Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

MSFS thread for X-Plane users.

I think it cold be useful to have a thread here for us to discuss the new sim from the X-Plane user perspective. Reasons to check it out, switch to it or maybe ignore it. I hope it won't escalate. 

I will definitely check it out, however I am interested in two things for now.

1. I've heard it uses the FSX mesh. Hard to believe, given the recent trailer. Is it possible that only POI's will have a better mesh? Or is there some procedural generation at work, as in improving the mesh on the fly.

2. How does it look where no Bing3D data is available. How does its Autogen compare to X-Plane.

Edited by Colonel X
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Excellent idea Sir, it will be interesting to see it viewed through loyal XP users eyes.

Best....

Phil

It looks much better in the preview shots. For example Asia and Africa buildings seem better represented.

The clouds and water are absolutely stunning and blow x plane out of the water (no pun intended)

However there are question marks. The quality of the default planes. Doubt any will come close to zibo. Also someone posted (no idea if its true) that on one engine they could climb to 38000ft at 4000ft a min in the A320. 

For pure flight dynamics xplane may remain king until at least some pmdg or fs labs planes show up.

• Upvote 1

Having similar doubts about that big fleet of planes, how they will behave? pro flight models? or just on rails feel?

Anybody know if you buy the standard version, say for testing the program, could you upgrade for the premium deluxe later paying just the difference?

Edited by alexcolka

Alexander Colka

I'd say at the moment I use XP11 more often than P3D.  I also use heavy addons in the area I fly the most - SoCal.  I do this because I'm flying using Pilot Edge.  So even compared to Orbx True Earth SoCal, and my heavy addon scenery, I'd say the current state of MSFS looks as good in some areas, but better in most areas, compared to MY xp11 setup.

I think what will be tricky at first is lack of addon support in MSFS (simply because they won't be available yet).  This is why I'll definitely be keeping XP11 on the SSD for quite some time.  P3D v4 - it's very possible I'll be deleting it entirely to make room for MSFS.  I also am heavily invested into P3D....but the recent addons to XP11 (TrueEarth, Aerobask Legacy, RealityXP GTN/GNS) have made it easier to separate from P3D and thus mostly use XP11.

@alexcolka unfortunately I do not know this.  About the rails thing - I think it's safe to say (based on publicly released info) - that the aircraft most certainly do not fly on rails.  I can't say more because of nda.  However a small point about the rails thing.  In real life, with a well trimmed aircraft - it's almost as if you were on a railroad..  A well trimmed aircraft will not deviate from level flight unless you get turbulence or a weird wind shift.  I know this because my best friend's aircraft is like this.  I think people sometimes assume planes just bounce all over the place irl.  This is not the case (at least not all the time).

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

No larger GA aircraft has "analogue" instruments. I don't like modern glass cockpits, so I don't even think I will buy to check out of curiosity.

(There is nothing that is similar to: F33A Bonanza, C340, PA31, PA28, PA30, PC12, M20R, SF260, C310L/R, KA350, EMB110, ................ ) 😞

• Like 1

I'm going to check it out on launch day with the game pass option. It looks really pretty in the marketing material. Before VR support and nice payware aircrafts (I don't have much hope in the default aircrafts) I think X-Plane will remain my no. 1 sim. It will probably take long until next year until VR support. Hopefully by then X-Plane has improved its weather engine, otherwise I see my main flight sim changing to MSFS.

2 hours ago, Kopteeni said:

Before VR support

90fps in MSFS.... yeah, I don't think that's ever going to happen, not with DX11 + windows anyway. To many O(C^n) bugs in the windows task manager to fix first.

embed.php?i=1806226-AR-WINLINUX713&sha=3

Funny seeing MS rush it out to try and beat Laminar to release tho

AutoATC Developer

I've been an Alpha tester for less than a week and, of course, can't say too much.  So far, FSX, P3D, and XP11 appear very dated to me compared to MSFS. XP11 is currently my main sim but I can't see that being the case for much longer.

Edited by ricka47
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

7 hours ago, sanh said:

For pure flight dynamics xplane may remain king until at least some pmdg or fs labs planes show up.

flight dynamics rely on the planemaker yes but specially on the simulator capabilities to read the plane and react to it.

8 hours ago, alexcolka said:

Having similar doubts about that big fleet of planes, how they will behave? pro flight models? or just on rails feel?

Anybody know if you buy the standard version, say for testing the program, could you upgrade for the premium deluxe later paying just the difference?

Too early to tell what third party devs can do, you'll only see the default planes on release. Won't comment on the "on rails" things due to NDA except to say that this isn't previous versions of MSFS.

If you buy the standard version you can upgrade, no problem.

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

27 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Too early to tell what third party devs can do

I can tell you what they will do

Charge.

At least 4x more than its worth.

And still wont be as good as an average XP12 freeware aircraft.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

9 hours ago, sanh said:

It looks much better in the preview shots. For example Asia and Africa buildings seem better represented.

The clouds and water are absolutely stunning and blow x plane out of the water (no pun intended)

However there are question marks. The quality of the default planes. Doubt any will come close to zibo. Also someone posted (no idea if its true) that on one engine they could climb to 38000ft at 4000ft a min in the A320. 

If we are going to do this, lets do a fair, default to default compare. Zibo didnt come with Xplane when I bought it.  I have to admit, Xplane doesnt look ANYTHING like it did when I bought it. 

15 minutes ago, mSparks said:

I can tell you what they will do

Charge.

At least 4x more than its worth.

And still wont be as good as an average XP12 freeware aircraft.

I remember on the xplane.org, people wouldnt concider MSFS because it doesnt exist. Guess I'll do the same, Xplane 12 doesnt exist. 

• Upvote 1