything looks good, you immediately start your right turn when the Middle Marker beeps. Depending on the weight of your plane or a tailwind, you may start turning a second earlier. The margin for error is incredibly small. When you miss the right moment to initiate the turn by more then a second or two, you will probably have to abandon the approach and follow the missed approach procedure. However, with enough skill, you will be able to line up with the runway, helped by the approach lights and the PAPIS brightly visible by the runway’s sides.

Mind your altitude, but do not break the sink rate. When you come down too early, the results could be disastrous ( at least you would touch down at the sterile displaced threshold only used for take offs). If you come in too high, think twice whether you really want to touch down - remember, after 10,930 feet, the runway inevitably ends, and there is nearly no overrun before your plane plunges into the sea.

If everything goes well, you will be level again when over flying the runway threshold at a heading of 135 degrees and touch down at the huge TDZ markers, aided by the PAPIS. Reverse thrust, apply breaking, and leave the runway using the high speed turn-off, then taxi at 315 degrees to the Main Terminal building.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

2 hours ago, W2DR said:

If you come in too high, think twice whether you really want to touch down - remember, after 10,930 feet, the runway inevitably ends, and there is nearly no overrun before your plane plunges into the sea.

So true....

I still vididly remember to this day: I was preparing to move to Hong Kong and on that day, I was asleep on a Swissair MD11 ZRH-HKG when I woke up to the smell of coffee in the cabin and the announcement from the cockpit soon after stating that we were going to land in Bangkok because "there is a typhoon in Hong Kong and a B747 floating in the harbour". Swissair rented a gate at Don Muang and we sat there being served by the cabin crew from the onboard trolleys (imagine that today...) for I do not know how many hours and of course we are were also allowed to smoke. Luckily Swissair had another crew available in Bangkok and in the end we took off again.

The typhoon (number 3 only, so not sooo serious) was moving out, but the approach was still bumpy and the landing very firm. Sitting at a window seat on the right side I had the unique view of the more or less brand-new China Airlines B747-400 floating in the harbour just at the end of rwy 13 (see the Wiki article here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Airlines_Flight_605). Unfortunately, I did not have a camera with me and mobile phones were not so in yet.

When I flew out of Kai Tak to China a day later, they had already blow off the rudder, to make ILS approaches on 31 possible. The jumbo was lifted out of the harbour later and deposited in the far corner of the ramp. It stayed there for quite a while and in the end it was scrapped there.

Alas, Kai Tak is no more. I had the pleasure to be at the Flying Club on the final evening of operations as the Dragon Air A320 landed as the last flight - I think they had a competition going as to who would be the last. Fond memories....

• Like 3

Erhard

I9 11900k RTX 3080 TI 3 x 55" LED TV 4K, 2 more PCs for displays and hardware connection Prosim A320