Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

MSFS thread for X-Plane users.

1 hour ago, FlyBaby said:

If MSFS thought that it was that important, they would have put it in there at launch.

IMHO, Microsoft do think it is important and they'll have it only when they also have VR on Xbox...

54 minutes ago, mSparks said:

They simply do not have the technology to deliver a consumer grade VR experience, they can't rely on SteamVR or Oculus because that would kill the Microsoft store (already on its last legs). OpenXR may change that,

OpenXR is certainly also a factor I agree. Please note WMR is already compatible with OpenXR for some time now, and SteamVR has implemented 90% (at least) with a clear goal to fully support and migrate to OpenXR (while maintaining their current API at the same time).

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

47 minutes ago, mSparks said:

But by then, if current trends continue Laminar will probably be on XP14 or XP15,

Current trend.....XP14 OR 15 in 5 years....bwahahahaha!  

“Excuse me, sir. I’ll have what he’s having”

Chris

33 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Current trend.....XP14 OR 15 in 5 years....bwahahahaha!  

“Excuse me, sir. I’ll have what he’s having”

The last 5 years have seen us go from

to

why would the next 5 years not see at least as fast progress -> if not more?

• Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

3 minutes ago, mSparks said:

I hope it does, but I don't think X-Plane or P3D have moved a great deal over the past 10 years and I've used and developed on both. Neither visually or simulation wise have either done anything that's broken the mold outside of both going 64-bit and getting VR.

I appreciate Asobo for bringing our hobby to today's standards graphically (Although even that will fall behind quickly). I can't believe anyone could look at shots of the clouds or lighting in MFS and then think that X-Plane or P3D is on-par with it, I find that crazy... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Indeed...But that's not what you said. And progress is not exclusive to Laminar Research. But shame on me for engaging a "true believer" no matter which jersey you sport.

Chris

28 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

And progress is not exclusive to Laminar Research.

We have a winner.

Exactly.

So if XP11.50/12 is > flight 2.0

which in a contest of the above videos vs https://i.imgur.com/WatCtHC.mp4

its more like XP10 is > flight 2.0

In what world do/can Microsoft catch up? Cos I don't see it. MS execs are more likely to pull the plug on further funding well before it gets any kind of real rather than bought community support. Yes that might not happen, Yes 2.0 might end up being the best (definitely last) 2D flight sim ever to be released.

But "not sorry" for having significant doubts, and much better things to do with my time than pine after the latest Microsoft breadcrumb that they will likely end up shelving 6 months after release.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

Have a little looky what happened to Hololens.

Its not from lack of trying that MS have no VR offering. Asobo even made their most "successful" demo.

They simply do not have the technology to deliver a consumer grade VR experience, they can't rely on SteamVR or Oculus because that would kill the Microsoft store (already on its last legs). OpenXR may change that, but not soon enough to rescue the launch of flight 2.0.

If they can make it past those challenges, in ~5 years, it might be competitive with XP11.41. But by then, if current trends continue Laminar will probably be on XP14 or XP15, with who knows what features (perhaps able to auto issue your pilots licence for your electric flying car?)

MSFS has the technology to stream the world, a weather system with cloud levels unmatched by any other sim, and much, much more. And here you are talking about VR... (LOL)

12 pages of "doom and gloom" for MSFS with projections that they can't deliver, and folk will be ultimately disappointed. (LOL)

If LR had responded to the concerns of their customers like you do to "every" post in thread, they would have a chance to successfully compete against MSFS. But of course they didn't...so they don't.

Still waiting for that video showing XP clouds to the horizon, come on now, you have a "payless" job to do. Get to it, the weekend is approaching.

17 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

MSFS has the technology to stream the world, a weather system with cloud levels unmatched by any other sim, and much, much more. And here you are talking about VR... (LOL)

That's another thing every xplaner already knows, and lots of people are about to find out the hard way.

A return to loading screens really isn't as exciting as it sounds.

And their cloud system is fugly and unrealistic by every standard.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

better things to do with my time than pine after the latest Microsoft breadcrumb that they will likely end up shelving 6 months after release.

At least MS2020 keeps you busy.....on this forum🍺

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

But "not sorry" for having significant doubts, and much better things to do with my time than pine after the latest Microsoft breadcrumb that they will likely end up shelving 6 months after release.

