Sign in to follow this  
spilok

How important is UPLOAD speed for MSFS2020?

Hi.  I just upgraded my download speed through my cable provider from 100mbps to 1 Gig (1000mbps).  I'm very pleased with my new download capability.  However, I notice when I do speed tests that my UPLOAD speed only reaches 26mbps.  Even when I only had 100mbps speed, my upload speed then was around 9.50mbps.

How important is upload speed for the upcoming sim, and why do you think my cable company limits this parameter even on high, expensive download speeds?

Stan

• Like 1

I doubt it will have too much importance. If anything it will be used for multiplayer, but as it’s not even stated in the minimum requirements, I expect the upload usage will be negligible.

30 minutes ago, spilok said:

I just upgraded my download speed through my cable provider

why do you think my cable company limits this parameter even on high, expensive download speeds?

"Fiber Optical vs. Coaxial Cable: Speed

Fiber-optic cable is just flat out faster. Fiber offers speeds up to 10 Gbps, symmetrical upload and download bandwidth. 

Cable-internet is slower – at the same time, though, it offers broadband speeds that meet the needs of most small and medium-sized businesses. Cable-internet, for example, represents a significant upgrade in speed compared to a DSL connection. 

Standard Cable-internet speeds vary by provider and range from 10 Mbps to 1 Gbps download speeds and upload speeds from 3  Mbps up to 50 Mbps."

https://business.sparklight.com/the-wire/business-internet/choose-wisely-fiber-optic-vs-cable-internet

33 minutes ago, spilok said:

and why do you think my cable company limits this parameter even on high, expensive download speeds?

Stan,

Its primarily because of the customer demand for upload is much lower than the millions of users that are downloading.Ultimately it keeps the costs down for the private consumers.
On the other hand, for users wanting higher upload speeds, typically there's a premium to be paid via a more expensive business plan so the ISP companies can ultimately make more money.

There are some ISPs out there that are offering symmetrical speed as the advent of cloud computing and video communication, that require larger volumes of data to be uploaded, gathers momentum.

Bottomline: Why do they limit upload - they're after your money! 😉

• Like 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

54 minutes ago, spilok said:

Hi.  I just upgraded my download speed through my cable provider from 100mbps to 1 Gig (1000mbps).  I'm very pleased with my new download capability.  However, I notice when I do speed tests that my UPLOAD speed only reaches 26mbps.  Even when I only had 100mbps speed, my upload speed then was around 9.50mbps.

How important is upload speed for the upcoming sim, and why do you think my cable company limits this parameter even on high, expensive download speeds?

Stan

In general, ISPs limit upload speeds to discourage users from running file servers from their homes.

Bernard

Upload speed:  Not important at all.

Download speed:  50 MBps is enough to cover all situations in the game.  This is why it is listed in the ideal specs.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Thanks for the replies.  It all makes sense now.  What is important, of course, is the download speed.  Another misconception might be the size of the SSD or drive needed for MSFS.   Although I cannot say who told me this, I asked whether I should buy a 1TB or 2TB M2 SSD for MSFS.  My contact told me that since MSFS is "cloud-based", there would be no need to go to a 2TB SSD.  A 1TB would be plenty.  So, in my mailbox today sometime I will be taking delivery of my M2 SSD (1 TB) from Amazon.

I've been already using a Samsung 1TB M2 970 for P3d, and this will be my 2nd M2.  

So, with 1GB of download speed, and a brand new M2.....I'm locked and loaded for August 13th.   Can't wait.

My contact also told me that since he's been using the Alpha program, that he believes this will be the only sim we will use.  He said that it looks as good as the pics and videos we see here on this forum.  He is amazed by the quality, and can't imagine we would want to run anything else. Although I got NOTHING specific from my contact...these general conclusions he has made give me great hope for this sim.  I've always trusted what my "friend" has told me in the past, and it's always been true.

9 more days as of this writing.

Stan

Edited by spilok

5 hours ago, viz said:

In general, ISPs limit upload speeds to discourage users from running file servers from their homes.

Cable ISPs are limited in upload speed due to physical realities of cable delivery.  When they send a signal to you, they use lots of really expensive equipment.  When you send a signal back you are using a consumer level cable modem.  In order for your feeble modem to reach the cable company’s fiber node where the signal is multiplexed on optical fiber back to the server, the modem needs to use the lowest frequencies possible, which lose less signal per distance than the high frequencies.  Unfortunately this impacts the rate of data that can be transferred, and it also is the part of the signal band that is most likely to be crammed with electromagnetic interference.  People running file servers on residential cable make those problems worse, which is why they don’t want you doing it.

all of this would be better if the bulk of the carrier frequencies that they use weren’t taken up with analog and digital television data streams.  Most cable providers are working towards ip streaming only service, which would free up many more qam channels for ip traffic.  There’s a LOT more bandwidth possible then, but first they have to get all their customers on board with equipment changes which are hugely expensive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh no...5 additional days.  I felt better when it was the 13th in my mind.

Thanks a LOT!!!

Stan