Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

MSFS thread for X-Plane users.

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

You do realise that HUNDREDS of current game use DX11,

you think proves what exactly?

DX12, Microsofts replacement for DX11 has been out since 2014

Millions of ..... still use windows 7 (has no DX12 support)

DX11 and windows 7 are both obsolete.

Even DX12 isnt that attractive to developers because it only runs on such a tiny subset of peoples hardware -> which is why Laminar didnt touch it and are unlikely to waste any development time on it.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

It always ends up like this.  X-Plane vs MSFS

I remember years ago, I made ONE small comment, in the form of a reply to someone, about how FSX had so many CTD's, that avsim has a dedicated CTD section for it.

The head of ACES himself came into the forums and proceeded to throw a barrage of attempted explanations at me, coupled with veiled insults, with the FSX fan boys backing him up.

I've always said it.  If you prefer FS2020 or any MSFS title for that matter, why would you want to be in this section of the forums?  If you own X-Plane as well, and you have a grievance, suggestion to make it better, bug report, there's no point posting about it in here.  Send an email off to Austin at Laminar.  

I really don't understand the constant flight sim battles.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pastaiolo said:

I pay for a product, i am not paid to improve it myself.

I'm just going to answer this part of your post, because I really don't want to spend time replying with obvious answers.

You said it EXACTLY.  If you don't like it, don't buy it.  Simple.  You don't have to improve it, personally.  But rest assured, others are more than happy to throw in suggestions.  Most of which get implemented.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GoranM said:

I've always said it.  If you prefer FS2020 or any MSFS title for that matter, why would you want to be in this section of the forums?

The point of the topic is meant to discuss what LR can do next, but has been mostly hijacked into an anti-MS thread by the same users.

Just as in any topic, if you prefer not to read about stuff like this, then just don't get involved or read them. MFS is coming out in less than 3 weeks, people want to talk about it and if not here, another thread will just pop up.

So, let's get back on topic please and keep it civil or the thread will be closed.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, tonywob said:

The point of the topic is meant to discuss what LR can do next

Surely the point of this thread, in the xplane forum, is what, if anything, Laminar (and 3rd parties) can learn from Microsofts new flight sim. (I'm stealing the ATC window design minus the orrible blue for the AutoATC pad)

Hi jacked by a ton of the usual suspects saying Laminar are doing everything wrong and that Microsoft is best because .... reasons. Who then feel insulted when you point out the obvious flaws in the propaganda they've been chewing on.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 2

AutoATC Developer

One thing XP11 has going for it, is smooth scenery. By that I mean no scenery popping, no terrain morphing. thats what kills P3DV5 for me. I hear MSFS will be based on some old FSX code (not sure how true that is or not), bit I have watched a few leaks, and do notice some scenery popping. If that is the case, it's immersion killing. More so than bad weather. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

One thing XP11 has going for it, is smooth scenery. By that I mean no scenery popping, no terrain morphing. that's what kills P3DV5 for me. I hear MSFS will be based on some old FSX code (not sure how true that is or not), bit I have watched a few leaks, and do notice some scenery popping. If that is the case, it's immersion killing. More so than bad weather. 

Forget the "based on FSX" misleading statement. It feels and works like a new sim. The popping might depend on your net and your computer, however. Mine is in the above recommended range, and in the recent version, nothing pops. The platform is far ahead of FSX and P3D. There will still be many dark spots, I fear, even after release. But I should not talk about those details yet.

• Like 2

Paul Schmidt

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

1 hour ago, flyingpauls said:

Forget the "based on FSX" misleading statement. It feels and works like a new sim. The popping might depend on your net and your computer, however. Mine is in the above recommended range, and in the recent version, nothing pops. The platform is far ahead of FSX and P3D. There will still be many dark spots, I fear, even after release. But I should not talk about those details yet.

Interesting thanks. I run a highest end PC money can buy, but my net in my areas is only around 30MBPS. 

MSFS2020 will not reside on my hard drive without "full" vr support, that's without question. Until it has vr implemented, Microsoft won't see a single dollar from me.

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

9 hours ago, GoranM said:

Who, seriously, uses default ATC in ANY sim??  I certainly don't. 

I did in FSX and maintain that it is still the first party benchmark in any civilian flightsim (the milsim award in that field goes to Falcon BMS), no matter how low that'll put the bar. It's also fully AI integrated, which is another huge bonus.

The core problem with human ATC controllers is availability. I want ATC services anywhere at any time and only an AI conroller solution can provide that.

I have to admit that FS20 looks pretty attractive on the AI/ATC front.

• Like 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

56 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Interesting thanks. I run a highest end PC money can buy, but my net in my areas is only around 30MBPS. 

30Mb/s is plenty! No issue there

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mSparks said:

Hi jacked by a ton of the usual suspects saying Laminar are doing everything wrong and that Microsoft is best because .... reasons. Who then feel insulted when you point out the obvious flaws in the propaganda they've been chewing on.

Not much different than feeling like being insulted when mentioning anything other than Linux + XPlane might be better sometimes.

Maybe there is hope after all: DirectX ❤ Linux

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directx-heart-linux/

Edited by RXP
  • Like 2

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

28 minutes ago, RXP said:

anything other than Linux + XPlane might be better sometimes.

I can think of a fair few things that are loads better than Linux + Xplane.

or

I can't think of anything "worse" than windows 10. Windows ME or 8.0 maybe?

And if I could, I'm sure they would be "words not allowed"

I also cant think of anything much funnier than someone insisting a pengiun heli pilot who only does flight sim in VR "just has to" give flight 2.0.2.0 a try. The IT crowd maybe?

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

31 minutes ago, mSparks said:

I also cant think of anything much funnier than someone insisting a pengiun heli pilot who only does flight sim in VR "just has to" give flight 2.0.2.0 a try. The IT crowd maybe?

I'm certain this is you trying to shed some humour in this discussion because everyone knows penguins don't wear VR headsets.

Nonetheless, the purpose of this topic is discussing (meaning sharing, not imposing) our (the community) point of view in regard to what FS2020 means for X-Plane users, and I'm certain most will agree it is not the appropriate discussion to explain how one's point of view is better than other's just because one is making sound decision (according to him) about his tech choices.

In my opinion, such discussion is more about what FS2020 entails in terms of how much it will make XPlane users balance the two simulators in terms of usage, affinity, likeness, and how much XP11 users feel about being seduced or at least tempted to ditch XP11 in the end.

You might want to further discuss your personal IT and tech point of view in a different discussion, so that you can better explain and showcase in what you're considering DX11 a dead technology and all the other opinions you do have about the tech we're using in our flight simulators and how your tech opinions are better than others?

Edited by RXP
  • Like 4

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

2 minutes ago, RXP said:

... and how your tech opinions are better than others?

You obviously don´t know mSparks yet! 🤣