Sign in to follow this  
BobP

P3dv5.1 resets graphic settings when exceeding VRAM limits

I'm afraid I may be the only person in this community who did not realize P3Dv5 latest version will give you a chance to recover from exceeding VRAM limits. Also, I never watched Game of Thrones.

I never noticed it because I rarely get the error but read about the feature on LM's description. I tried it out yesterday by maxing everything (7.1 VRam available). If you trip the VRAM circuit breaker it now offers a Retry Button, lowers graphic settings then resets the scenario. Much preferable than a crash to desktop.

Bob

HF2 is stable for me with high settings and great performance.  It's a winner now.  But even so, if I decide to max the res slider and exceed the limits, my P3Dv5HF2 gives me a choice of exiting the program, or crashing hard (i.e. reset button needed).   It does not return to default settings and continue for me.  You are fortunate.  I've heard many users get a reset with HF2, but I've never seen it do that.

That's better than what my hardware gave me with RTM and HF1, which would simply crash hard without warning.   A soft crash would be a CTD and I never had that benefit.  Therefore, I can say that I've never had a CTD with P3Dv5  😁

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

5.1 will not be out for a while!

We are still on v5 HF2.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

When I'm close to VRAM limit my P3Dv5HF2 automatically disables EA and reloads scene to old visuals (without resetting settings to defaults). Very interesting.

I still have trees transparency issues (with EA off and on) and I'm not sure ORBX Global is working (I remember how Global textures looked like in P3Dv4.5).

Adrian

This is good news, thanks.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;