Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

Can I ask the AVSim community just 1 thing ?

I dont think these forums will be overwhelmed THAT much because the newer younger generation will likely first turn to the MANY Facebook flight sim groups for assistance.

Forums like this are still very popular of course dont get me wrong but those social media simmer groups get heavy traffic and lively discussions too.

• Like 1

Don't forget there's an official Discord Server for MSFS, too.

This will probably also be the main hub for multiplayer activities and voice chat.

Edited by Der Zeitgeist
  • Upvote 1

All that is fne and dandy.  All right. But something is still unclear to me. Should this welcoming attitude to newcomers  be extended to the P3D and XP forum regulars ?

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

A good pinned FAQ at the top of this sub-forum to explain the basics, e.g; not a conventional game, won't get 150 FPS like you do in GTA, multiple approaches and technical levels to the amount of immersion wanted, etc, etc.

2 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Should this welcoming attitude to newcomers  be extended to the P3D and XP forum regulars ?

You're kidding, right? 😄 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

21 minutes ago, LHookins said:

You're kidding, right? 😄 

Hook

As a rule, a touch of acidity and/or a pinch of salt make too sweet a dessert better.  

• Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Instead of a "Newcomers sub-forum", I propose a "True simmers® sub-forum".

The "noobish gamers" would probably act more adult than "true simmers" anyway... 😆

• Like 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Just call the new forum "Sim Gamers"!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I had to read this pinned topic several times before writing this reply: "How to deal with a user whose posts you can't tolerate"... What a pointless topic! And this for two reasons:

Firstly, the mere suggestion that anyone on Avsim can be less than kind and helpful is a gross, mischievous and intolerable misrepresentation of what is going on in these fora. Names please?!

Who? ... Me?!... Nah the only time I ruffle feathers was with someone who inferred that FS95 was ... a game! Insulting  was't it? A lot of Avsim oldies rolled the barrels of tar to help me for my cleansing mission.

Secondly, who would, for one second. suppose that highly experienced, hardcore, eATP self-rated simmers would commit themselves into buying a software where the qualificative "professional" does not appear anywhere in the brand name? Uhh?!

Simply picture yourself in a social gathering where hobbies are being discussed and your turn comes:

- ... and you Sir, what is your hobby?

- I am flying Lockheed Martin Prepar 3D Professional flight simulator.

- (the audience) Oooohhh!!! and what do you fly?

- Well yesterday I flew the Aerosoft Airbus A330 Professional, taking off from Aerosoft Frankfurt Airport Professional, completely fogged in, barely seeing the runway centerline, to land at Aerosoft Heathrow Professional where it was raining cats and dogs, could only see the runway lights at DH...

In a few seconds, your social status has gone through the roof and all eyes and ears are for you to conquer. Now replay that scene replacing P3D with MSFS Asobo, after the second sentence here above, the six-year old kiddie, part of the group, grabbing his mom's skirt shouts:

-  That's my new game on my Xbox!!!

Embarrassing! These MS marketing people will never learn!  Pass the tar please...

Edited by Jean-Claude
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jean-Claude said:

... Well yesterday I flew the Aerosoft Airbus A330 Professional, taking off from Aerosoft Frankfurt Airport Professional, completely fogged in, barely seeing the runway centerline, to land at Aerosoft Heathrow Professional where it was raining Cats & Dogs, ...

Gosh, NOW- FINALLY -  I know what this sim is REALLY missing ...

When I encounter "Bad Weather", WHERE are these CATS & DOGS falling through the sky and bouncing off my windscreen and the runway???

And witches on brooms flying through the clouds sparking Lightning & Thunder at every turn and flick of their brooms.

My perennial 5-year-old self has been very disappointed that Asobo continues to ignore how real weather is really made, and instead presents us with a politically-correct simulation of what they can only think is reality.

Asobo - where are the Easter Eggs???

• Like 1

21 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

Don't tell them to RTFM

especially this. In my experience with sims of all sorts, TFM is rarely complete enough to tell you everything you need to know to be successful at it.

• Upvote 2

FSX wasn't exactly a hardcore simmer's dream either when it first came out. I'm not really worried about the hardcoreness (well it's a word now!) of the sim on release, as long as a healthy aftermarket exists to build that hard core simming environment on the foundation.

What excites me about MSFS is that from appearances, the foundation is very solid and is leaps and bounds beyond the FSX foundation. PMDG, etc, have given us planes that do a great job of simulating flight, but they can't do anything about the dreary colors and lousy graphics of the base sim. And ORBX/etc can make it look *better* but not *good* when compared with what modern graphics can put out.

And if not, there's still P3D.

Edited by eslader

Speaking as a moderator I hope people do behave themselves because having to chastise those who have a short fuse or speak out of turn is not how I like to use my time here.

If certain people irritate you then put them on your ignore list. If a newbie asks what you deem to be a daft question ask yourself how many of those you might have asked when you started out on this hobby. We’ve all been members of that club. A little patience and understanding goes a long way.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

If new comers means a bunch of Xbox gamers...then no thanks. 

• Like 2

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

6 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

If new comers means a bunch of Xbox gamers...then no thanks. 

here we start with a ridiculous elitist comment.

these socalled realistic flyers, why do they behave so yucki...???

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1