Okie, dokie. 

tilting-e1519324724723.jpg

• Like 2

Chris

Let me say it again xp9 to 10 move brought:

-new weather and clouds

-new global lightning and hdr 

-new atc and ai.

-new osm based 3d global scenery

and probably more.

So yeah they are capeable of a major graphical overhaul, they just laid the foindations to it..

No need to stream petabytes of 3d data to get an old gen autogen with no proper shading whatsoever, or to get low res ground textures.

To me msfs look like a one huge ortho4xp pack.

Give me some eastern europeans rendering a one big PBR next gen looking world 😉

12 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

Let me say it again xp9 to 10 move brought:

-new weather and clouds

-new global lightning and hdr 

-new atc and ai.

-new osm based 3d global scenery

and probably more.

So yeah they are capeable of a major graphical overhaul, they just laid the foindations to it..

No need to stream petabytes of 3d data to get an old gen autogen with no proper shading whatsoever, or to get low res ground textures.

To me msfs look like a one huge ortho4xp pack.

Give me some eastern europeans rendering a one big PBR next gen looking world 😉

I understand that you have an affinity for Xplane platform but everything you said about MSFS is just one bs after the other. It's impossible to take anything you say seriously. Even if you have some good points to make, they have all been erased by your blatant fanboyism.

Can we go back to reality for one second ? There is a lot of good in XP11 but the whole look of the world from the meshes, to the atmosphere , to the clouds, to the vectors all of it is like 5 years behind of where it should be. It takes so much work and different addons to even get somewhere. Flying over vanilla scenery is something I tried to avoid at all cost. It is THAT bad. If LR was smart, instead of trying to hire artist to try to craft the whole world piece by piece, they could use a similar technology where they can leverage google API and did exactly what MS did. At least get that part auto-generated by AI. That way their artist can actually focus on fixing what is missing. It's actually what Asobo is doing. They let the ai generate most of the world and artist are doing the finishing touch. 

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

12 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

It's impossible to take anything you say seriously. Even if you have some good points to make, they have all been erased by your blatant fanboyism

If LR was smart, instead of trying to hire artist to try to craft the whole world piece by piece, they could use a similar technology where they can leverage google API and did exactly what MS did...

Please allow me to say: it is also impossible to take anything you say seriously because you are presuming what LR is not doing and just speculating a certain 'inferiority' because of this.

Let me explain: what if they are actually working on doing exactly this for XP12,  what if the technology is already developed, and what if Vulkan is the last technology stone they needed for their new rendering engine to run smoothly with such Google data... food for thought...

12 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

Can we go back to reality for one second

In all cases, just speculations and nothing conclusive about any inferiority or superiority of X-Plane vs FS2020.

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Just now, RXP said:

Please allow me to say: it is also impossible to take anything you say seriously because you are presuming what LR is not doing and just speculating a certain 'inferiority' because of this.

Let me explain: what if they are actually doing exactly this for years for XP12 and Vulkan is the last technology stone they needed for their new rendering engine to run smoothly with such Google data... food for thought...

I would embrace the change. What are you insinuating ? I don't hate XP11. I have quite a few payware plane and addons for the platform. I am a user.  I want the flight sim to move forward in time. We have been stuck in the past for way too long. I think MS is giving that push that was needed. I will welcome P3D or Xplane changes as well.  I am aviation fan first. 

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

10 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

What are you insinuating

I'm not insinuating anything, on the contrary I'm very explicit and direct in just trying to state the obvious and in making a logical statement ala Spock:

We don't know what LR has been doing for XP12, we don't even know whether there will be an XP12, but what we do know, is that you can't tell what LR should do so that they give you a better simulator for you.

I believe you can only speculate about what they are actually doing instead and maybe throw them a suggestion. You might try sharing your ideas about what is the simulator you'd like to have from them. Maybe they'll listen, maybe they'll even do it, maybe not.

Differently: you can't extrapolate the current state of XP11 and make it what XP12 will be. You can't tell "they should use Google the way FS2020 is using Bing" because you don't even know whether they aren't already doing this for XP12.

I agree with you though, this would bring something valuable for many XP11 simmers, but I disagree with you in that it would be THE decisive technology XP12 should have to make it a better simulator.

Edited by RXP
formatting
  • Upvote 1