Sign in to follow this  
misgav

Dah! scenery question

I've seen all the great videos showing the progress of FS2020's development. Yes, I was swept away!

Now the product is coming out, but I don't understand one aspect- global scenery. How does MS expect to load all that VFR photo realistic quality scenery into the sim? We would need a mainframe computer for that! Is it done by streaming? Separate scenery packages to purchase?

Am I missing something here?

Eytan Ornstein

From what I have read, it is done by flying ONLINE and streaming the scenery (provided you have fast internet and good bandwidth) or flying off line and having to download all of the scenery from departure to arrival airports.  Or other option is to fly without the quality VFR photo scenery.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

31 minutes ago, misgav said:

I've seen all the great videos showing the progress of FS2020's development. Yes, I was swept away!

Now the product is coming out, but I don't understand one aspect- global scenery. How does MS expect to load all that VFR photo realistic quality scenery into the sim? We would need a mainframe computer for that! Is it done by streaming? Separate scenery packages to purchase?

Am I missing something here?

Eytan Ornstein

Take a look: 

• Like 2

You are streaming the scenery..think it like watching Youtube or Netflix. No one could have all of that data locally so you stream the bits you need to watch and there is the option to cache some bits locally offline.

You should watch this (and the other videos in the series) from the devs:

Edited by highflyer2020

Wow! Those videos are amazing and educational. Didn't know they existed.

So I assume there is a default scenery on the cd's that come with the sim for those who wish to fly offline. The option of precaching scenery is great. My internet connection varies- from 12MBs on a bad day, to 25 on a good day, thanks to my inconsistent internet provider. Is this a range that enable me to fly online and enjoy the scenery?

Eytan

50 minutes ago, misgav said:

So I assume there is a default scenery on the cd's that come with the sim for those who wish to fly offline. The option of precaching scenery is great. My internet connection varies- from 12MBs on a bad day, to 25 on a good day, thanks to my inconsistent internet provider. Is this a range that enable me to fly online and enjoy the scenery?

Eytan

My internet speed is 8 Mbps and i am planning to fly MSFS 🙂

Bert

53 minutes ago, misgav said:

Eytan

Shalom Eytan

If I understand it well, they offer an adaptative streaming. The MS server will stream as much as your connection can gobble. Minimum is 5 Mbps, recommended 20, ideal 50.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam