Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Pre order : advantage over buying at release date ?

Just out of curiosity.

What is the advantage of buying now over buying at release date ?

I wasn’t able to read all info.

Thanks 

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

There are no advantages. You can freely check out reviews first to see if it's worth your time and money before committing. And if you want to test it for a month you can get a game pass trial period for 1USD/EUR which gives you full access to the standard edition.

I  only hope to not have to wait in line for purchase as that would likely be clogged up on the18th

And among first(s) to connect for downloading the app, which would be plugged up for a few days if not weeks I imagine.

I pre-ordered the premium but was not billed yet. You only get billed 10 days prior to release

Edited by peppy197

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

What is the advantage of buying now over buying at release date ?

The advantage is all Microsoft's, not the consumer's. As a consumer, pre-ordering in this case is actually disadvantageous, IMO.

Best to wait until sometime after 7/18 and pay $1 to sign up for 30 days of the xbox for pc promo (which will allow you to play fs2020 for 30 days after its released for that $1 you paid). Then you can see for yourself if you want to buy it, and which version.

Edited by hangar
  • Like 3

The advantage is pre loading so the moment it goes live, you can play.

I honestly don't know why people panties are all in a twist over this, you ain't forced to pre order.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, hangar said:

The advantage is all Microsoft's, not the consumer's. As a consumer, pre-ordering in this case is actually disadvantageous, IMO.

Best to wait until sometime after 7/18 and pay $1 to sign up for 30 days of the xbox for pc promo (which will allow you to play fs2020 for 30 days after its released for that $1 you paid). Then you can see for yourself if you want to buy it, and which version.

Thanks for your explanation 

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

43 minutes ago, RandyGiles said:

The advantage is pre loading so the moment it goes live, you can play.

I honestly don't know why people panties are all in a twist over this, you ain't forced to pre order.

The question was asked about the advantage of pre-order. Others were also interested in the difference.

Nobody is in a twist. Your reply has no value to the question as it was clearly answered by others before your witty reply. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, Wise87 said:

The question was asked about the advantage of pre-order. Others were also interested in the difference.

Nobody is in a twist. Your reply has no value to the question as it was clearly answered by others before your witty reply. 

You not seen all the other posts on various threads here then, people moaning about pre ordering which was more in response to this than the OP.

• Like 1

If you pre-order,you get a free horse, some special outfits and a rare sidearm! 🤠

Oh wait... that was RDR2...

Perhaps there will be a special aircraft or custom airport for those jumping in early?

Apart from the preload advantage, preordering is my way of securing the funds I'll need for the sim. That way I won't blast it on something else lol. $119.00 is a lot of money especially when you live in my neck of the woods.

• Like 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

It's basically two things:

• Psychological - like when women go shopping for shoes 😄
  • It shows your support for the dev - this of course only makes sense if you are 100% convinced you will be satisfied (which I am - no matter the hurdles in the beginning)
  • Like 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

It would have been cool if MSFS had offered exclusives for those who pre-ordered, ie, maybe an extra plane or two or a few more detailed smaller airports only available for those wo pre-ordered.

I guess the time between pre-order and buying is only a month, so an incentive for people to pre-order is not really needed. But I bet exclusive could have been offered if the pre-order was months or more before the release date. 

• Upvote 3

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

1 hour ago, hangar said:

This is a really interesting option, the only problem is what happens at the end of the month when you decide you want to buy.  I suspect you will need to completely uninstall, download and re-install again, plus remember to cancel your sub so you don't pay $8 for the second month, etc.  Maybe I am over thinking it.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

4 minutes ago, SlowFlyer said:

It would have been cool if MSFS had offered exclusives for those who pre-ordered, ie, maybe an extra plane or two or a few more detailed smaller airports only available for those wo pre-ordered.

I guess the time between pre-order and buying is only a month, so an incentive for people to pre-order is not really needed. But I bet exclusive could have been offered if the pre-order was months or more before the release date. 

It's only a good sign that they're not too hesitant to push people into pre-ordering. It means they're confident that their product won't get destroyed in the reviews.

I do not see a clear advantage for one over the other to be honest.

MAYBE pre-loading might be a reason, but I have not read any confirmation when the preload of the ACTUAL sim will start. Yes, it says, you can pre-load right away. But that´s just 20 MB.... this won´t save me when I have to download the remaining 85-90 GB with everyone else when it unlocks and in case there really should be a performance issue of the download servers...

So I´d say if you are convinced today and feel like MSFS will have a great future and you want to take part in it right from the start, then go for it and pre-order today. Or to put it the other way around: If you are already planning to definitely buy it directly on release date,  then what´s your reason to wait ?  Buying directly on release date will not give you an advantage over pre-order, either, right?  

However, if you are sceptical and want to wait a couple of days/weeks, i.e. buy AFTER release date: well, I still see no disadvantage, at least I have not heard, that premium and deluxe are time limited offers. So you should be able to sit it out now and can still decide to buy a premium edition later in August / September (someone correct me if I should be wrong).

While this is not the topic of this thread, I have seen some threads where people fear a disadvantage when they buy standard now and then decide to upgrade to premium later. So they prefer to go all in now and not regret it later (financially). 

I can´t say if this is justified as there is no pricing on the upgrade packages as of now. So that´s purely speculation and there is no hint to such strategy I am aware of.  I could also assume, that you might be able to only buy those airports/planes separately via their marketplace instead of having to buy a premium package if you are only interested in half of the content. F.e. if you just want the B787 and EDDF, you might get those two items for less than those 60$. But again, this also is just speculation at the moment. 

All in all - if you are planning to buy it on release date latest anyway - I do not see any rush and there is no specific reason why you should buy it now and there is no speciifc reason for buying it directly on release date instead.