Sign in to follow this  
GAJ52

ATC Question

I appreciate there is only certain information available at the moment regarding ATC.

Looking at some of the released videos, the ATC seems to work by clicking a ATC menu list on the screen.  Does anyone know if the response from the pilot (us) can be via voice recognition i.e. talking into a microphone ?

Glen

1 hour ago, GAJ52 said:

Does anyone know if the response from the pilot (us) can be via voice recognition i.e. talking into a microphone ?

Does anyone know yes, can they say no.

speculation wise, it won't be included at the start but MS already has built in voice rec so I guessing that it will be included in some later update in the um.... marketplace. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Since we know MCE is going to be made compatible with the new sim, and that offers the capability, we can say for sure that it will eventually be in there as a capability. whether it will be a default capability though, I don't know.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

In my opinion ATC has taken a right dive.

It's the same old piece of code. But this time, spoken by computer instead of pre-recorded real voices.

It sounds awful. Just rubbish.

As usual, I'll be flying with no ATC unless  VATSIM is supported and even then, there's been times at Gatwick where I've tuned in, and thought, OMG, sod this.

Very disappointed. It was one of the main things - apart from the graphics - that I really hoped they would update and make good.

They haven't - they've made it worse.

I'm sorry to say - really I am - but I'm coming around to the idea that this is Microsoft Flight on steroids.

I've spent the day in P3D flying a Harrier off an aircraft carrier close to land - in convoy with five other boats - in beastly weather and challenging conditions to say the least doing touch and go's at a coastal airfield and then sprinting back to the carrier. 

And not a single tree looked like congealed snot.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

As usual, I'll be flying with no ATC unless  VATSIM is supported and even then, there's been times at Gatwick where I've tuned in, and thought, OMG, sod this.

Good news.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

To be honest, I wouldn't mind to have the FSX voices back, but with more added. That would sound better than how MSFS sounds now.

Still hoping for the newest generation TTS to be implemented though.

• Like 1

MaVe Creations - FSLTL - Free AI sounds - Giving your airports more atmosphere!

www.mavecreations.weebly.com

TBH i just need competent AI for atc.. it doesnt have to sound good.  Even though i like PE/Vatsim I like to fly offline more than not. But i would use offline AI ATC as long as it  doesnt vector me 1) for the whole 700 miles without clearing me into my route 2) into a mountain  .. I'll be happy

This AI knows sids and stars and actually i didnt think the logic of the FSX AI ATC was too bad... except for the vectors forever and occasionally losing track of you phase of flight.. so being built on that is not a bad thing to me.. i guess we'll see in august but i think it will be ok to have to give offline flying an extra dimension 

Edited by Wewk584

[XP11 BETA/FS2020 BETA] [Pilotedge BETA/Vatsim BETA] 

7 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

In my opinion ATC has taken a right dive.

It's the same old piece of code. But this time, spoken by computer instead of pre-recorded real voices.

It sounds awful. Just rubbish.

Very disappointed. It was one of the main things - apart from the graphics - that I really hoped they would update and make good.

They haven't - they've made it worse.

I'm sorry to say - really I am - but I'm coming around to the idea that this is Microsoft Flight on steroids.

I've spent the day in P3D flying a Harrier off an aircraft carrier close to land - in convoy with five other boats - in beastly weather and challenging conditions to say the least doing touch and go's at a coastal airfield and then sprinting back to the carrier. 

And not a single tree looked like congealed snot.

Wow...

Really?

Man that’s depressing news indeed!

Chris Camp

It pains me to say this, but I actually find the Vatsim announcement as an official tie-in a bit dispiriting. Why? It feels a little like MS is "giving up" on making their built-in ATC actually good, as opposed to passable, and are effectively passing the baton to Vatsim. I've got a full-time job and a toddler, and Vatsim isn't a realistic alternative for me.

Together with what we've seen of the built-in ATC, I'm quite disappointed. MSFS will still be the future, but to have it basically take a few steps back from FSX on ATC really bums me out. 🙁

Now, that said, if we can get TTS with geographically appropriate accents for the ATC, I will take it all back!

James

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, honanhal said:

It pains me to say this, but I actually find the Vatsim announcement as an official tie-in a bit dispiriting. Why? It feels a little like MS is "giving up" on making their built-in ATC actually good, as opposed to passable, and are effectively passing the baton to Vatsim. I've got a full-time job and a toddler, and Vatsim isn't a realistic alternative for me.

Together with what we've seen of the built-in ATC, I'm quite disappointed. MSFS will still be the future, but to have it basically take a few steps back from FSX on ATC really bums me out. 🙁

Now, that said, if we can get TTS with geographically appropriate accents for the ATC, I will take it all back!

James

Alternatively; what if they have integrated the both together so you can fly seamlessly between real controllers and offline areas? That would be great!

• Like 1

Flying since the early days of 386’s! 😀 Web developer, sailor, nerd. Contributor to the G36 Improvement Project

PC Specs: Intel i9-9900K on a Aorus Z390 // Pro Wifi motherboard // 32GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, 2x16, 3200mhz DDR4 // RTX3070 Gigabyte, Eagle OC 8GB // WD Blue SN550 (2400) NVMe SSD // 2x LG QHD Monitors, (27QN600) 

Discord Username: CaptMatto#7935

1 hour ago, honanhal said:

It pains me to say this, but I actually find the Vatsim announcement as an official tie-in a bit dispiriting. Why? It feels a little like MS is "giving up" on making their built-in ATC actually good, as opposed to passable, and are effectively passing the baton to Vatsim.

I sincerely hope that's not the case. The Vatsim announcement is obviously great news to those that want to use it, there will be many who either cannot, or choose not to, use it.

I hope that the in-built ATC will continue to be improved, or failing that, that the SDK will incorporate facilities so that a 3PD can provide a fully integrated, comprehensive alternative.

Edited by Ian Box
  • Like 1

Ian Box

7 hours ago, honanhal said:

James

Very True!

Chris Camp

I agree about FSX ATC.  the voices are much better than they are FS2020...disappointed in this with it being 15 years newer, but hopefully, this gets improved upon as well.

My #1 is still TrackIR.  I'm flying P3D more than fs2020 alpha because of these 2 reasons more than anything else.

• Like 1

If only Vatsim had the rigorous entry exam that my chosen VA gave me before they let me through the door we wouldn't need to have this discussion.

Vatsim could have been perfect years ago with an entry criteria. But Hey, it's all about inclusion these days. Inclusion of idiots/ trolls and trouble makers. Vatsim peaked about 2014 - when it felt pretty good.

These days; pants.

Maybe with this tie-in with MS - they'll take the lead and go to the place they always should have gone; Entry Exam to fly on the network.

Either way, I'm minded that MS is throwing too many toys at me to catch at once - and that, in my trade, is called a decoy cluster.

I'm an old donkey and I've seen a lot. We'll see.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese