Sign in to follow this  
hypercide

MSFS2020, ORBX, and BING

Looking at the background of Orbx's new CEO (a PhD, a connection to information science, and an interest in "high growth and turnaround outcomes"), some questions that have been on my mind seem relevant: What, precisely, are the "quick growth and turnaround outcomes" available in a company that produces scenery for flight sim platforms? Why would one of the wealthiest companies in the world, Microsoft, decide to invest in a.......flight simulation game (that it's killed twice)?  So....to what extent is MSFS2020 actually a proof-of-concept for something that would make Google maps look like an etch-a-sketch (because BING has been mentioned frequently in the promo material)? What if Microsoft embedded a light version of this sim in BING? Is ORBX (not to mention Meteoblue and NavBlue) planning to get baked into some future iteration of BING and get paid till the sun goes supernova? That would certainly realize their new CEO's interest in "high growth"--cos it sure can't mean even more TE regions for XP11. 🤣

44 minutes ago, hypercide said:

"quick growth and turnaround outcomes"

Are we playing Buzzword Bingo?

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1 hour ago, hypercide said:

So....to what extent is MSFS2020 actually a proof-of-concept for something that would make Google maps look like an etch-a-sketch (because BING has been mentioned frequently in the promo material)? What if Microsoft embedded a light version of this sim in BING? Is ORBX (not to mention Meteoblue and NavBlue) planning to get baked into some future iteration of BING and get paid till the sun goes supernova? That would certainly realize their new CEO's interest in "high growth"--cos it sure can't mean even more TE regions for XP11. 🤣

FYI, it helps a bit if you adjust the tinfoil so that it still lets air in under the brim. Just a comfort tip 👍

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

2 hours ago, ZLA Steve said:

FYI, it helps a bit if you adjust the tinfoil so that it still lets air in under the brim. Just a comfort tip 👍

I know, I know—I'm as scientific as the guy; but even with the tinfoil back on the roll where it belongs, the same questions occurred to me.

• Like 1

The Orbx involvement as you described it, is maybe premature but not that far-fetched.

Asobo’s CEO said a couple of times that they were on a journey to make an Earth’s Twin.

Google Earth and Bing are free because they carry strategic commercial infos like ‘where is the closest pizzeria’ or ‘where could have my mufflers changed’ 😉 ?

I have the intuition (pure speculation) that Asobo’s Earth for FS20 is indeed a proof of concept and that smart developers will use it in the future for more than your round-of-the-mill airport.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I'm not really sure what this post is saying....

As for Orbx... well in the past year they've opened up a new UK dev centre and hired a large group of artists and developers. They've also opened up a new office in Melbourne with an interesting view. That sounds like "growth" to me in a niche industry.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

For the record, the Sun will never go supernova :wink:

Well, if it ever does, I won't care because I'll be several billion years dead by then... :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

12 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

I have the intuition (pure speculation) that Asobo’s Earth for FS20 is indeed a proof of concept and that smart developers will use it in the future for more than your round-of-the-mill airport.

Before the airline industry went in a ditch, a few airlines were using 3D models and a simple representation of the globe to show where specific flights were along their routes. I'm not sure that the demand for that is still there. But the concept for other online apps is viable, as you stated.