Sign in to follow this  
Chrism6285

Slew Mode?

Slew Mode was one of my favorite features from past sims. Has anyone seen this or heard of this feature making it in the new MSFS? 

Thanks!

• Like 1

MSFS has slew mode, yes. Works perfectly if you dedicate a XBox controller to it, also great for the drone camera.

• Like 2

Not sure how this is an indication of slew mode. He ain't slewing anywhere. Looks way more like position freeze to me. But as it's a basic feature even in FFSs, I sure hope we get that as well. Extremely useful.

Edited by badderjet

3 hours ago, badderjet said:

Not sure how this is an indication of slew mode. He ain't slewing anywhere. Looks way more like position freeze to me. But as it's a basic feature even in FFSs, I sure hope we get that as well. Extremely useful.

This video is an indication of slew mode as you can remain at a still point and then increase the sim rate giving the effect shown by the video. Yes, usually you would use slew to move somewhere for some reason or another but they are utilizing slew in this manner to demonstrate weather progression.

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

Ok, might be. Nevertheless simple position freeze with an increased sim rate would have the same effect, even more if you actually don’t want to move away at all. Interestingly enough flight sim had position freeze as a feature like in an FFS but it was never bound to a key command by default.

Slew mode exists.

What you are seeing in that video is active pause. You can pause the plane without pausing the sim. Really nice feature.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, badderjet said:

Ok, might be. Nevertheless simple position freeze with an increased sim rate would have the same effect, even more if you actually don’t want to move away at all. 

Well and that is done via either pausing the gaming or entering slew mode. While pause will halt the sim completely ie also whether and time. While slew will hold the plane in place while the sim actually still runs. Unless there is any other „position freeze“ option I missed over the last decade since FS4

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

19 hours ago, bonchie said:

Slew mode exists.

What you are seeing in that video is active pause. You can pause the plane without pausing the sim. Really nice feature.

Thanks, I am really glad to hear this. A few days ago (in a different forum I think) I asked whether slew mode existed, and was told by one of the testers that he was not permitted to answer my question because it might change in the few weeks remaining before release! Ridiculous.

16 minutes ago, cobalt said:

I asked whether slew mode existed, and was told by one of the testers that he was not permitted to answer my question because it might change in the few weeks remaining before release! Ridiculous.

We were told specifically not to talk about features as they might be removed before release.  This was probably a good idea. 🙂

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

19 hours ago, DAD said:

Well and that is done via either pausing the gaming or entering slew mode. While pause will halt the sim completely ie also whether and time. While slew will hold the plane in place while the sim actually still runs. Unless there is any other „position freeze“ option I missed over the last decade since FS4

Yes, that might be the case, but I'm sure you're not alone. As I mentioned it's not one of the functions that were tied to some keystroke by default, but it's always been there and accessible at least from the SDK. Probably even from the key commands list, can't remember for sure. It's entirely different to be in slew, to be in pause or to be in position freeze. Slewing enables to move completely free in 3D space, which we're not seeing in this video. The various position freezes are very standard FFS features, and they are even a bit more granulated than that as there is seperate altitude freeze and lat/lon freeze too. Within these functions the simulation continues to run normally, with the time advancing, the engine and aerodynamics are still working, just the "position freezes", as the name suggests. If it's only a lat/lon freeze for instance, you'd still be flying and controlling the aircraft, fly turns and change your heading with the exception it will remain stationary over the ground. Sometimes this is used in FFSs to quickly change your altitude if you need to. It's entirely different from slewing which puts all the flight physics to a halt.

Just as a little insight. However, now that I look at the video again there seems to be a slight movement, if you have a close look at the bridge. Anyway, I just wanted to clarify what I meant above.

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

We were told specifically not to talk about features as they might be removed before release.🙂

Makes sense, as it's obviously part of the NDA.

Edited by badderjet

20 minutes ago, badderjet said:

Makes sense, as it's obviously part of the NDA.

The interesting thing about telling us not to talk about features is that it was called out separately.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

23 hours ago, DAD said:

Unless there is any other „position freeze“ option I missed over the last decade since FS4

FS4 has been about three decades...

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

49 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

FS4 has been about three decades...

LOL, missed the s after decade. Jeeze, how time flies

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"