Sign in to follow this  
FlyBaby

Can MSFS weather the storm?

I think that MSFS will be a huge hit. The online reaction leads me to believe that MSFS will expand the PC consumer base for flight sims.

With that said, my “only” concern is that MSFS servers can’t handle the initial download / streaming demand. Some have commented on how the Pre-Order has no incentive for the consumer, but perhaps its one gauge of how many customers will hit MSFS servers come Aug 18.

I am sure that MSFS has taken all of this into account, and while I don’t fully understand how their pricing supports the data streaming obligation (I was expecting a subscription based model), I hope that the servers can support the initial download / streaming demand.

• Like 1

Even Blizzard didn't anticipate the server loads both on the initial launch, but also on subsequent launches of expansions. It comes with the territory I think. Hopefully MS will plan well for it, but if it is a big hit then we must simply brace ourselves for periods of server outage. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Not sure it will lead to a massive onslaught of new flight sim enthusiasts. People who like flight sims have bought what was available, and they will do so again with the new sim, so in large part if will be the same crew buying the new toy. That said, FSX has sold a gazillion copies, so there's no doubt the new sim will shift a fair few units. However...

Something which is interesting with the new sim - one which long-time flight sim buffs will remember - is that it used to be the case with MS, that the latest version of Flight Sim was their 'showcase software', whereby it even had a kiosk mode so it could run as a demo in PC shop windows, showing off the latest and greatest in 3D graphics. That sort of fell by the wayside when the graphic capabilities of it went up the cul-de-sac of being tied to the CPU when all the latest and greatest games such as Skyrim, Far Cry etc were leveraging the GPU and making FSX look like something off a SEGA Megadrive by comparison. But now, with the new sim able to do all kinds of funky streaming replication of real world terrain in real time, it's back amongst the more impressive pieces of software. and that may indeed get people interested in it.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Gameranx, a youtube gaming channel with 5 million subs, had MSFS as its no. 1 most anticipated game release for august 2020. I've seen it on other gaming channels as well, so we might be surprised by how many new simmers/players we get with msfs 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Andreas Stangenes

1 hour ago, FlyBaby said:

With that said, my “only” concern is that MSFS servers can’t handle the initial download / streaming demand.

This is a completely solved problem. CDNs for large downloads have been around for over a decade.

Cheers!

• Like 3

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Of course launch day will be a disaster. See: every online-dependent game ever made.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I still get so confused when it comes to planning my time around launches for games/sims I am looking forward to. I usually take the day off work, only to stare at the "servers will be back later" message in the launcher 😄

Andreas Stangenes

52 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Of course launch day will be a disaster.

I'm pretty sure it's the law isn't it? 🤣

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

As far as numbers of people who will buy this..... I suspect people here are thinking mostly of aviation fans of the type attracted to sites like this one, whereas I think the hype of this release will actually draw a huge response across every spectrum of gaming. People not bothered by the price-tag because many will be getting it for a dollar, with game pass........

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This game isn't being released in the year 2005.

Streaming is a problem that's been solved for the past 10 years just think of Netflix, Amazon Prime or Youtube. Besides streaming Microsoft have been delivering Windows updates to computers around the world for decades. I'm sure there might be some hiccups but the worries are overblown. 

Edited by highflyer2020
  • Upvote 1

Microsoft is currently the 2nd largest company (market cap) on the planet.  They have the infrastructure to keep up with server demand.  I am glad such a large company is making this ambitious game, no other game company has the resources to do so.  The streaming of satellite imagery and photogrammetry aerial renderings of Earth is impossible for game developers. 

Edited by Heli
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

As far as numbers of people who will buy this..... I suspect people here are thinking mostly of aviation fans of the type attracted to sites like this one, whereas I think the hype of this release will actually draw a huge response across every spectrum of gaming. People not bothered by the price-tag because many will be getting it for a dollar, with game pass........

Yes, it will be huge hit for streamers, too. This will probably be the first MS Flight Sim where we can go almost anywhere and the scenery will mostly look very nice if not spectacular, right out of the box.

All in a year when most people will not be able do much real-world travelling because of this damned pandemic.

MSFS could turn out to be something like the MS Vacation Simulator 2020. 🙂

Edited by Der Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

I highly doubt it'll be a problem, to be honest (although I'm happy to be proven wrong). 

But, Microsoft has a huge backload of infrastructure to tap into, if demand arises.Just think of the everyday transfers they're facilitating. Things like, OneDrive (Business/Consumer), Windows Updates, Teams streaming, Sharepoint file shares etc which are being streamed/downloaded/uploaded.Then there's the whole Azure infrastructure also. Mircosoft has their own dedicated networks and datacenters. I think they'll manage... 🙂

🙂

Theres no real need to fret over server loads when it comes to purchase and install. Worst thing that could possibly happen is you might decide to wait an extra day or so for them to get more download servers propogated. i doubt the wait would even be that long...perhaps hours or a day would be more realistic. Dont worry, youll download and be playing soon enough, why worry about a few hours or even a days wait?

Id be alot more concerned about how well the program functions once you have it, for instance how well and seamless or not all of that scenery streams to you, among other issues that IMO are worth real concern and likely to be where most of the complaints will stem from.

Edited by hangar