Sign in to follow this  
lancealotg

Support the developers !!!

I have concerns after reading some of the posts here. Some people are suggesting that we should take a wait and see attitude in regards to this sim. I think that would be a big mistake. If we don't all support the developers from the beginning, this sim may never get the resources needed to overcome the many obstacles that will be around in the beginning.

I have purchased the premium addition because I want to support the developers. This sim has the potential to be such a big leap forward from anything we have now that I want to give the developers all the resources they need to be successful. One post advised people to use the game pass to get the game for a dollar. If people get this game and only give the developers $1 dollar, it will FAIL!!!

This sim is going to have issues at the start, anything this ambitious will have growing pains but I am more than willing to give the developers my $120 dollars to give this sim a chance to be better than anything I ever thought was possible. If everyone will support the developers, we have a good chance of getting that sim we all have wished for.

I remember when I first heard about this sim. I thought it was a scam because it was attempting something so far ahead of anything that I could not believe it. An analogy would be like our current cars that get 20 to 40 miles per gallon and someone saying they invented a full size car that can go 500 miles per gallon. Revolutionary.

It remains to be seen if the developers can pull this off but we all need to support them fully to make this happen.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

I think you purchased a premium addiction.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

I have no intention buying any add-ons for MSFS until I use it at least for a few weeks or maybe more. The sim might have quirks and bugs and piling on add-ons might compound the issue, since third party developers are also unfamiliar with how the product works. The one add-on that I might get is the navigation database updater, assuming that it's available immediately.

I don't think that you have to worry, though. I'd be surprised if there's a ton of add-ons available on 18 August.

2 minutes ago, lancealotg said:

IOne post advised people to use the game pass to get the game for a dollar. If people get this game and only give the developers $1 dollar, it will FAIL!!!

No it won't "FAIL." The suggestion was to spend $1 to "try before your buy" for a 30 day evaluation. If you truly like it, then continue month-to-month for $8/mo., or buy whichever of the three versions you want.

This type of fear mongering is unnecessary.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Just now, n4gix said:

This type of fear mongering is unnecessary.

Wow, you missed the point completely.

1 minute ago, jabloomf1230 said:

The one add-on that I might get is the navigation database updater, assuming that it's available immediately.

Why would you buy something that comes with the sim?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

1 minute ago, lancealotg said:

Wow, you missed the point completely.

No, I did not "miss the point" at all. Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar company. While I'm sure that MSFS will be a financial success, total revenue over time will be not much more than a rounding error on their end of year balance sheet.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

For those of you who don't know the history...

Wikipedia - Microsoft Flight Simulator X

On January 22, 2009, it was reported that development team behind the product was being heavily affected by Microsoft's ongoing job cuts, with indications that the entire Flight Simulator team would be laid off.[5][6] The news was later confirmed by Microsoft officials

26 minutes ago, lancealotg said:

It remains to be seen if the developers can pull this off but we all need to support them fully to make this happen.

They are supported by Microsoft, this is not an indie game where we need fund them to get the job done

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!
  • Like 1

This action had nothing to do with the viability and profitability of FSX. It had everything to go with a national economic depression. Hence the massive layoffs by MS (among many other Fortune 500 companies).

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Fr. Bill    

Even if you pre-order your credit card doesn't get charged and they don't get paid until 10 days prior to release.

I support developers by buying things I want, not by buying things I don't want just because they are available.  I'll support Microsoft after I see that MSFS is working reasonably well, and I'll support third party developers who support me by offering things I want.

Sorry 'bout that.

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

They will be able to gauge the actual buyer interest and ie plan their release server infrastructure based on pre-purchases. Just look to the game industry to find oh so many examples of failed launches due to too low server capacity. The devs arent always aware of how big of a hit something might turn out to be, and the economists running the resources arent known to plan too optimistically. 

• Like 2

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78