Sign in to follow this  
SAS443

EASA Basic Instrument Rating (BIR)

How many private pilots in here are considering this rather new (2019) rating, or perhaps have already obtained it - if so was it worth it?

I am thinking of getting it in 2021 since it is far easier to stay current than conventional IR rating, the added minima penalties (+200ft) is not something that bothers me.

Limitations

• Single pilot only
  • No high performance airplanes
  • Approach minimums raised 200 feet above standard
  • No less than one mile visibility (1500 meters)
  • Pilots can’t take off unless the departure and destination airports are forecast to be at least 600 foot ceilings and one mile visibility

Thoughts?

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

We have a similar instrument rating option in Australia called a "Private Instrument Rating". It doesn't have the restrictions the EASA version has but is modular in that you can add instrument approach approvals that you want e.g. RNAV only etc. It is popular, but the lack of recency provisions other than a 2 yearly Flight Review does cause some concerns. OK for sensible pilots, but having said that some IR holders are not pillars of virtue either.

David Porrett

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. We have GNS 430 / G1000 on most of our planes and during summertimes (where freezing point is well above FL100 here) this rating is a convenient way of flying through the vast warmfront clouds that would otherwise make a VFR round trip very difficult here. So I guess my interest is primarily the enroute IFR part and not approach capabilities.

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Yes, there are some strings attached, but lots easier to obtain and stay current vs conventional IR. 

Thanks for the input!

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |