Sign in to follow this  
Matheus Vallim

Ryzen CPUs

Hello, all. 

I am a fan of Ryzen CPUs due to their low cost and good performance. The new series are getting better and better. Also they do really well on multi thread, while Intel is good for single thread and they have good IPC. 

I remember to have read something saying that FS2020 is multi thread and Microsoft published both settings, with Ryzen or Intel. 

Does anybody have Ryzen or may be getting Ryzen for FS2020?

Regards,

Matheus

I built a Ryzen 5 3600 system for my son this summer and have been really impressed with its performance. Game performance (shooters and the like) is solid, as is video editing and streaming. For $200, AMD really hit the some magic on the price to performance ratio. I'm am so impressed with AMD that I plan to build a system around the new Zen 3 processors once they release - assuming no significant post-release hiccups.

Chris

Hello.

Using a Ryzen 3900X with 32gb ram and 2080Ti. Wonderful CPU. P3dV5 works well. XP11 works well. Not sure if I am allowed to tell you anything about you-know-what but suffice it to say that it runs absolutely fine.😆

EDIT: Always used to be an INTEL-guy but left them for the 3900X and haven't been looking back. If I am looking at anything it will be the NEXT ryzen.

Edited by Swe_Richard
  • Like 4

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I too have been looking into an upgrade later this year and interested in comparing the Ryzen to Intel. Are the CPU published speeds comparable? In other words; if an i7 is running at 3.8ghz is that equivalent performance to the Ryzen at 3.8ghz? I remember back in the old days when I was building systems (80's and 90's), comparing clock speeds doesn't always tell the whole story. 

18 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

Hello.

Using a Ryzen 3900X with 32gb ram and 2080Ti. Wonderful CPU. P3dV5 works well. XP11 works well. Not sure if I am allowed to tell you anything about you-know-what but suffice it to say that it runs absolutely fine.😆

EDIT: Always used to be an INTEL-guy but left them for the 3900X and haven't been looking back. If I am looking at anything it will be the NEXT ryzen.

how are so sure that your ryzen is better than let's say an i9 10900K ? because benchmark scores says otherwise

Edited by cepact

1 minute ago, cepact said:

how are so sure that your ryzen is better than let's say an i9 10900K ? because benchmark scores says otherwise

This is not entirely true. i9-10900K is better at single core performance but lack behind by a miles in multithreaded operations. 

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Just now, cepact said:

how are so sure that you're ryzen is better than let's say an i9 9900K ? because benchmark scores says otherwise

For some games yes. For multi threaded apps not at all. Gaming is not my primary use of a computer. 

• Like 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Dear colleagues, the new simulator is optimized to run ideally on 8 core AMD Ryzen CPU with Simultaneous multithreading (SMT), I strongly advice for those who will upgrade to buy a 3700X ; 3800X or wait for zen3 in the beginning of 2021! 

Edited by tingri
  • Like 2

Well, honestly I believe we (simmers- or gammers) need to purchase what's best for what we need it for. This is not about who we are loyal to. Hey if AMD comes up with the best CPU for my sim, heck yes, I'm getting it. In life I go with what's best-- not with what I'm told is better. 

I'm running a Ryzen 7 3700x with 32GB RAM and an RTX 2080. Runs everything I throw at it, and it runs it well. X-Plane, P3D, etc.

I've played both sides of the fence. I ran Athlon 64's back in the day, Core 2 Duo/Quad, i7's. The 3700x is my second Ryzen. I ran a Ryzen 1600 as well. I go for what is the best bang for the buck, and provides the performance I need. Ryzen has fit the bill quite nicely.

Edited by hatchna
  • Like 3

Microsoft Flight Simulator | Ryzen 9 5900X | MSI MEG X570 ACE | 32 GB DDR4 | Geforce RTX 3080 | Samsung Evo 970 M.2 | Dual 1440p screen | Win 10 Pro

Honeycomb Alpha Flight Yoke | Honeycomb Bravo Throttle | Thrust master TPR Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

We will know which CPU architecture performs better when we have seen Intel vs AMD benchmarks. Not earlier.

Then its a good time to decide about your next system.

Edited by Paladin2005

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

Anyone knows when the next Ryzen 9 gets released? Will be nice to see what the next iteration can do. Not that I seriously plan on upgrading, though..

Richard

28 minutes ago, FAZZ3 said:

AMD just announced their new CPU's. Performance figures are graphed here.

Those are the Renoir APUs, which are still based on the Zen 2 architecture. The Ryzen APUs are a generation behind the consumer CPUs in the same series (Ryzen 3000 APUs were Zen+ for example). The consumer Zen 3 CPUs, codenamed Vermeer, are coming later in the year.