Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Q to MS about the install in a low bandwidth environment

As a « bandwidth challenged » user, I’d appreciate to know if the following procedure is  OK

- Downloading the entire 90 GB sim onto a SSD plugged in the computer of a third party (a son) having a fast internet without installing it on this computer

- the 3rd party would then ship me the SSD for an installation on my computer.

Or is the sim tied/fingerprinted to the computer of download making it impossible ? 

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

A good question and I'd like to know the answer as well.  If I couldn't have upgraded my Internet this is the procedure I'd have had to use.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

This isn't possible as when you download the game from the Microsoft store it automatically installs, you'd be better off getting the physical version.

I agree, I would get the DVD version in this case. Probably should leave only a very few GB of updates to download upon installation,

I even ordered the physical version just for nostalgic reasons, while I have fast Internet. I have all FSXX since FS4 on my shelf and couldn't resist

I think it's high time MS making a FAQ or Q&A session or whatever to answer such questions. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I have the same problem. I will be physically taking my PC Tower to my mates house to download the install.

He has screens, keyboard, mice, etc so it's just the tower I need to take.

(Last time I looked Windows generates it's 16 digit machine identifier code from the internals - CPU, GPU, HDD, RAM so external peripherals are not involved)

It's a bit of a pain but I certainly don't want any activation issues.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

As a « bandwidth challenged » user, I’d appreciate to know if the following procedure is  OK

- Downloading the entire 90 GB sim onto a SSD plugged in the computer of a third party (a son) having a fast internet without installing it on this computer

Or is the sim tied/fingerprinted to the computer of download making it impossible ? 

Low bandwidth in the south of France? I thought it was all fibre there now? 

3 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

@pmb has the right idea of ordering the DVD version. It's a bit more expensive than the direct download and you'll have to wait a few days after 18 Aug before you can install but it's probably the best option as the following also applies:

Q: Is license sharing allowed on PC?
A: No, there is no license sharing. It requires explicit authentication per session.

Give people power to really test their personality.

Thank you all. I wanted to know if there was  another solution than DVD. Loading 10 DVD is not exactly fun.

9 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Low bandwidth in the south of France? I thought it was all fibre there now? 

I live in a village in the hills. No fibre. Maybe in 2022. I will look at 4g capped at 200 GB but my reception is also poor.

9 hours ago, pmb said:

I think it's high time MS making a FAQ or Q&A session or whatever to answer such questions. 

indeed. I find MS amateurish around this sim (Web site, release). See @Bert Pieke’s thread. They had at least a year to get everything ready and smooth, including a FAQ. You don’t release a 90 GB game without thinking that the download might be a problem for many. 

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

You don’t release a 90 GB game without thinking that the download might be a problem for many. 

Unfortunately (for bandwidth), today the trend is to have huge installation files for software. The last Call of Duty, just to name one, had an installation file of 100GB (without considering updates) and it was available for download only. It took me 36 hours to download it with my internet connection.

• Like 1

i9-11900K (5.3 GHz), 64 GB RAM (DDR4 3600), RTX 3070, 1 TB (M.2 SSD). Windows 10 Pro. Installed Sims: MSFS 2020.

14 minutes ago, Mirach said:

Unfortunately (for bandwidth), today the trend is to have huge installation files for software. The last Call of Duty, just to name one, had an installation file of 100GB (without considering updates) and it was available for download only. It took me 36 hours to download it with my internet connection.

I wouldn’t know as I tend to buy games on sale at Steam so they are already two or three years old 😅.

Seriously now. The FS20 team has made explicitly clear that the sim could be used with a poor connection and even without a connection at all. We could expect that MS does the necessary to set up special procedures.

For downloading it would be 5 days for me. We don’t even know if their servers have a resume feature. And it does  not go without saying.

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

I understand that, even 36 hours are not peanuts, but in my opinion there was poor communication from Microsoft: I think that they meant that poor connection / no connection at all was enough only for using it (since the minimum specs is for 5 Mbps), unless the purpose of the DVDs is to overcome this issue (in that case only the updates released in the meantime would be downloaded).

i9-11900K (5.3 GHz), 64 GB RAM (DDR4 3600), RTX 3070, 1 TB (M.2 SSD). Windows 10 Pro. Installed Sims: MSFS 2020.