Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Can't get myself to enjoy my old sim

Just to emphasize what everyone is saying going from tubeliners to GA. To chose my next destination, I used to use the random world city generator and then fly to nearest major intl airport, now I can actually fly to the nearest air field and preserve a good scenic experience so I am really excited. 

Edited by UAL4life
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Pugilist2 said:

I also feel the same as the OP and have not used my favorite sim which is XPL11 very much. I have been a flight simmer since FS98 and have used pretty much all the flight  sims released since. I am ready for a next gen sim that has all of the core features needed such as excellent default aircraft, volumetric clouds, weather, vc rain effects, ATC, and beautiful scenery! 

I have uninstalled P3D being as I rarely use it and XPL11 is next on the list if MSFS turns out to be as good as the previews show. I am not loyal to any sim and will give my hard earned money to the one that provides the best overall experience.

Same 

Edited by mikea76
  • Like 2

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

I guess there is only so much complexity you can add to, lets say, a c152/172. Of course there are a lot of "moving parts" and things to simulate that can have been left out, but the relative complexity compared to to ie. an a320 is very small. I dont expect study level airplanes, but from what i've seen I think I will be happy with the GA. I try not to think too much about the tubeliners because the chance they might "feel off" or not have the complexity I want is very big. Still, I think that flying GA airplanes around the world is what really tickles my fancy now anyway. If I should describe what I imagine when looking forward to the new sim, it isn't really flying the tubeliners. It is actually flying low and slow in a small airplane and taking in the sights. This is from someone who almost exclusively has flown the heavy jets (in the sim mind you hehe) for years. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

I am going to do some low and not-so-slow VFR flying around in the 747. 🙂

• Like 2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Not me, still and always will be a huge fan of XP11 so Im enjoying that as usual. It will remain on my system even after I get MSFS next year (current PC has no hope of running it).

Another reason is that while Im very excited for the new sim I've never liked photo-scenery so Im waiting for the in-game footage of testers showing what the sim will look like with the internet turned off. I gather when that happens the sim reverts to an offline landlclass mode and thats what Im curious to see! 

My advice is to enjoy your current sim. Just do short flights. Soon it will be deleted from your system but until then its still a simulator you can enjoy!

2 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I guess there is only so much complexity you can add to, lets say, a c152/172. 

Don't let size fool you, a piston single engine plane is a lot of work to get right. Even more so if it's glass equipped

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!
  • Like 1

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

For me a Flight Simulator is a tool for flying, learning procedures, practicing and the immersion comes from the aircraft's systems and physics, the ATC, the AI, the real weather conditions, not from the sun rays effect and the number of trees.
That's why I am still very happy with P3Dv5 + all the fantastic addons we have.
I know I will switch to MSFS one day, but I am not in a hurry at this time.

• Like 4

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

1 hour ago, mikea76 said:

Don't let size fool you, a piston single engine plane is a lot of work to get right. Even more so if it's glass equipped

Im not saying that it's a twig and a rock, but it's not exactly a modern jetliner either. Of course they might have gotten things wrong, but mostly it is the flight model and the aerodynamics (how does it fly) together with the quality of the rendition that will decide for me I think. If I dont like the glass cockpit I can switch to steam gauges while I wait for payware addons I guess 🙂 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

I am not flying at all at the moment. I was getting bored of it, so I installed Assetto Corsa and my Logitech G27 wheel for the first time in two years. I am enjoying driving/racing the road cars again, and I am in no great hurry to return to flight simulation. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 7/25/2020 at 12:34 PM, Andreas Stangenes said:

I know people are being sensitive about "over-hyping" MSFS2020, but honestly, I log in to either of my sims (xplane 11 or p3d), and just sit there. I might do a short circuit, and then log out again in frustration. The sims themselves are superb, of course, and I have enjoyed them to bits, but right now I end up watching replays of the new sim on my TV and find that ultimately more enjoyable than flying in my old sims. Anyone else feel this way? 

Same here...

Gave up on P3D over 2 years ago and was only flying XP11...with tons of addons. Gave up on XP11 after seeing some of the discovery series on MSFS. I could not even bring myself to update XP11 when the Vulkan beta came out....compatibility of addons etc....for what did not seem to be a substantial improvement in performance (from what I heard / read) 

To me, it is a matter of the inconvenience that is no longer necessary to enjoy flight simming. For so long, the sims were lacking....requiring a "Frankenstein" setup of cloud addons, scenery addons, light tweaks, water tweaks, flywithLUEY etc. just to get the sim looking / running good. With MSFS offering so much in one package (the world), I just didn't see any need to be bothered with loading XP11 knowing that MSFS was around the corner...to see what can really be done when a Dev puts forth the effort.

• Like 3

Today I had two short flights over ORBX Germany with P3D v4.5. From Dresden to Berlin Tempelhof (via Rathen!) and then a sight-seeing over Berlin itself (Brandenburg, Englischer Garten, Avus, Olympic stadium, Tiergarten, all the airports...). I just loved! IF MSFS2020 is better than that, it is really really good! 

Edited by kiki

My flight sims have gone the way of the Dodo bird over a year ago.  Can't wait for this one.

Cheers

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

2 hours ago, kiki said:

Today I had two short flights over ORBX Germany with P3D v4.5. From Dresden to Berlin Tempelhof (via Rathen!) and then a sight-seeing over Berlin itself (Brandenburg, Englischer Garten, Avus, Olympic stadium, Tiergarten, all the airports...). I just loved! IF MSFS2020 is better than that, it is really really good! 

Define "better". A scenery features a lot of aspects like elevation mesh, texturing, reproduction of the original, look of buildings, airports, roads, water, POIs, Navaids... Without going into detail (and keep in mind not even the leakers know what we will finally get on August 18), expect to find elements being "better" and elements being "worse" in MSFS.

And you will find glass-half-full-people raving over the better ones and glass-half-empty-people ranting over the worse ones.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Well as someone who was lucky enough to test drive MFS I was not able to go back to XP11. I was using XP11 in VR pretty much exclusively before I got in on MFS testing. I have made exactly one flight in XP11 with VR since using MFS and it just wasn't doing it for me. I haven't yet removed XP11 because I keep thinking I'll want to use it in VR, but so far that desire has not come back to me. I just keep wanting to explore the world of MFS.

• Like 2