Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

FSDT GSX not compatible with P3d5 HF2

regarding the CTD.  I was getting them somewhat often in the beginning. I reinstalled my C++ distributables and reinstalled gsx.  I thought I was good to go after that.  Probably went about 30 flights or so.  Then the other day I was at montreal and boom.  They always come either immediately when I click request pushback or within a few seconds of that.  Some have said it is the same problem that P3DV5 has had with the ATC menu.  I don't use the atc menu.  But I know that there have been many posts about this here and other forums.  I was shocked to have one the other night.  I though it was behind me.  Now I'm back to cringing when I go to pushback.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Well, no one asked me why I posted this, so I'm going to elaborate. After today's Win 10 (2004) update, P3d5 would no longer start because couatl.exe was generating an error in the event logs. Removing the FSDT add-on.xml file fixed that. Now I know Virtuali (Umberto) says that if couatl crashes, it won't bring the sim down with it, but it did, so I don't know what's going on.

• Upvote 1

What patches were installed today?

July 14, 2020-KB4565627 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 2004

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4565627/kb4565627-cumulative-update-for-net-framework

July 14, 2020—KB4565503 (OS Build 19041.388)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4565503/windows-10-update-kb4565503

I just did a test and everything starts normally and I have the same recent updates.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

No issues with GSX, HF2 and 2004 here.... working without issue.

I’d respectfully Suggest the thread title is changed...it clearly is compatible 

Edited by KL Oo
  • Like 4

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Same here, no issues at all with HF2, a fully updated Windows 10 2004 and FSDT GSX Level 2. Thread title is misleading and wrong.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

3 hours ago, AnkH said:

Same here, no issues at all with HF2, a fully updated Windows 10 2004 and FSDT GSX Level 2. Thread title is misleading and wrong.

Same here.

David Murden.   MSFS  • Fenix A320 • PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet •

• Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF •  Flightsim.to •

DCS • A10c II • F-16c • F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier • Terrains = • Nevada NTTR • Persian Gulf • Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON •  32GB DDR4  3200MHz • RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  • Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip •

18 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

What patches were installed today?

July 14, 2020-KB4565627 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 2004

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4565627/kb4565627-cumulative-update-for-net-framework

July 14, 2020—KB4565503 (OS Build 19041.388)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4565503/windows-10-update-kb4565503

It's not "incompatible" as such, in that many use it and the developer says that it is fully compatible and can't cause crashes.

Having said that, my personal opinion is that it brings mild instability to the sim. Without GSX/Couatl, my sim never crashes. If your sim is rock solid, go ahead and use it. But if your are one of the people who has experienced crashes in v5, I'd suggest that this is the first addon you should remove. 

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

12 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Having said that, my personal opinion is that it brings mild instability to the sim. Without GSX/Couatl, my sim never crashes. If your sim is rock solid, go ahead and use it. But if your are one of the people who has experienced crashes in v5, I'd suggest that this is the first addon you should remove. 

GSX CANNOT crash the sim, and cannot cause "instability".

There's a known issue in P3D V5 that affects the usage of the standard semi-transparent window that can be used either by the default ATC, but also by any other add-on that uses the Simconnect text menu which results in a CTD with a VCRUNTIME.DLL error logged in Event Viewer.

The issue is not easy to reproduce, and we think is somewhat related to DX12, because that menu is originally made in Scaleform ( a derivative of Adobe Flash, for UI ), and at a certain point is must interact with DX12 ( it used to work with DX11 in P3D 4.5 ), and considering how tricky, complex and different DX12 is, I guess something is still not 100% reliable with that menu.

On LM support forum, there's a very long thread in which multiple users confirmed the infamous VCRUNTIME crash, with no add-ons and no GSX active, just by using the ATC menu for enough time.

Some reports here:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 49#p222053

Even with a fresh clean & installation of P3D V5 HF2, I experience CTD when opening the ATC window after a time in the sim. I have tested with and without GSX (and Addon Manager)

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 15#p222128

P3D never crashes immediately, and I can always take off, and sometimes even land at the next airport. I can thus open the ATC-window 20-100 times before it results in a CTD. To test I can slew around in the default F-35 and open the window a number of times while moving, and then it will eventually result in a CTD.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 15#p222337

I'm almost 100% sure this is a bug in Prepar3D V5. I have done a lot of testing with HF1 & HF2 and cannot find the cause of CTD via the ATC window. This problem did not exist in V4. CTD occurs without add-ons and in default aircraft.

Maybe you don't remember but, we had a similar ( although it didn't make the sim crash, but made GSX almost unusable ) issue with P3D 4.1. The menu system was broken in one of those builds of the sim, and you couldn't even choose an entry reliably and, of course, even then, people started to believe if was "a GSX problem", just because GSX is the most popular application that depends on that menu. Of course, FUD spread wildly until...LM of course fixed it in a point release.

Just to be clear:

- The Simconnect menu is a standard Simconnect API call, which can be used to create either a menu, but also a message in the top green line:

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/sdk/simconnect_api/references/general_functions.html#SimConnect_Text

It hasn't changed in years, so the code to call it is exactly the same, regardless if the sim is FSX, P3D 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Any application using it doesn't have to do anything different depending on the simulator used, and it's a complete Black Box to developers. Even if the sim might use different technologies underneath ( XUI on FSX, Scaleform on P3D ), this is completely irrelevant to the client application so, if a code works in FSX or P3D 4, it should work in P3D V5 and there's nothing that is supposed change just because it's P3D V5. It's not as if we are using an outdated or legacy method: we are using THE only method to create a menu, which is supposed to work.

And yes, of course, we reported this to LM a while ago, send them a copy of GSX to test ( I'm fairly sure GSX is not the problem, but I AM thorough ) and are waiting for some feedback.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, virtuali said:

GSX CANNOT crash the sim, and cannot cause "instability".

But it can trigger it. 

Edited by Bryn

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

22 minutes ago, Bryn said:

But it can trigger it. 

Literally any add-on can "trigger" a crash if a default function of the sim, e.g. an issue with simconnect windows, is not working right and that add-on needs to interact with it. I have my issues with GSX/Couatl but let's be specific about what we're talking about here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Does the original GSX1 installer also include GSX Level 2 or is that going to be a separate installer?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU