Sign in to follow this  
rob0203

8.33 MHz

Is there also a possibility to turn off the 8.33 MHz? The comm’s of Pmdg don’t support it, so I can’t tune the frequencies. 

2 hours ago, rob0203 said:

Is there also a possibility to turn off the 8.33 MHz? The comm’s of Pmdg don’t support it, so I can’t tune the frequencies. 

Unfortunately, if either the sim's database or the 3rd party airport uses 8.33 KHz com frequencies, they can only be eliminated airport by airport. The complicated method is to use Airport Design Editor and update the stock P3d5 airport. The simple method is undocumented but it might work, so I would try that first:

1. Use the Windows explorer to go to the hidden folder C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Internal Workings\VoxATC P3D 5\appdata
  2. There are a number of airport XML file which can be edited with Notepad. Find the airport's ICAO code and open the file. For example, EGKA.xml is:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> 
    <Airport Airspace="ukatz">
    	<ATSUTower Name="Shoreham" Frequency="123.15" />
    	<ATSUTower Name="Shoreham" Frequency="125.4" />
    	<ATIS Name="Shoreham" Frequency="130.975" />
    </Airport>
  3. The nomenclature is straightforward The frequency codes are:

ATIS

ATSUTower

ATSUG -- Ground

ATSUApproach

ATSUClearance

ATSUFIS - Automatic Flight Information System

4. There are other entries in some xml files that add waypoints and change runway numbering.
  5. You can also rename the entire appdata folder to appdata.old and create a blank folder appdata. This will eliminate any corrections that the appdata folder provides.
  6. If the file does not exist in appdata for an airport, but the stock P3d5 airport has 8.33 KHz frequencies, you can change any frequency by creating a new file with Notepad. Save it as <ICAO_Code>.xml in appdata.

Lastly, You should contact PMDG official support and ask them to fix their comm radio to be compatible with the 8.33 KHz com frequencies in P3d5. PMDG is not alone in this regard. A number of other third party aircraft have the same problem.

Since someone is going to ask🤓, here is a complete list of codes that have been discovered. My notes are old and somewhat sketchy, so the list could be wrong.

ATSUClearance
 ATSUFIS
 ATSUAG
 ATSUTalkdown
 ATSUCenter
 ATSUGround
 ATSUTower
 ATSUApproach
 ATSUDeparture
 ATSUUnicom
 ATIS
 FSS

I'm guessing that ATSUAG is "air to ground" and ATSUTalkdown is "Precision Radar Approach", but Kevin is better versed in UK ATC terminology🧐, so he might have a better idea.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

ATSUAG is "air to ground" and ATSUTalkdown is "Precision Radar Approach"

Correct - although technically AG isn't really an ATSU (Air Traffic Service Unit)

Edited by kevinfirth

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Thanks for the info! I have requested it already on Pmdg forums.

For now I can work around it by letting the copilot tune the frequencies which can’t be dialed.

1 hour ago, rob0203 said:

Thanks for the info! I have requested it already on Pmdg forums.

For now I can work around it by letting the copilot tune the frequencies which can’t be dialed.

I guess that this is considered solved.

Edited by jabloomf1230
  • Like 3

Would be great though if there would be a option to have the “old comms” in a newer version. 

I asked at Pmdg but they don’t support the 8.33 and did not have any news. Also a lot of hardware and other planes don’t support it.

Now it is impossible to use it at a lot of facilities! I personally of course would like everything at 8.33!

Edited by rob0203