Sign in to follow this  
737_800

loosing money buying gpu now

Hi,

do you think it's a bad idea to buy a new gpu right know? There are rumors, that the new gpus will be much better and have better prices. However, I am gonna buy a complete new system for msfs. I was aiming for the GTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio.

My plan is, buying this one using it for ~6 months or so and resell it. Do you think I would loose much money?

Edited by 737_800

If this is geared toward an interim solution for the new MS sim, then I would advise you to wait and see how your present rig handles it, it might do better than you think and waiting three weeks to find that out is no hardship.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Will you loose money if you buy now ? Yes

I was in the same situation as you but I couldn't resist and bought a RTX 2070 Super. I'll probably regret it in 2 months when the 3070 releases, but hopefully the 2070S will handle MSFS just fine enough to make me not think about it.

If you have the patience, wait.

I have a GTX 560 ti, no chance my current system will handle it. I was still using FSX.

How much would I loose? 2070 Super is right know around 650 USD. Could I sell it for 550 USD (with gurantee) on christmas time? I heard the new GPU will have better performance and will cost less. What does that mean? Will I get an GPU on the level of an 1080ti for the price of 2080 Super?

Still, it means waiting for two more months, were other guys are already enjoying flying. Other question is, how will be the availability because of COVID? When the production is down, maybe we won't get any at this time??

I most likely (not hundert percent sure yet) will set up an AMD system with the Ryzen 9 3900X. Are there different chips on the GPU's for AMD vs. Intel motherboards? Or there just one type of i.e GTX 2070 Super for both mobo amd and intel?

EDIT: I thought about it. You say it's two months, right? Nvidia says they will come in Septembre. Release date MSFS 18th Aug. - Sep. equals only 1 month (expecting the cards won't appear in the end of sept.) I think that is ok?

Edited by 737_800

GPU doesn't matter which CPU brand you pick, you can pick whatever you want. RTX2080S is slightly better or same as 1080ti I think.

For selling it in like 6 months, I think the 2070S would cost at least as much as the 1070 costs today. I'm not living in USA so I don't know how GPU's sell there, but I would guess you should expect to loose around 200$

Personally I'm not expecting to play at 2K or 4K soon, so the 2070S will hopefully be enough for me so I'm not planning to upgrade to 3XXX series yet

For the release date, no one really knows but I would say late September. There is also a chance that only 3080/3080ti gets released and 3070 a bit later, so if you don't have the money for 3080 there is a risk you'd have to wait even longer.

Edited by cepact

I am not to sure about cost less if that`s the case AIB partners may get burnt again left with stock they cannot sell for profit, also the cost of DDR6 this is why the game consoles will sell at cost MS are not going to make a profit.

we could see 3080ti around 2000 this time with more ram.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 7/28/2020 at 11:21 PM, G-RFRY said:

we could see 3080ti around 2000 this time with more ram.

You mean like 2000 USD (1700€)?

I was doing some research and apparently it really going to be like around 2000 USD for the GTX 3080ti. For the 3080 without TI is going to be like 1000-1500 USD.

That's way of my buget. I intended to invest like up to 2500-2700 USD maximum. That's not gonna happen with these prices.

When the new GPU are released can we expect that the 2080ti drops its price? Some sites even claim the 3080 might come near to the 2000 USD mark? I hope not so.

If RTX 2070 Super will handle flight sim as you wish, why sell it?

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I wasn't intending to wait for the 30 series, but the 2070s are going out of stock (and not that cheap). Makes me think they are close to releasing the 30x.

Will the 3070 also be out in September or will it be out after the 3080?

I think the premier card in the lineup (3080ti/3090 or whatever its called) will still be a pretty penny.  The others may be more reasonable.  Will be interesting to see long term pricing power however for nvidia.  Big Navi.  Covids effect on discretionary spending.  Capable xbox/PS alternatives.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

17 hours ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

I wasn't intending to wait for the 30 series, but the 2070s are going out of stock (and not that cheap). Makes me think they are close to releasing the 30x.

Will the 3070 also be out in September or will it be out after the 3080?

Looks like they're getting close.  Top end cards Sept. 17th is the rumor and October for the 3070.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-rtx-3080-ampere-gaming-graphics-cards-launch-rumored-17th-september-rtx-3070-in-october-rtx-3060-in-november/

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

I think it was G-RFRY that posted in another thread that the 2000 series cards would go out of production and retailers would have time to sell their stock of 2000 series cards at full price before the 3000 series would enter the pipeline.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.