Sign in to follow this  
dobee51

What will the first warbird be?

Just now, dobee51 said:

If MSFS 2020 is half as good as I hope, it is going to be the future for civilian flight sims, but it could be the future for combat flight sims too.  

Indeed but I would prefer a separate game. Not a personal inclination to peace 🙂, just the fact that FS20 will  need a lot of work  for months to reach its potential as a civil aviation sim and I don't want Asobo/MS to lose the focus. To have a decent combat sim, they would need to build  from scratch and accommodate in F 20,  many new features ballistics, air and ground damage modelling, adversarial AI, combat avionics, campaign scenarios  etc, Quite a heavy job . I'd rather have seasons, a more sophisticated ATC etc before.  And, of course, some warbirds like the A2A P-51 civ.😉

• Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

44 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Indeed but I would prefer a separate game. Not a personal inclination to peace 🙂, just the fact that FS20 will  need a lot of work  for months to reach its potential as a civil aviation sim and I don't want Asobo/MS to lose the focus. To have a decent combat sim, they would need to build  from scratch and accommodate in F 20,  many new features ballistics, air and ground damage modelling, adversarial AI, combat avionics, campaign scenarios  etc, Quite a heavy job . I'd rather have seasons, a more sophisticated ATC etc before.  And, of course, some warbirds like the A2A P-51 civ.😉

This. But the Oppressor MkII sounds awesome too.

Edited by dobee51

But MSFS is by its very nature today's scenery...and most combat sims need a historical perspective...

I'm happy to leave the combat to DCS and the commercial and GA stuff to the MS sim, although I don't see any issue with having warplanes themselves in the MS sim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

8 hours ago, Milviz said:

Speed is limited to .975 mach.

Understandable in a fledgling sim with the current focus. Not just because the supersonic transition and supercruise need to be modeled well, but the scenery system needs to support high speed flight at low level without glitching.

That's not the normal envelope for supersonic flight, but you know people will try zooming through cities and the Grand Canyon that fast anyway if it's possible. Like helicopters, we can just try to wait patiently for that limit to be lifted eventually.

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

11 hours ago, Milviz said:

Is it for real or only a joke?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

no joke.

• Upvote 1

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

Just googled Oppressor Mk.2 - I want one! :cool:

I wonder if the Sound Barrier can be lifted by the purchase of a "Supersonic" DLC?? :wink: Semi-seriously, if a person buys the sim purely to enjoy GA and propliner VFR/IFR flights, then they have no desire for anything going faster than .975 mach.. the only things going supersonic would be the tips of the propeller blades..:cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

8 hours ago, Milviz said:

no joke.

😱 So the flight model looks more limited than expected (for now, at least). Wonder if compressibility effects are included and editable per aircraft.

Without them, you can't have accurate performance in jets (PMDG, FSLABS???)

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

On 7/29/2020 at 1:47 PM, Milviz said:

Goose, it's time to buzz the towe - what?

Asobo do know that the buzzing sound from all those WW2 radial engined aeroplanes in the Pacific theatre, is actually the sound of the propeller tips going supersonic, don't they?

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I was incorrect.  The most recent release has no hard limit on the speed.

My apologies.

• Like 3

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.