Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Anyone else coming back to simming because of MSFS2020?

Thinking I will. Pricing out a new computer build, but may wait a month or two for first impressions on what hardware seems to work best. Someone develop a benchmark ASAP please! I'm just getting back up to speed... are we going to have PMDG add-on planes for this anytime soon? I also like the heavy metal.

Edited by cmeeks
  • Like 1

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

Strongly considering building a PC for it after 8 years of not using a sim (busy with university + grad school). (Account made 11 years ago here, but I think I had another account before the big AVSIM hack as well.)

Edited by Xtremekh
  • Upvote 1

I've been flying flight simulators since Aviator on the BBC micro in 1983. Then sublogic Flight Sim2...which lead me learning to fly in real life. I followed flight sims until about 2004 but was endlessly frustrated with trying to fly at a couple of frames a second, even on decent hardware. And then I thought the whole thing was dead following the ACES closure. I installed FSX a few years back but wasn't impressed - I hadn't twigged that there was a community which could make the older sims look good. 

When this new sim was announced I was stunned - I rushed out and bought a new high end PC and (to curb my impatience) initially installed Aerofly FS2 - which was comparatively stunning - and could't believe I could get 200+ frames a second with decent scenery. But the absence of depth lead me to X-Plane - and the world of Ortho4XP. This, with planes like the Hotstart TBM 900 has made this a really special experience & way beyond what I had expected - quite often suspension of disbelief (until the weather reloads, or the whole thing crashes). But with an i9 processor and a 2080ti I only get 20-30 fps  with zoom level 16-18 ortho scenery at 1080 resolution (and not always maxed out on the sliders). I'd love to be at a resolution where I can read figures off a G1000. So I'm really excited about a sim which can bring modern optimisation a la Aerofly with serious scenery/flight models/aircraft. A shame that there isn't photogrammetry for the UK (apart from Southampton/Portsmouth) - but more important to me is the feeling of realism - when managing vectors etc & a complex aircraft I'm not really counting windows on houses. Varied scenery at altitude, though, changes everything and brings back the feeling of exploration to a flight.

Can't wait - the whole thing is the most unexpected felicity. Suspect I'll still run up XP with the TBM at times, but clearly this is a whole new ballgame.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Not ‘coming back’, but reinvigorated. I was getting a bit disillusioned with the ever-widening gap between the world that XPlane and DCS provide, and the worlds of other modern games (yes, games, sorry!). 

Now we have something that motivates me to spend a lot of time in its world, so I’m feeling the rush of teenage-love for flight-sims again. But with the jaded-pessimism of a middle-aged man who saw MS Flight and Dovetail’s FSW snatched away from him still lurking in the background.

• Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

After MS announced they were leaving the flightsim genre, I made the jump to Xplane10 and Xplane11 and have put in hundreds of some of the most satisfying flying hours Ive experienced in 25 years of simming.

Although I fully expect fs2020 to be full of issues at first and will likely need some years to tweak its new flight physics on offer I am nonetheless quite excited to experience whatever new future potential MS has in store with this new begining!

I dont expect to be torn away from xplane all that fast as life simply tells us nothing will be so perfect or so much better in an instant, but im hpeful and very willing to give her the ol tire kick when she lands next month...very pleasing news...will be fun waiting and trying.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Nate1 said:

Aviator on the BBC micro

That was one of my first experiences with a flight sim too - although 'sim' is probably giving it too grand a title - had a great time shooting the bugs though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ian Box

Yes it brought me back. Flying is a very visual thing, and I think the visuals are finally HERE now. Its very appealing looking, you'll be able to see real places out the window below, and the skies and weather looks insane. 

• Upvote 1

I never "left" flight simming, but honestly since the MFS announcement last year I've lost interest in flying with P3D anymore so I haven't been flying much at all these past few months.

Thanks to MFS though I'm building a new PC for the first time in ten years (parts coming this week) and I have more enthusiasm for flight sim today than I have in a very long time.  Looking forward to spending a ton of time in the virtual air again!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Coming back after my interest died with FSX. I've kept one eye on the flight SIM scene since though - and even came close to buying xplane. But I never did, as despite this being the best of a bad bunch It was plain to see that the coding was way behind modern day tech and no amount of money could ever bring it or others up to my expectations.

Fingers crossed for FS2020 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

On 7/18/2020 at 11:50 PM, Andreas Stangenes said:

Ive been simming on and off for about 20 years. Personally, I love the heavy metal and deep simulations from devs like PMDG. However, because of MSFS, I suspect I will be spending a lot of time with GA farting about looking at all the sights at sub 100 kts. Are you a returning simmer because of MSFS let us know and chime in 🙂 Welcome back! It's a great time to be alive!

Yep, was a fanatic. Moderated a forum, it was a major hobby. Not done any for years, just contributed on the Hardware Forum. Will be back for FS2020. I feel I have to. I feel its the sim that simmers have always dreamt of.

Was a photographer and we did work for a company that provided scientific equipment for schools and collages. It was on one of their Sinclair ZX80's I experienced my first sim. Then the spectrum, then the Commodore Amiga. Flight of The Intruder was pretty good on the Commodore. Flight Unlimited of course. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Upvote 1

I played FS 2004 quite a lot when it was popular, and I really miss it, can't wait to fly again.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

As soon as MSFS 2020 was announced I immediately lost interest in P3D V4.5. 

I have already purchased the Premium Deluxe MSFS2020 because I know how good it is going to be. 😉

Edit: Apparently my account has be been wiped. I didn't have a ton of posts but I have been a member since 2012. Weird. 

Edited by tc9300

September 10, 2012

Strange, your profile bears you out.

Still, it's not all bad. At least you got to get that post in. Having said that, it may well be gone in the morning! 😏

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

On 7/19/2020 at 3:11 AM, badderjet said:

Started 23 years ago with FS98. FS2000 and FS2002 followed, then beta'ed FS2004 and FSX. Luckily skipped the entire P3D era as I was shifting into r/w aviation exclusively. So I guess for this sim there could not be a better time to come back.

How did that (beta) work back in the day? Did they send you a disc, instructions ect on things to look for?

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

I initially lost interest after the demise of FSW. To me, they were the last (...Jedi) Dev really looking to take their flight sim to the next level.

I deleted P3D, and stuck with XP11 for the helos....but I was just tired of the pile of addons, minor updates from LM / LR, and constant performance issues even with a high spec PC.

Little did I know, there was another (Jedi...a new hope) Dev creating the next generation sim behind the scenes.

When MSFS announced their new sim (and I saw the trailer, and YT vids on the flying event), I stopped playing XP11. I refused to bother with any of the older sims with MSFS around the corner.

Folks, MSFS is bringing us the "world" in the base sim, a hefty amount of aircraft, multiple layers of clouds (to the horizon) and a ton of other advancements detailed in their discovery series.

The build up is insane and I will be back to flight simming when MSFS is released...new pc build, 4k TV setup and tons of excitement.

Also...

It is strange that after all MSFS has done to showcase their new product, and give insight to their attention to detail, some are "concerned about this" and "holding out for that". No mater what MSFS won't have at launch, it is the best thing that has happened to the flight sim world in the last 10 years....and will be for the next 10 years. No other Dev is making this kind of investment / putting this type of technology in their flight sim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1