Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

A question about 8.33 KHz comm spacing in P3d5 (resolved)

Myself and at least one other user have run across this issue with the RXP GTN 750 in P3d5. 

The Garmin GTN 750 trainer works perfectly offline. When tuned to any 8.33 KHz frequency in that mode, the display is correct. However at the stock EGKA Shoreham, In 8.33 KHz mode, the RXP gauge display always changes the Shoreham Tower frequency of 125.405 to 125.400. I'm not sure how this is even possible since the RXP gauge is based on the Garmin trainer. I thought that it could have something to do with also having the legacy radios also active, which of course can't display 8.33 KHZ frequencies correctly. I changed my panel configuration to eliminate the legacy radios, but that did not help. When flying the P3d5 default C-130 out of EGKA (!), which has native 8.33 KHz capabilities, the ATC works perfectly. The gauge is installed in the RealAir Turbine Duke and works perfectly in the normal comm mode.  It's also possible that this one frequency (125.405) is broken, as I haven't spent time trying to check every 8.33 KHz frequency. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The only reason the GTN can change frequency automatically is because the simulator frequency is changing and it is syncing with it. The reason the simulator frequency is changing then is unknown to me, but I'm looking at this EGKA info which differs:

https://skyvector.com/airport/EGKA/Shoreham-Airport

https://www.vatsim.uk/airports/EGKA

https://garfnet.org.uk/cms/tables/radio-frequencies/aircraft-frequencies-uk-europe/

They are listing 125.40 (not 125.405). Is the GTN showing 125.405 in its database?

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

The GTN database shows 125.405, but the stock P3d5 EGKA shows 125.40.

Update: I also checked the latest Navigraph AIRAC and it shows 125.40 also, as does fsaerodata. Maybe the issue is with the trainer.

Edited by jabloomf1230

The trainer DB is probably wrong in this case, but maybe not:

If there is any code not working with 8.33Khz in P3D5 and 'rounding' these to 25Khz, the 125.405 will get rounded to 125.40 into P3D5, which then will sync back as 125.400 into the GTN.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

I don't suggest that you spend  too much time on this, as it doesn't seem to be easily correctable. It seems like the real world EGKA and a few of the recent 3rd party versions have the correct tower frequency. I'm going to check with Navigraph via an email, to see what the story is with their database. These are the only invalid comm frequency fractions:

.020, .045, .070, .095

Every other comm frequency that ends in a 0 or a 5 is valid.

Ok, just keep us posted as this might help others!

PS: So much so for those claiming the GTN DB is outdated and unusable, vs the latest 3rd party DB you can update the simulator with. This goes down to: there can be errors in any DB but most DB items don't change much over time.

10 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

but the RXP gauge is working correctly

This is all good to me 🙂 

Thank you for your astute research on this issue, it will certainly help others in the future wondering about this.