Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

What FS version became a simulator, not a game?

Been a simulator enthusiast since the early '80's.  As we sit on the doorstep of MSFS 2020 here is a question. So when did the transition from simple games to true simulation first emerge.  So I recall the aftermarket add-on sets of USA Scenery Sets East and  West. What year did those appear and version did those enhance?  Then came Artwick and Moment's Flight Assignment: ATP, which if I recall at the time included all published approach procedures at USA airports. Runway approaches, not arrivals and departures.  That simulator first provided legitimate IFR (at the time VOR to VOR, NDB, and ILS) navigation.  Right?

I recall it was Sierra Pro Pilot that first provided the first at-the-time accurate terrain mesh.

So again. When did the providers to this activity cease providing a game and begin providing a legitimate simulator?

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I actually remember it differently...

My first Flight Simulator for the PCJr was certainly rudimentary, but was meant as a simulator.

As part of the package, there was a WW I Ace battle game with Sopwith Camels.

So I might ask, at what point did this flight simulator become a game? 😉

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

Strange question. Flight simulation is a game. Meant for entertainment purposes. It pretty much says so on every box or addon. You play at being a pilot. 

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

And once again we have the longest running debate in the flight sim world which has been posted 1,000,101 times.

Answered many times over many years... it's purely how and why the individual uses the software and what they do with it.  Why is that so darned difficult to fathom?

Edited by DaveCT2003
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 4

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Is it a tool or is it a toy?  The answer to the question is "yes."  It is either or both depending on how you use it.  This applies to a flight sim, a computer, a hammer, a jeep, a sailboat, or a real aircraft.

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 3

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

13 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

I'll just leave this here. 😋

Your point? 

It's still a game. It actually says so on the cover; A Chris Roberts Game

Edited by travelabroad
  • Upvote 1

🙂

If you want to call it a simulator to impress your better half at how you could fly the airliner if the Pilots pass out, power to you. However, since you cannot legally log simulator time for the FAA, or whoever your aviation safety regulator happens to be, then I'm sorry, but it's a game and forever will be a game.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

David Porrett

6 minutes ago, travelabroad said:

Your point? 

It's still a game. It actually says so on the cover; A Chris Roberts Game

Exactly. 

The question was this:

5 hours ago, fppilot said:

When did the providers to this activity cease providing a game and begin providing a legitimate simulator?

The answer is "never". The concepts of "game" and "simulator" are entirely subjective, both can be whatever you want them to be, and they're not mutually exclusive.

1iNquef.jpg

Edited by Der Zeitgeist
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I actually remember it differently...

My first Flight Simulator for the PCJr was certainly rudimentary, but was meant as a simulator.

As part of the package, there was a WW I Ace battle game with Sopwith Camels.

So I might ask, at what point did this flight simulator become a game? 😉

The white scarf, leather helmet and googles were exclusively third party addons then.

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I would say that som "features" within Flight Simulator / P3D are simulations. Take for example the RXP GNS/GTN series. If you know your way around them in FSX/P3D then you will have no problems using them in a real Aircraft.

• Like 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

4 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

I'll just leave this here. 😋

qJRqzCl.jpg

well you could consider it a sim for the US Space Force ?

• Like 1

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA

However when MS sell Goat Simulator through their store, its clear they dont take the word simulator seriously

Goat Simulator is the latest in goat simulation technology, bringing next-gen goat simulation to YOU. You no longer have to fantasize about being a goat, your dreams have finally come true!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/p/goat-simulator-windows-10/9mxwkhj3vzzh?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Edited by jeansy
  • Upvote 1

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA

12 hours ago, fppilot said:

So again. When did the providers to this activity cease providing a game and begin providing a legitimate simulator?

When a subset of users started putting on airs and got delusions of grandeur?

• Like 8

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5