Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

What's Up With Those 37000 Airports?

With Flight Simulator 2020 set for release on the 18th of August, there remains some confusion over exactly what the sim will be offering. Specifically, what's the deal with the number of available airports? Also this week - Microsoft detail how the in-game Market-Place will work, the beta update

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Im a bit unsure what the topic of your post is. I mean, do you feel that 37,000 airports is a too low or too high number? Are you unsure about the quality of those 37k airports? Could you please specify your topic? 

Afaik, Asobo claim they have represented every single airport in the world due to satelite imagery, and 40 of those are hand crafted. Several more might have had an asobo representative have a look at them for quality control. 

Edited by Andreas Stangenes

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

2 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Im a bit unsure what the topic of your post is. I mean, do you feel that 37,000 airports is a too low or too high number? Are you unsure about the quality of those 37k airports? Could you please specify your topic? 

The video is regarding what type of quality people expect from the various types of airports anticipated to be in the SIM.

The video shows, that there are three basic types, and discusses the differences.

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I've got a feeling they'll be better then my default FSX. 😉

• Like 3

Seems to me that some people think that all the 37.000 airports are all handcrafted or at least gotten a personal touch. From the video I understood they use a personal touch to educate the AI that imports the rest. I would never think that asobo has manually looked through ever single airport. This is also why I think that airports are prone to errors and that bug fixes will keep happening to correct them after the initial release. I dont think, or at least hope, we wont see any major gfx errors like in fsx (big gaping holes in the earth anyone?). I think AI is a really big step forward in regards to the quality we get out of the box. 

I could be wrong though, and Asobo has indeed had to do manual passes on all the airports.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

10 hours ago, Doug47 said:

I've got a feeling they'll be better then my default FSX. 😉

Way better 🙂 I can vouch for that 🙂

• Like 2

Remember this one where the AI mis-interpreted the runway?  😀

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Alpha-06-05-2

MaVe Creations - FSLTL - Free AI sounds - Giving your airports more atmosphere!

www.mavecreations.weebly.com

7 minutes ago, MaVe64 said:

Thats whut testers is for! ✈️

• Like 1

Devons rig

And that one is STILL better then my default FSX. 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaVe64 said:

They tells, that all of 37000+ airports are manually edited (not only AI) and runways and taxiways from satelitte pictures are manually replaced by one of procedural generated surface (concrete, asphalt, grass...). So if this is really some airport, this picture must be taken before processing.

when I consider how many different airports I have flown from/to in the last 10 years (aprox 30-40, mostly stuff i bought) then I see with the 37000 still enough possibilities to explore new stuff 😅

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ludekbrno said:

So if this is really some airport, this picture must be taken before processing.

This image was taken from Alpha 1... long before the smaller airports were touched at all.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

19 hours ago, Doug47 said:

And that one is STILL better then my default FSX. 😂

🤣🤣

André

21 hours ago, MaVe64 said:

The runway is on the left side looking good.