Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

July 16th, 2020 - Development/Insider Update

I think too many are expecting too much from this new sim at release . . . on day 1. The thing is, we're barely in Beta and there are still some rough edges that need to be ironed out.

Too many here are pushing tor VR, or seasons, or helicopters, or advanced ATC, when things like basic flight dynamics are stilll being tweaked at every build. What Asobo has done so far is amazing! But they need to remain focused on the basic core sim before working on any of the extras. Eventually I expect that all the things on the wish list will be added, but don't expect them on August 18th.

Edited by Arwen
  • Like 15
  • Upvote 5

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Not 'pushing' at all, just reading the roadmap and trying to anticipate what is on the horizon. Asobo/MS make the roadmap, and it's associated deliverables.

• Upvote 1

Bernard

2 hours ago, viz said:

Not 'pushing' at all, just reading the roadmap and trying to anticipate what is on the horizon. Asobo/MS make the roadmap, and it's associated deliverables.

None of the items that I mentioned in my post [VR, or seasons, or helicopters, or advanced ATC] are on their roadmap.

Latest Development Roadmap

~ Arwen ~

No but they are on the wishlist, so your 'too many are expecting too much' is unfounded. Most people here know and appreciate what is being released next month. The speculation surrounding an upcoming teaser and feature discoveries is entirely just.

The 'flight dynamics' will be a work in progress throughout the life of the product. I'd be surprised if it wasn't mentioned in most build updates. What isn't a given is the other features people are hoping to see implemented.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bernard

2 hours ago, Arwen said:

None of the items that I mentioned in my post [VR, or seasons, or helicopters, or advanced ATC] are on their roadmap.

Latest Development Roadmap

They never did place a specific functions to roadmap. It's only a general preview and direction of development.

1 hour ago, ludekbrno said:

They never did place a specific functions to roadmap. It's only a general preview and direction of development.

I know that.  I was just replying to Viz, who brought up the roadmap.

My original post wasn't directed at anyone specific.  But I have seen way too many (on this and on the official MSFS forum) puching way too much for extra features when some core parts of the sim are still being worked on.

Edited by Arwen
  • Like 2

~ Arwen ~

Asobo brought up the roadmap, specifically for community perusal... I (and others) merely offered an opinion regarding its contents, just as all interested parties have and will continue to do, every single time it's updated.

19 minutes ago, Arwen said:

I have seen way too many (on this and on the official MSFS forum) puching way too much for extra features when some core parts of the sim are still being worked on

How many is way too many Arwen? How much to way too much? What are core parts of the sim? What are extra features? Just to reiterate, it sounds to me as if you are conflating genuine discussion of upcoming/wishlisted/roadmap items with the TINY but perhaps vocal minority of trolls criticising the release state of a 10 year development project.

• Upvote 1

Bernard

Viz, this is what I posted originally (bold added for clarification):

"I think too many are expecting too much from this new sim at release . . . on day 1. The thing is, we're barely in Beta and there are still some rough edges that need to be ironed out.

Too many here are pushing tor VR, or seasons, or helicopters, or advanced ATC, when things like basic flight dynamics are still being tweaked at every build. What Asobo has done so far is amazing! But they need to remain focused on the basic core sim before working on any of the extras. Eventually I expect that all the things on the wish list will be added, but don't expect them on August 18th."

1. I was clear from the start the this was and is my opinion (the "I think" part)
  2. I was clear that I was talking about what is initially released ("on day 1" & "don't expect them on August 18th.")
  3. This is a fact: "there are still some rough edges that need to be ironed out"
  4. Also a fact: "things like basic flight dynamics are still being tweaked at every build"
  5. I'm not against them eventually adding all the items on the wish list (what I called the extras),
  6. The "core sim" is what I define as what we have right now (in the Beta).
Edited by Arwen
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

~ Arwen ~

2 hours ago, Arwen said:

(bold added for clarification):

Nice try Arwen, but it probably fell on deaf ears. :laugh:

huey1177.gif I want helicopters as you can probably tell, but the only way that I might be pushing it is with Emoji.

Wish all a good day! :happy:

Edited by jpc55
Added words

6 minutes ago, jpc55 said:

huey1177.gif I want helicopters as you can probably tell, but the only way that I might be pushing it is with Emoji.

He;icopters will be amazing with MSFS 2020 scenery!  But I can wait until Asobo can take the time to do them right.  Until then I'm pretty happy flying the PiperCessna 152 and the 2 Cubs for short dirt/grass runways (I LOVE the Savage Cub).

• Like 3

~ Arwen ~

Everyone needs to think long term. I wish I could say exactly what I do and don't like about the new MSFS, but the NDA and all. Best I can say is for people to keep perspective. How good was XP11 when it first released? It was full of bugs, lack of features, and performance issues. How about FSX/P3D? Both saw extended periods where the base simulators had many issues and you could argue P3D is still not where you'd want a simulator released 10 years ago to be, much less in 2020.

I'm not saying MSFS' release is going to be as bad as XP11 or FSX or P3D until it got to V4. Please don't read too much into my words. I really like the alpha (well, now "beta preview). I'm just saying to be realistic with your expectations and think long term. It may not be the simulator you want to use full time on day one. So what? As long as 3rd parties get on board and MSFS keeps polishing the product like they said they would, MSFS is the future. There's no doubt in my mind.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 6

Arwen, I'm sure we all appreciate the further clarification of things that are blindingly obvious. Things that I'm sure most here already knew before you posted your interjection. 😉

Bernard

9 hours ago, bonchie said:

Everyone needs to think long term. I wish I could say exactly what I do and don't like about the new MSFS, but the NDA and all. Best I can say is for people to keep perspective. How good was XP11 when it first released? It was full of bugs, lack of features, and performance issues. How about FSX/P3D? Both saw extended periods where the base simulators had many issues and you could argue P3D is still not where you'd want a simulator released 10 years ago to be, much less in 2020.

No, my friend ! As the saying goes, in the long term we are all dead 😀. I want a good sim now and not entering in the HF and update P3D sad carnaval. As a customer, I will not compare a  naked FS20 with a naked P3D but with my loaded P3D with Orbx and my good fleet of A2A aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

10 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

I want a good sim now and not entering in the HF and update P3D sad carnaval. 

Dom, something that seems to have been overlooked is that there will be no "HF and update P3D sad carnaval" (sic) with this platform!

It will be a fairly simple matter to automatically "push fixes," when required, even daily if necessary. 😉

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

5 minutes ago, n4gix said:

It will be a fairly simple matter to automatically "push fixes," when required, even daily if necessary.

"Sorry guys, you're getting this fix whether you want it or not."

You find out there's a multi-hour download between the time you launch the sim and the time you can start your flight.  You cannot continue without the update.

Hopefully they'll notify us so we can do the update when we're not trying to fly.

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;