Sign in to follow this  
jzimmermann

New MS Flight Simulator On A USB Stick

I'm curious as to why Aerosoft has entered into a partnership with MS to distribute the physical copy via DVD only.

I removed my DVD drive from my PC ages ago, I really only use digital downloads or USB attached media these days.

Would it not make sense to also distribute via a USB stick?

Cheers,

Jerome

3 minutes ago, jzimmermann said:

I'm curious as to why Aerosoft has entered into a partnership with MS to distribute the physical copy via DVD only.

I removed my DVD drive from my PC ages ago, I really only use digital downloads or USB attached media these days.

Cheers,

Jerome

DVDs are much more reliable and cheaper, than DVDs. So you can buy an external DVD drive with USB connection, it will be cheaper, than 128GB USB flash too 🙂

@jzimmermann Yes, if you want to add €14 to the price. A 128 GB USB stick costs a lot more than 10 dual layer DVDs.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

MSFS needs you to have a good internet connection to enjoy it at its best, so if you don't have the means to DL it then you might want to think why you need a DVD in the first place. What's a DVD anyway 😛

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, jzimmermann said:

Cheers,

Jerome

Yes, it would also make sense to make it available via USB stick. Good point.👍

18 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

MSFS needs you to have a good internet connection to enjoy it at its best, so if you don't have the means to DL it then you might want to think why you need a DVD in the first place. What's a DVD anyway 😛

Yes exactly.

General comment: It may be more expensive than 10 DVDs but Aerosoft could pass the cost of the more expensive media on to its customers for those wishing to opt for that media format. I assume a fair portion of the "PC population" today have moved away from the DVD format and players now. The last rig I built I did not bother to install a DVD drive. My laptop has no DVD drive internal/external either. These days I completely rely upon LAN, Wifi, or USB stick to transfer or download large files.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

i live in a urban area have only mobile internet 4g the phone mast is about 1.5km can get 25-40 Mbit today.

before next year we get 5g they promise atleast 200Mbit 

therfore i orderd a dvd pack to test if its possible to run 2020 with 25-40Mbit , can continiue to use P3D V5 if the speed is to low.

i have a portable usb3 dvd reader 

Edited by westman

45 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

@jzimmermann Yes, if you want to add €14 to the price. A 128 GB USB stick costs a lot more than 10 dual layer DVDs.

I hardly think so.

73sVXtk.png

And I'm sure if a company was seeking to buy 128 GB USB sticks in bulk the price would drop even further and be significantly less.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jzimmermann said:

I hardly think so.

73sVXtk.png

And I'm sure if a company was seeking to buy 128 GB USB sticks in bulk the price would drop even further and be significantly less.

You would need USB3 for the data rate. USB2 would be way too slow.

In any case, you can pick up an external 500GB USB3 drive on Amazon by Toshiba for £40-50. It would make much more sense for it to be on one of those in this modern era. 

10 hours ago, westman said:

i live in a urban area have only mobile internet 4g the phone mast is about 1.5km can get 25-40 Mbit today.

before next year we get 5g they promise atleast 200Mbit 

therfore i orderd a dvd pack to test if its possible to run 2020 with 25-40Mbit , can continiue to use P3D V5 if the speed is to low.

i have a portable usb3 dvd reader 

25-40mbit should be perfectly fine for streaming. 
Should be good to download the sim too, just leave it overnight. It equates to about 2.5-3.5 mbits per second. 

26 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

You would need USB3 for the data rate. USB2 would be way too slow.

In any case, you can pick up an external 500GB USB3 drive on Amazon by Toshiba for £40-50. It would make much more sense for it to be on one of those in this modern era. 

I think you'll find that USB 2 speeds are on par if not superior to DVD speeds when installing from 10 DVDs. Sure USB 3 would be beneficial, but consider that USB 2 is rated roughly at 43 MB/s, which equates to around 344 Mbps, these days that's considered more than acceptable for high-speed Internet!

Installation from a USB stick is fine, but loading the data onto the USB stick is going to be a slooow process, compared to stamping out DVDs... 😉

For a couple of customers.. sure..  For thousands.. not so sure..

• Like 1

Bert

13 hours ago, jzimmermann said:

Cheers,

Jerome

Why in the wORLd did you ask this question on AVSIM?  Why not ask Aerosoft brother?  Believe me, going directly to the source is not only the best and most logical way to get an answer, one often avoids all sorts of nonsense as well.

Anyway, the question you asked was asked and answered in the MSFS thread in the Aerosoft forums quite a number of days ago my friend.

My very best wishes!

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.