Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

New Monitor with HDR or stick to current one?

I've been using P3D v4.x and upgraded my system about 18 months ago, including a 32" 4K G-Sync monitor. The mistake I made at the time (and there were fewer of them at a reasonable price) was that the monitor is not HDR compatible and has HDMI 1.4 and DisplayPort 1.2 ports.  Looking back, I wish I had been more aware of the limits of the HDMI 1.4 ports and that having an HDR compatible monitor would be a good thing, but there wasn't a compelling reason at the time. 

With the new version of MSFS and with P3D v5 now out, is it worth sinking more money into an HDR capable monitor with HDMI 2.x ports? Is the benefit worth the expense?

No one has an opinion about the value of HDR and P3D v5 and the new MSFS?  🙂

I know the new flight sim isn’t released, but I assume there are beta testers and enough info is available about the experience.

Would I be stupid considering a new monitor? Waste of money?

I would repurpose the current monitor for other uses. It wouldn’t go to waste. 🙂

My experience with HDR has not been good. Generally I like to play my games/simulators in windowed mode and I get all sorts of flickering issues with HDR. On P3D, for instance, any time that I access the menus or use Chaseplane to pan around with the mouse, the screen would flicker.

I believe that all good monitors nowadays include HDR, so I am not sure if that is much of a choice anymore.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

If you are happy with your current monitor it might be worth waiting for the  technology to mature further. It’s uncanny seeing those bright areas almost appear to jump out of the screen while the shadows retain detail, but I don’t think I would invest in another monitor solely for it, especially considering that monitors that implement HDR well tend to cost $1,000+. One surprise for me was just how bright it is. It can be tiring to look at for more than a few hours.

Thanks for the thoughts. I guess I can kick myself for not investing in HDR earlier. My 75" TV has Dolby Vision and is HDR capable and the difference with video programs is huge. 

Related question....my current 4K monitor has both HDMI and DP interfaces as mentioned. I'm using a RTX2080TI with 11GB VRAM, and using a DP cable now to connect. Any benefit to switching to HDMI, keeping in mind the G-Sync monitor only supports HDMI 1.4?  Or stay with the DP 1.2 connection?  I just don't know enough about what you gain or lose.

Edited by neil0311

Sorry to be a pain....anyone have any other thoughts.  Display Port vs HDMI thoughts?

if given the choice I'd go with DP

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

if given the choice I'd go with DP

Why?  Not questioning but want to understand the reasons.

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/displayport-vs-hdmi-better-for-gaming

I personally run DP out of my 1080ti with a converter to HDMI.  My samsung only supports HDMI. 

• Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

7 hours ago, neil0311 said:

Why?  Not questioning but want to understand the reasons.

Generally speaking, DisplayPort has greater bandwidth. G-Sync also requires DisplayPort on most monitors.

• Upvote 1

I would wait for Mini led monitors that support dynamic HDR.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar