Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

MOFN - The Falklands

I took one of the FIGAS (Falkland Islands Government Air Service) Islanders out for a hop. Weather was OK, but it was almost solid overcast at about 2800 feet. I haven't really explored all the island network as represented in a freeware product (Falklands 2007) and silly me forgot to print out a map of the airstrips so I just departed RAF Mount Pleasant and headed south east. I had the NDB and VOR dialled in just in case!

A gap in the overcast!

Ios94V8.jpg

After I'd stooged around for about an hour or so, I spotted a strip over on West Falkland which I'd not visited until now - MOFN.. Middle Of F...... Nowhere. Actually I "think" this is the strip at Port Stephens.. :unsure:

sdDI9Y3.jpg

yQfJt81.jpg

dGNQDx9.jpg

Incidentally, I've got an RAF Voyager (Airbus A330 MRTT) winging its way down from Brize Norton to Mount Pleasant with some spares for the FIGAS fleet as I type. :cool: I shall endeavour to see if it takes my simulated flight about 15 hours much like a recent, real Voyager non-stop trip. https://des.mod.uk/voyager-sets-new-records-with-non-stop-flights-to-and-from-the-falkland-islands/

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Excellent,Looking at your first shot,seeing how close the engine is to the cabin,the Noise in those Aircraft must be Deafening!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Eh? What?... :biggrin:

You wouldn't want to try and get out with the engines still running either,that's for sure! Well, maybe use the aft cabin door on the port side..

The other thing which worries me somewhat is if one of the blades lets go when running. It would then do what other blades are good at.. :blink:

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

On 7/20/2020 at 6:34 AM, HighBypass said:

Eh? What?... :biggrin:

You wouldn't want to try and get out with the engines still running either,that's for sure! Well, maybe use the aft cabin door on the port side..

The other thing which worries me somewhat is if one of the blades lets go when running. It would then do what other blades are good at.. :blink:

Look at the prop arc before choosing your seat 😊.

• Like 1

Several years ago, I read a report about a USAF C97 (Boeing 377) with electric props.  The port inboard prop ran away and apparently there was no stopping it.  It overheated tremendously and the Captain, gauging, it's separation from the engine, rolled right.  His timing was almost perfect - the prop did inflict a slash in the top of the fuselage but they landed successfully.

• Like 1

Only just caught up with this one and the Falklands 2007 scenery. The two freeware airports for Port Stanley and Mount Pleasant are a good addtion as suggested by the creator of this scenery. 

Can't do this in an Islander, flew them for real for over 5 years and I can attest to the fact they are loud after 4000 plus hours in the BN2 i have hearing damage. We had the noise measured and they reached 150 dB on takeoff. As for the doors you cannot open the doors with the engine running there is a solenoid bolt on the door inside which linked to the ignition switches - mags on bolts secures the door cannot be opened until the ignition or mags are switched off - typical BN simple but effective. The were affectionately called the best aeroplane British Rail ever built!. That said it was the finest STOL aeroplane I ever flew, you could really get this one into less than 400 metres and actually get it on and stopped in less than 100M if you know what your doing. Single engine performance was excellent in fact two engines only gave you 5 knots more and it would climb out on one engine if you lost one after take off and get to LSALT (It was certified to airline standard). A remarkable little box with wings!. 

As for the Falklands think I will do it in the Twin Otter!