Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Anyone else coming back to simming because of MSFS2020?

On 7/18/2020 at 5:50 PM, Andreas Stangenes said:

It's a great time to be alive!

I'm glad I made it

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I wonder how many will be leaving again after it is released? :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

10 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

it is the best thing that has happened to the flight sim world in the last 10 years....

Totally agree. When I first saw the first screenshots, my initial reaction was this is a scam, vaporware.

I am really looking forward to it. Already bought the premium deluxe and got the day off from work.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have FSX & Prepared 4.5, but I haven't used them for a year or two. I just got too disillusioned with all the careful installing of addons, aircraft, scenery, etc, and trying to get them all cooperating together.

I was not really intending to bother with MSFS2020, as I don't like logging into Microsoft account, syncing my devices, & all the intrusion that seems to go with it. It's not just Microsoft, I feel the same about Facebook and Google - they're all too invasive by far.

But after seeing so many of the MSFS2020 trailers and screenshots & reading of it's progress, I can't really let it pass. It really does look like an astounding step up. So I begrudgingly signed into Microsoft account, and pre-ordered the Premium Deluxe. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

I deleted P3D, and stuck with XP11 for the helos

Have you tried DCS for helo flying? They say the flight model is close to the real thing. I know I have a hard time flying it. Much harder than FSX helo's but that's not saying much.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I wonder how many will be leaving again after it is released? :laugh:

Absolutely loved this comment!

Chris, you are a true veteran (and im not referring to your military service, mind you :-))

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lancealotg said:

Have you tried DCS for helo flying? They say the flight model is close to the real thing. I know I have a hard time flying it. Much harder than FSX helo's but that's not saying much.

Yes, i have the Huey for DCS. To me, XP11 was better overall for helos with more places to go, and superior night lighting.

• Like 1

I've been hanging around for 20+ years and in the earlier days...10+ years ago, I was pretty active. Possibly some of you old timers will remember my AV84FUN handle.

I am a RW pilot with 1000TT, Single, Multi, Comm, Inst ratings.

I backed out of FSX due to time constraints and because I became weary with hardware/software config issues.

I will wait until late fall--early winter to let the commentary/suggestions/tips become robust and then, if all is as good as I hope, I will get back with a vengeance and fully expect to spend $2k+ on PC, monitor and flight control/avionics upgrades.

I have some such gear...maybe 10 years old. Do I assume correctly that gear that worked on FSX and Windows 8 ought to work on 2020 running Win 10?

Thanks!

Jim

• Like 1

Difficult to say, Jim, without you being specific about what gear you currently have. I have a pretty old computer, yet I the components I bought when I built my pc like more than 6 years ago were top notch. I'm kinda surprised how well my gtx 980TI has held up, and it is still mentioned in some benchmark tests today. I am going to see what happens in the gfx-card market the next year to probably upgrade that, but I dont have a rush. I use various samsung evo ssd (500gb - 1tb), and my i7-6700k is overclocked to 4.4ghz. 16gb of ram doesn't seem to be a liability, but I can just upgrade that to 32gb after launch if I feel I need to. I've gotten myself a 4k ultra-widescreen that is hopefully going to be amazing, but might also expose the weaknesses of my 980ti. Pretty excited to see how it all plays out. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

O, yes. Used FS2 to FSX and also Flight Assignment: A.T.P. and A320 Airbus. After FSX became graphically less and less attractive over the years, I had stopped flight simming five or six years ago. I never found X-Plane or Prepar3d convincing as an alternative. And then last year came the E3 ... and the breathtaking announce trailer. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 6:54 PM, Andreas Stangenes said:

I might add that I love my p3d v4 (never saw a reason to get v5), but with fsms looming on the horizon I feel like my sim world so far as been a world of make-belive. Now I forsee a future in simming where my simming hobby will help educate me in regards to geography and how wonderful the world really is. I can't wait for it's release!

Agreed!

• Like 1

Chris Camp

On 7/21/2020 at 10:44 PM, av84fun said:

I have some such gear...maybe 10 years old. Do I assume correctly that gear that worked on FSX and Windows 8 ought to work on 2020 running Win 10?

Well, if you're talking about joysticks and such, if they're game port versions you'll have to buy USB versions to replace them as modern computers don't have game ports. 😄 

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Thanks for the replies folks.

Sorry I was not specific when I mentioned "gear." What I meant was flight controls...radio stack etc. All I have left are two Saitek devices...an X52 stick I used when flying stick & rudder aircraft and a switch panel with Master switches...gear lever etc. Both USB.

I think my PC will hold up until the new generations of CPU/GPU are released.....i7 running at 3.6 with 16 RAM and a 7500 GPU with 4.

If 2020 stutters on those specs I don't think I'll go whole hog which for me would be $4-5k on PC/monitors/Flight controls upgrades because while hope springs eternal, my experience over several generations up to FSX is that no amount of money (within reason) could banish the stutters without massive tweaking which was and is WAY beyond my pay grade.* (-:

Best,

Jim

*The above assumes I choose the middle "quality" settings which, from what I've seen so far seem to be way better than FSX.

13 minutes ago, av84fun said:

Both USB.

My comment about game ports was mostly a joke, but I remember when I bought a new computer and had to upgrade my entire CH Products suite.

I've been advising people to try MSFS on their existing hardware first, then decide what needs to be upgraded.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

30 minutes ago, LHookins said:

My comment about game ports was mostly a joke, but I remember when I bought a new computer and had to upgrade my entire CH Products suite.

I've been advising people to try MSFS on their existing hardware first, then decide what needs to be upgraded.

Hook

I think this is wise. I know aerofly seriously lacks depth - but at the same time it was very interesting to see what a modern rendering engine could be like. And much as I love Xplane, this is a whole new generation (and method of delivery). Feel naturally cautious on this as I recall having to run FS5 in a tiny, tiny window in order for it to be flyable...even on what was a fairly decent pc for the time. But I'm hoping, and expecting that for once we will have something that aligns with the average hardware*, rather than hugely exceeding it.

*i.e. the average hardware of someone invested in simulation, rather than hoping for GTA visuals on a clapped-out laptop

• Like 1