Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Orbx Global Airports for P3Dv5...

I found no Orbx forum here so I'll post this here.

It seems Orbx did not include the addon global airports for P3Dv5.  I copied the global airports file from P3Dv4 to P3Dv5 and added it to the scenery library.  So far the ones I went to appear fine.  Will doing this possible cause problems down the road?

Noel 

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Yeah, that plus North America GA Traffic, KTEX, KBLU, et al are all listed on the "to be ported" list. *Eventually*, they will be ported over.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I use the v4 freeware airports in V5 with no ill effects but some don't line up and a few errors here and there with default buildings. It will never be supported or fixed as said on the Orbx forum.  V4 was the last sim it will support.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Could be some issues. P3DV5 redid a lot of the default airports. There could be issues with double buildings, runway signs, etc. because the excludes in the ORBX airports may not line up with the new default data. 

John C.

• Upvote 1

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

1 hour ago, johncott said:

Could be some issues. P3DV5 redid a lot of the default airports. There could be issues with double buildings, runway signs, etc. because the excludes in the ORBX airports may not line up with the new default data. 

John C.

We've had this conversation but yea there are issues that they need to address, either it will take a lot to fix or just make away with them. I'm talking about the non-payware airports, when the nav data gets updated they have to update alot of airports, cyyc is a good example with missing runways ect...

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

I suppose I will keep it and just ignore the airports that exhibit faults.

I fly into and out of Bishop (KBIH) California now and then and the default P3Dv5 airport is bare bones.  Runway, taxiways, a building, but no parking slots.  After copying over the P3Dv4 Global Airports KBIH looks great!  Parking slots, nice buildings, and people flow.  AI traffic parked in some of the slots.

To my mind it's worth keeping for airport improvements like that and just ignoring the airports that don't line up.

Perhaps if I find an airport I want with faults I can download a third party airport and install it in the scenery library above the Global Airports.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

5 hours ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

V4 was the last sim it will support.

Unfortunately.

• Like 1

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Some of you may be interested in this..

I tried what Dave suggested and its not that hard. 

• Like 1

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

7 hours ago, birdguy said:

I found no Orbx forum here so I'll post this here.

It seems Orbx did not include the addon global airports for P3Dv5.  I copied the global airports file from P3Dv4 to P3Dv5 and added it to the scenery library.  So far the ones I went to appear fine.  Will doing this possible cause problems down the road?

Noel 

I just did the same thing...and after 2 weeks of struggling with no animations in my default airports in V5, I looked at Object Flow and found that was not the problem.  Had help from other simmers, and today I reinstalled 4.5 and copied the Global Airport Pack as you did.  No problems at all in V5. It should be fine.  Love the solution.

Stan

The main issue with using v4 airports in v5 is that many stock objects have been relocated to match airport charts, not orthoimagery, so you may find many objects that are no longer properly excluded.  See this thread (thanks Jay): https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/transferring-p3d-v4-and-earlier-project-files-to-use-with-p3d-v5.447641/

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

I'm using it in v5. There are some issues like double buildings, double taxiway signs but for the most part it is acceptable, way better than the stock p3d scenery. I REALLY wish Orbx will reconsider their decision to not support it. I think it's some of their best software and I would be willing to pay for it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,

1 hour ago, Daytona125 said:

I'm using it in v5. There are some issues like double buildings, double taxiway signs but for the most part it is acceptable, way better than the stock p3d scenery. I REALLY wish Orbx will reconsider their decision to not support it. I think it's some of their best software and I would be willing to pay for it.

Neil Hill that made most of them died last year. So that is the reason. This is what Holger said about him.

As you may or may not know Neil was our ultimate "airport enhancement machine", tirelessly working on transforming the lifeless and often incorrect default airports into much more realistic renditions. We don't have a full tally of his work for Orbx but we're talking many thousands of airports for the FTX Regions alone. And when he wasn't working on the payware commitments he completed yet more content for the ever-growing FTX Global Airport freeware package.

You could use ADE to fix them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

1 hour ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

You could use ADE to fix them.

Nick Cooper stated today: "the answer at present is that there will not be an update for P3D v5 for the freeware airport pack."

Some days ago, in another thread about the Airport Pack I proposed that since ORBX has no plans to upgrade those airports we users could do it, but got no reply from the ORBX staff.
Anyway, I already "fixed" some of the ones I use most. Not difficult using ADE. (You basically need to exclude stock Buildings, Windsocks and Taxiways), might not be perfect, but it works.

Edited by RamonB
  • Like 2

On 7/26/2020 at 3:29 PM, FPStewy said:

We've had this conversation but yea there are issues that they need to address, either it will take a lot to fix or just make away with them. I'm talking about the non-payware airports, when the nav data gets updated they have to update alot of airports, cyyc is a good example with missing runways ect...

Simaddons has CYYC covered and the slope on the new runway is terrific.

Also using these in v5, and pretty happy with them in the new sim. Thankyou, Neil. 

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."