Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Anyone else coming back to simming because of MSFS2020?

Ive been simming on and off for about 20 years. Personally, I love the heavy metal and deep simulations from devs like PMDG. However, because of MSFS, I suspect I will be spending a lot of time with GA farting about looking at all the sights at sub 100 kts. Are you a returning simmer because of MSFS let us know and chime in 🙂 Welcome back! It's a great time to be alive!

• Like 8

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

I might add that I love my p3d v4 (never saw a reason to get v5), but with fsms looming on the horizon I feel like my sim world so far as been a world of make-belive. Now I forsee a future in simming where my simming hobby will help educate me in regards to geography and how wonderful the world really is. I can't wait for it's release!

• Like 9

Andreas Stangenes

Last time I simmed was probably 5-6 years ago, on FSX. I just lost interest, finding myself spending more time tinkering with the config file to minimize stutters based on some obscure forum post than actually flying.

On the 18th, I'll be back 🙂

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

I started simming in my teens with FS98 and stopped a few years after FSX came out.

As an Xbox gamer I saw the announcement live as it happed for the new FS, I literally couldn't believe it was actually happening, I was fully onboard from that moment on.

I also got to play it last year at X019 (and make a fool of myself in front of a dev!).

After checking my junk folder it seems I'll be back earlier than expected...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Same for me. Started already once again in 2013 with a new PC and X-Plane, but became frustrated after some time because of the bad performance when you start putting in eye candy.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Used to fly on X plane quite a lot. Downloaded Gigs of ortho but I had problems with random ctd's so I just kinda stopped flying. Ended up flying DCS.

Really have high hopes for this one. I sure hope it works as good as it looks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Started 23 years ago with FS98. FS2000 and FS2002 followed, then beta'ed FS2004 and FSX. Luckily skipped the entire P3D era as I was shifting into r/w aviation exclusively. So I guess for this sim there could not be a better time to come back.

Up untill now simming for me has been focused on learning the procedures and understanding the aircrafts. I never really went into the ortho scenery thing because of the way I fly (more of an impulsive flyer, plus there is already too much technical stuff I need to update/bug fix when my sim hasnt been used in a while). Now, though, I am definately gonna appreciate the world more since it actually reflects the real world. Probably gonna start using the sim to investigate potential holiday destinations. Im also gonna do more storm chasing! 🤩

Andreas Stangenes

Pretty much left the scene once P3D came out...it more or less started to look like a remastered FS2004 at that point on couldn't justify spending time and money on ad-dons/hardware  just to make it look marginally better.

FS2020 is a generational leap and in ways what I always dreamed a Flight Simulator I feel very much like when I first got my hands on FS2004 and that exciting world of flight simulator first opened up to me!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Me, in some way...

I had long lost any interest in P3D / FSX, X-Plane was in the same class... Had turned mostly into IL2 and DCS, but Air Combat has no appeal to me.  Even desperately tried ( and enjoyed I must admit! ) War Thunder.

For more technical stuff I used PSX and ELITE for quite some years, but lost interest as well, ELITE because I do no longer hope to get an IFR ticket, PSX because it's too complex for my shrinking neural network...

So, YES!, MFS is fresh air!!!! and will surely bring me back to desktop flight simulation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Not me.  I've been consistently simming since 1988 buying every version since.  MSFS will be no different looking forward to it.  Still flying P3D and Xplane.

• Like 1

Sean Green

I started simming with FS2002 and was very much into it. I got FS2004, FSX, P3Dv2, 3, and 4 they day they came out. Along with each platform, I got some third party aircraft, REX, and every ORBX region available. I can appreciate being a simmer who is into procedural flying, meaning flying a plane like a PMDG aircraft by the numers, but mostly I like to fly low and slow and view scenery and visit different places.

After a some years, I eventually got completely board seeing the same ground textures over and over and over. The same olive and tan colored landscapes along with the same gigantic trees and the same huge depictions of houses, as well as very similar looking buildings everywhere. For me, the platform became very repetitive from a scenery perspective. 

I eventually got X-plane 11 and purchased Orbx True Earth Washington state and that was exactly what I was looking for. However, with the announcement of MSFS, I decided to wait for that instead of continuing to purchase more True Earth products, as well as hard drive space, which is needed with True Earth products, plus True Earth is very limited in the scenery that is available. 

Based on the images and videos that Asobo/Microsoft have provided, I am certain that I will be flying in the sim a many, many hours. I will be able to fly in most places in the world and see scenery I never thought possible. I am really looking forward to the aircraft that will be available, the clouds, the weather, the live air traffic, etc., and think it will be great that Asobo will continue to upgrade and enhance the platform after the release on August 18. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

3 hours ago, jcomm said:

Me, in some way...

I had long lost any interest in P3D / FSX, X-Plane was in the same class... Had turned mostly into IL2 and DCS, but Air Combat has no appeal to me.  Even desperately tried ( and enjoyed I must admit! ) War Thunder.

For more technical stuff I used PSX and ELITE for quite some years, but lost interest as well, ELITE because I do no longer hope to get an IFR ticket, PSX because it's too complex for my shrinking neural network...

So, YES!, MFS is fresh air!!!! and will surely bring me back to desktop flight simulation.

let’s hope it doesn’t get uninstalled after the first week of use!!! I haven’t seen any gliders btw 😉

hope you’re staying well and healthy my friend!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Enrique Vaamonde

In a way, yes however looking at the screenshots of the airports I can't stop thinking it looks a bit cartoonish.  Guess will have to see once its released.

I have P3d V4 but don't really have motivation to fly these days as everything seems to take forever to load and I have a pretty high end PC.

This one looks very good but will see once its released.  A whole new flight sim will be nice not something which is still built from 2006 code.

45 minutes ago, evaamo said:

let’s hope it doesn’t get uninstalled after the first week of use!!! I haven’t seen any gliders btw 😉

hope you’re staying well and healthy my friend!

Dear Enrique, yes, all good around here ( LPPT, LPMT, LPMN 🙂 ) and, I  keep polling the PSX forums everyday, although I no longer use the sim. But I know you do, even with excellent external visuals, which, who knows, can probably in the near future also be based on MFS !

All the Best !

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...