Sign in to follow this  
seaman

Upgrade PC for MSFS2020

I guess yet another upgrade question...

But need really some basic advice after having read many posts.

My system is relatively old (spare the details on the SSD and HDD):

i2600K OC 4.4 Ghz 

16 Gb

RTX2070

Cooler : Noctua NH-D14

I intend to upgrade in the next 6 months.

I have seen the option to go with Intel (10900K) or Ryzen processors

Obviously new motherboard and 32 GB

But, importantly, I would like to keep the current Win 10 installation and not re-install everything on the PC so reusing case and other hardware (e.g. cooler).

Which configuration would you suggest aiming at the best hardware minus one of two notch (in term of budget)? e.g. MOBO, memory and of course CPU

I am still unclear on what would drive the choice of Intel vs Ryzen. Not sure if having a currently Intel based system would mean I risk having more problems if migrating to the Ryzen and not sure if the combination Ryzen-NVIDIA works fine.

Any help and guidance would really be appreciated.

S.

Here’s what I just ordered to go with my RTX2080ti

CPU: i9 10900k

Mobo: GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS Master

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 (CAS 16)

PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold

Cooler: EVGA CLC 280mm All-in-One RGB LED CPU Liquid Cooler

Case: Corsair Icue 465X RGB Mid-Tower ATX Smart Case, Black - CC-9011188-WW

I’m also planning (hoping?) to not do a full reinstall of windows etc...

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

15 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Here’s what I just ordered to go with my RTX2080ti

CPU: i9 10900k

Mobo: GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS Master

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 (CAS 16)

PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold

Cooler: EVGA CLC 280mm All-in-One RGB LED CPU Liquid Cooler

Case: Corsair Icue 465X RGB Mid-Tower ATX Smart Case, Black - CC-9011188-WW

I’m also planning (hoping?) to not do a full reinstall of windows etc...

Hi regis9

Thanks

I hope as well not to reinstall, but had made some research months ago and found a number of resources where this is possible with Win 10, some people reported that it was even easier than expected.

I have read some complaints about the 10900K related to support for PCIe4, not sure how this is relevant.

I would do a new install of Win10 since the drivers etc will be different. You can try to allow Windows to change the drivers but your install may become unstable and you will spend hours and hours tracking down any problems.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Yeah I’m planning to try not reinstalling everything first, with the knowledge that if things don’t go well I may have to do so in the end.  Can’t hurt to try though.

@seaman I forgot to mention in my original post that other than the cpu, most of what I bought was targeting a notch or two below the top of the line, similar to what you’re looking for.

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

The 10900K costs significantly more for variable performance increases. Do you play at 1080, 1440 or 4k? Game benchmark tests give the 10900K a decent edge at 1080 of maybe 10-15% over the 3700X. Once you get into 1440 or 4k the gap narrows quite a bit. The 10900K costs about $550 while the 3700X costs about $280 so you pay 100% more for not a massive performance increase. You could pick up a 3700X + a good X570 mobo for about $80 more than getting just the 10900K alone. Once AMD release their Zen 3 chips this year/next year you could always decide to upgrade the CPU and it'll slot fine into the X570.

I went from Intel to Ryzen recently and it was a completely painless experience. Didn't have to reinstall Windows or anything - just slotted the SSD drive into the mobo and it booted first time no issues. Works fine with my Nvidia card too.

On 7/19/2020 at 10:57 PM, Tektolnes said:

The 10900K costs significantly more for variable performance increases. Do you play at 1080, 1440 or 4k? Game benchmark tests give the 10900K a decent edge at 1080 of maybe 10-15% over the 3700X. Once you get into 1440 or 4k the gap narrows quite a bit. The 10900K costs about $550 while the 3700X costs about $280 so you pay 100% more for not a massive performance increase. You could pick up a 3700X + a good X570 mobo for about $80 more than getting just the 10900K alone. Once AMD release their Zen 3 chips this year/next year you could always decide to upgrade the CPU and it'll slot fine into the X570.

I went from Intel to Ryzen recently and it was a completely painless experience. Didn't have to reinstall Windows or anything - just slotted the SSD drive into the mobo and it booted first time no issues. Works fine with my Nvidia card too.

I have 1440p resolution.

Thanks for the feedback