Sign in to follow this  
viz

Boxed version will require DVD at every start-up

Yes, seems a tad inconvenient given that the software will be synchronised online anyway.

Bernard

I tthought is has a product key included which needs to be linked to your MS account anyway...? If so, and due to the general internet requirements of MFS to have maximal enjoyment, I do not see a reason in 2020, why you should need to have the disc at start-up, too. 

In addition that´s bad for people who might merely have ordered the edition for their collection but might not have an actual drive installed anymore.

Man, now that is old fashioned. I remember back in the day when people used to ‘crack’ those, rightly or wrongly, to save the dvd being burned out. 

• Like 2

Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

That really makes the decision against the DVD version quite easy.

• Like 1

Whenever there is some software which demands that DVD check, within about a week someone has usually created a crack which you can drop into the software program's folder to stop it requiring that, and I bet you it would be no different for MSFS.

Fun fact about DVDs - I bet you can't tell me what DVD actually stands for?

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I actually forgot that that used to be a thing.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

29 minutes ago, Chock said:

Fun fact about DVDs - I bet you can't tell me what DVD actually stands for?

Digital Video Disc?

• Like 2

Bert

DVD (abbreviation for Digital Versatile Disc or Digital Video Disc) is a digital optical disc storage format invented and developed in 1995 and released in late 1996.

From wikipedia.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

All good guesses, but officially, DVD stands for nothing in particular, it is just its own name.

The reason for that is because when it was being pushed as a format, and it was battling against other potential formats before it became the winner (at least until BluRay showed up), i.e. other things such as Laserdisc, VCD, UDF and MMCD, there was a lot of arguing going on between companies about which format was better and what exactly should be the standard. Groups such as the MPEG (Motion Picture Experts Group) and JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group) argued fiercely over this and even argued over what DVD stood for; some said Digital Versatile Disk, some said Digital Video Disc, and they even argued over whether disk was spelled with a K or a C. So in the end all those groups came up with a solution, and that was officially, it didn't stand for anything, it was just a name in itself!

So DVD actually doesn't stand for anything (officially at least).

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The more I hear about MSFS the happier I am at my decision to wait until after release before buying.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

David Porrett

It’s much more effort to go and pour a bourbon then it is to insert a DVD into the drive. 🤷‍♂️

And who doesn’t have  DVD drive? 🤔

10 minutes ago, Doug47 said:

And who doesn’t have  DVD drive? 🤔

Nearly everyone who's bought a new computer over the past few years?

It's actually getting hard to find pre-built computer systems with expansion slots for the front panel any longer.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator