Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

How does FS handle airports that are under maintenance?

15 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I know they have put AI to good use, and only a handfull of the 37.000 airports in the sim are handcrafted. If the airports are imported from bing maps through algorithms

That's not how I understand the video. They state that all 37K are hand crafted. A number of them being high detailed. But how I get it all were created from Bing imagery. That's exactly what they said in the vid.

10 hours ago, Chock said:

[...]

Very good post. Rather than simulate these "annoying" things, I'd so much like to have some extensive failure module. In the future at least, since we've heard nothing about such functionality so far. Any flight simulator, especially talking about FFSs, has the ability to train a vast amount of situations and fail virtually everything you could think of (and a ton of stuff you might not really think of). A flight sim in the r/w is mainly a training tool, and I'd so much love our PC version have some more of this spirit as well, beyond all the amazing eye-candy. I had always thought some virtual instructor station with deep functionality and integration would boots the usefulness of this simulation by orders of magnitude. But oh well, we've not even started with the 10-year period that apparently is to come.

I generally find that Google's aerial imagery is updated more frequently than Bing's. One notable exception is my local airport, KCVG (Cincinnati). In Bing I see the massive construction site on the south side of the airport for the new Amazon Global Air Hub, but in Google I still see nothing but trees and pastures from 2+ years ago. I wonder if CVG is specifically targeted for more frequent Bing updates so that Amazon execs in Seattle can keep up to date with construction! 🙂

I'm curious to know how airports that were under construction or heavy maintenance are handled by MSFS2020. For example, Southend airport shows up as a giant building site because the Bing imagery was captured during their major rebuild a year or 2 ago. Does that get rendered into the sim as shown on Bing maps or does a human go through and tidy it up?

i7-10700K; RTX 2070 Super; 16GB; P3Dv4.5HF3 & MSFS2020.