Sign in to follow this  
spilok

P3d in the NEXT MONTH???

Just curious if you think P3d will UPDATE the program in any way within the next month.  The "impending" new sim will debut in a month and many simmers are pretty excited about it.  I, for one, am slowing down all P3d addon purchases now...and still trying to find the right combination of settings and tweaks to make V5 run without crashing, excessive stuttering (at some point in the flight), or excessive pauses (at some point in the flight).

What would be welcome from P3d would be another update or hotfix that addresses these performance concerns so that we can have 2 active sims on our systems.  I read about others who are threatening to delete P3d after the other sim arrives, and other such extremes.  There is so much to love about P3d, but V5 has taxed me somewhat into frustration....not every day....but most days.  I would love to have a stable flight sim that STAYS flyable for flight after flight in a continuous series without having to restart the sim for the second leg of a flight.

Just my opinion...but I was curious.  In the next couple of weeks, I would love to see some little remedies to V5's problems that I (and I'm not alone) encounter every day.

Stan

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

If the past is any guide, the next major version (5.1) won't be out until Sept/Oct. 

Hello Stan! 😉

I have no doubt the v5.1 will come soon and bring some polishing to the sim.
I for one love P3Dv5 despite the few bugs because I am lucky enough to have a good computer which allows me to get the best P3D can give.
And I don't believe P3D will be left away by any serious simmer when the "impending new sim" will debut.
It will be kind of "Wow" at the beginning but most of us will keep P3D for at least a year as our main flying platform, until third-party devs release compatible addons and MS release a few "patches".

P3D is alive for a good moment IMO.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I'm buy the new sim but seriously doubt I will leave P3D until VR is available in MSFS. The emersion factor of VR is too big  to leave behind.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Bill Moore

16 minutes ago, David Roch said:

Hello Stan! 😉

I have no doubt the v5.1 will come soon and bring some polishing to the sim.
I for one love P3Dv5 despite the few bugs because I am lucky enough to have a good computer which allows me to get the best P3D can give.
And I don't believe P3D will be left away by any serious simmer when the "impending new sim" will debut.
It will be kind of "Wow" at the beginning but most of us will keep P3D for at least a year as our main flying platform, until third-party devs release compatible addons and MS release a few "patches".

P3D is alive for a good moment IMO.

Agreed,  It'll take time till MSFS gains momentum. P3D v5 Will remain being my main sim for the foreseeable future

• Like 2

Francisco Aguiar

There will surely be a life past MSFS as it has been with FSX and P3D.

While the new guy in town surely looks astonishing in some previews, there will be a looooong time until:

- the BUGS will be sorted out so that the sim will be enjoyable

- all of our favorite ACFTs will make it to the new platform

- the users will open their wallets to repurchase those addon's

- MSFS will be stable enough to be able to go online (VATSIM)

- of course there will have to be a SW that plays with the SIM in the online world

- (and many other reasons)

At this point nobody realy knows what to expect from the sim. I hardly believe that e.g. the weather, clouds, etc. is sooooo fantastic because that will mean that HiFi, REX, etc. will have to pack and go (a bit harsh but true). Also if there is nothing more to be done with the mesh, vector and ground...say goodbye to ORBX, Pilot's, Flight1 Ground Environment, etc......

• Like 2

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

P3D has been continuously developed for the past ten years. There is no reason to believe this will suddenly come to a halt just because a new entertainment software that caters to a different market is released.

Edited by thepilot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm in with P3D for the long run, have and will keep buying scenery and aircraft.

Will get MSFS soon after release, but will not relegate P3D to the background until the new sim offers me what I need.

• Like 7

The definition of a pioneer is a man lying face down in the wilds, miles from anywhere, with an arrow in his back.  I delayed adopting P3D V5 until it had settled down and key add-ons were available.  I have switched this week without any problems and faster, smoother performance than V4.5 with the same settings.. 

I'll do the same for the new sim so I don't expect to purchase for 6 months or more, if I ever do  I the meantime. I'll be adding a few airports for sure.  And they'll need to sort out those word not allowed double shadows on tall buildings too, once you've seen it, you can't take your eyes off it!!

Edited by ailchim
  • Like 2

ngxu_banner.png

My computer runs P£D v4.5 really nicely (v5 just won't work on my system) and I have many of the ORBX scenery add ons. I have some great planes and honestly once I get flying looking out the window (from my fav GA planes) is fun but not the main game. I have doubts MSFS 2020 will run on my machine and I'm not too worried about it.

I plan to try the new SIM on the $1 deal and if it works I guess I'll have two SIMs to play with but P3D will be number one until I decide (if ever) to get some more serious hardware.

• Like 1

No reason to leave P3D V5 for the new MSFS2020. As long as their is no way of a full hardware cockpit integration (in my case B738) it's not more than a nice arcade game, people can play with a joystick.

• Like 1

For a new sim with cool addons, you may need hardware that is not yet available. And so many add-ons are not there. You don't fly on default planes in P3D. They will come gradually.
I believe that for most pilots, P3D will remain the main simulator.

Edited by BMW969

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

Because mine obsession to fly a world tour with “realistic” airports...

It's been 5 years that I accumulate in p3d all regions of the world with very many airports as soon as one presents itself (90% of orbx addons plus a lot of others, and one collection of aircrafts for all styles of flight).
...In short, a famous capital.

Yes, for not too much money with the future microsoft sim, you will have thirty airports well done and some Aircrafts... but the distance between them requires the use of liners to stay flying only with beautiful Airports sceneries.
Certainly the landscapes of the earth via google will be more impressive.
But the capital and the time to return to the same level as p3d does not seem reasonable to me and absolutely not guaranteed.
Make way for repetition of previous lost Simulators ?

• Like 1

Minor versions of P3d5 are not spaced out qually in time and rather depend on how many new features, enhancements and minor bugs need to be added. Major bugs affecting large numbers of users are addressed with Hotfixes. After the present HF2, P3d5 appears to be stable. Some users are still running out of VRAM and that seems to be something that LM might patch, if possible. LM is not going to compensate for users that don't understand the limitations of their own hardware, however. The other enhancement might be to add more features from trueSky to the PDK. Doing so will require a significant amount of time of testing third party weather injectors in a closed beta. It would not shock me to see one or both of these enhancements in P3d 5.1 some time within the next two months, which is slightly more optimistic than what Chapstick posted above in this thread.

I preordered MSFS and I am not worried about some hypothetical calamity that will befall me and my computer if I try using it. The worst thing that will happen will be that I will use it, recognize any limitations and then wait for updates.

Edited by jabloomf1230
  • Like 4

Good discussion.  I will NOT give up on P3d either.  I love the sim.  Actually, today, I had 3 excellent flights with ZERO problems (based on my latest settings).  I also look forward to Enhanced Atmospherics being wonderfully upgraded some day soon.  I fully plan on having 2 sims on my system.  V5 is on its own M2 Samsung (1TB). I plan on buying another M2 for the new sim as well. 

I do look forward, as I've indicated in my original post, to seeing a Hotfix or something that produces a higher degree of reliability and smoothness to Version 5.

Stan

• Like 2