Sign in to follow this  
FAZZ3

It’s on Steam

45 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

I will not order through steam if you have FSX:SE check the addons that have a problem installing on steam, the Dev`s will have to make them steam installer.

THIS ^^^^^^

• Like 1

Chris Camp

1 hour ago, Chock said:

if you buy a game not via Steam, which is also available on Steam, you can register it with your Steam account.

This is what I was thinking of doing.  I don't know if ms will provide a "key" that you will be able to import for steam use.  I think I would like to use steam for the bandwidth and stability of the download.  I have a feeling that you will still get update files from MS server within the game even if its launched from steam. this would ensure that we are all using the same version, not relying on if steam gets the update files in a timely manner.

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

1 hour ago, G-RFRY said:

I will not order through steam if you have FSX:SE check the addons that have a problem installing on steam, the Dev`s will have to make them steam installer.

This problem might not transfer to a newer sim such as this.  MSFS has its own store (marketplace) built in so you should not need the steam interface for add-ons, or any other non-ms purchase site for that matter.

• Like 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Not really. With Steam, it has always been possible to add a game or sim which is listed on Steam, but which you have bought outside of Steam, to your Steam library. You could argue that this in fact gives you the best of both worlds, since you are getting it direct from source, but can also take advantage of any offers Steam has in relation to it.

To be clear there are a couple of different options with this. The simplest one is just having Steam show a non-Steam game in your library list. In this case the game is still really an external program when it comes to re-installing etc. with minimal Steam integration. More useful, if the developer supports it, is actually adding the Steam version to your account, which allows you to download the game directly from Steam as if you bought it there.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Chock said:

But with this said, as with FSX, I've always bought stuff for XPlane from external sources rather than through Steam, for the same reason.

Whether this sort of thing will be the case with the new sim is another matter, but it is why, if given the choice between getting the sim through Steam and not, I'd prefer not to go through Steam. And before anyone says it, this is not me hating on Steam, these things I've mentioned which put me off it for flight sim are facts and personal experience with Steam, which as I say, I have used for literally years and I generally have no objection to it.

Hi Chock, good to see you back on Avsim.

You brought up interesting points, but I believe your concerns are all addressed if, like you said, you simply purchase addons and whatnot outside Steam (that is, on the developer's site, SimMarket, etc). I remember the FSX:SE days when addons' installers were updated to take the new installation directories into account, and I believe the same thing will happen with MSFS. I don't think the big guys (PMDG, FSLabs, A2A, etc) will be selling directly on MSFS's Steam DLC page, but instead, on their own sites with external installers, just as I've always done with P3D.

With that in mind, I wonder why you're still not going to buy MSFS on Steam, was there another reason? I don't think we'll have the same issues from the FSX:SE days with different addon pricing.

Another thing I'm curious about.... I think MS might want to keep their Steam DLC page solely for their own upcoming addons (likely airports or other default aircraft), with MSFS's in-game Marketplace being the "open platform" for developers. I just don't know if Steam allows this (a store within a game that doesn't use the Steam DLC page)

This is great news.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

3 hours ago, Kopteeni said:

So everyone who were in a haste to preorder from MS Store for no apparent reason are now having to figure out how to cancel and preorder from Steam instead. This is some funny stuff.

Yeah clicking one button was really difficult. So funny 

Lukas Dalton

3 hours ago, vcarlo said:

Premier 1A ?  How and when did that get into MSFS ?

Hmm... It could have been my mistake in thinking that the guy's intro showing all sorts of stuff - airliner on a rainswept approach etc. was actually MSFS, I've found the same Premier1A footage from a year ago on his channel, my apologies!

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

2 hours ago, MarkW said:

Thanks @Chock, I think you have convinced me to purchase from MS Store and then add to Steam later if I feel that will be beneficial.

This would only have the effect of being a shortcut in Steam as opposed to benefitting from Steam's infrastructure and ecosystem. Depending on the game, that's potentially a huge difference.

Edited by spacedyemeerkat
Added 'ecosystem' for additional clarity.
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Brandon01110 said:

This problem might not transfer to a newer sim such as this.  MSFS has its own store (marketplace) built in so you should not need the steam interface for add-ons, or any other non-ms purchase site for that matter.

Indeed. Do people really think that MS has gone to all the trouble of creating an in-game marketplace, clearly stated that you can still get your addons from an external source, clearly stated that they want the game to be accessible in as many ways as possible, and also clearly stated that this whole sim is a complete break from the old legacy software and will then mess people around with an idiosyncratic Steam install?

There really are some paranoid people on the forums. Kind of like all the worries there were when Steam first came out. I well remember the forum rants about, "no way they'll take my CDs away from me" and the sky is falling.

Plus I really don't understand the aversion to the MS Store. It's just another download and launch program, just like Steam. You run it to check and update the software (just like Steam). It creates desktop icons that you launch the game from (and unlike Steam it doesn't actually start itself in order to get the game running so in some ways it's less intrusive than Steam). You can store your games upon install on whatever drive you like.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Guys, don't just succumb to the hype. Take a hard look at these videos and check what they show and don't show. As I said on the other thread, realistic expectations are in order.

True enough, and good advice for any new flight sim release. But this is different, in my personal view. FS2020 looks like not just a new sim -- it is a revolution, in every sense of the world. There has never been anything remotely approaching a simulation program that makes accessible nearly every road, building, river, lake, you-name-it, on the planet. To me this is the 800 pound gorilla in the room that makes the inevitable glitches and shortcomings of any new release look minor in comparison. I don't care if the flight dynamics, clouds, lighting, instrument panels, and choice of airplanes and whatever else, aren't perfect. The ability to visit almost any spot on earth and see it as in real life is beyond mind-blowing.

And the story is bigger than flight simming per se -- we have here the basis for simulation of boating (including sailing with real wind), driving, and even (in slew mode) walking, anywhere in earth, once we have boats and ground vehicles which are sure to come quickly.

I will leave the nitpicking to others; for me, this is beyond anything I ever expected in my lifetime.

The only advantage you may have on steam Refund if you PC has problems running MSFS, but i would check if steam will do it for MSFS.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Good news! However both Steam and Microsoft stores have prices in my currency, so my plans won't change too much: Xbox Game Pass for 1-2 months to see if my rig is up to the task, and then purchase either Standard or Deluxe... but now at Steam!

• Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I may still go the ms store option just wanted more info on how the add-ons will function via both platforms, I have no issue with the ms store that's the only reason I cancelled pre order

Edited by suchw

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K