Sign in to follow this  
ThomseN_inc

I just saw benchmark results and those left me disappointed.

27 minutes ago, Janov said:

That is assuming that X-Plane will stay the way it is and not evolve.

The only thing that X-Plane can´t match is the satellite/photogrammetry scenery. Everything else could be achieved on the X-Plane platform as well.

Time will tell. I think you will be disappointed when you believe that Asobo/third party will fix the remaining issues within a few months. Maybe a few years. There are 36960 airports in MSFS that need fixing, for example 😉.

Cheers, Jan

X-plane can't match the advancements in the graphics rendering pipeline that someone with Asobo's experience has bought to the sim. Asobo is well known for creating their custom rendering engine. Not every developer has that skill set.

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

6 minutes ago, Slides said:

X-plane can't match the advancements in the graphics rendering pipeline that someone with Asobo's experience has bought to the sim. Asobo is well known for creating their custom rendering engine. Not every developer has that skill set.

Not doubting Asobo’s skills but I think most of their stuff has been in Unreal or the Dunia engine. Like any good developer they built on top of the tools given.

• Like 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

9 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

Like I said...too little too late. Come Aug 18, those claims won't even matter. XP users will be migrating over to MSFS like a herd of cattle.

So aug18 is the end of the world and technology?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slides said:

So does x-plane that have it's own rendering engine and many other simulators, what is special about asobo? The same with other features..voxel clouds, lightning and atmosphere etc.. are not exclusive to msfs and some addons in x-plane already bring the same features for v11 (in fact even before msfs).

• Like 1

I see the boring x-plane v msfs discussion has started up again. Yawn. When are we moving onto the "my dad is better then your dad" discussion?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sanh said:

When are we moving onto the "my dad is better then your dad" discussion?

We don´t need to, because with my dad being the way he is, there is simply no contest! 😄

1 hour ago, sanh said:

When are we moving onto the "my dad is better then your dad" discussion?

"The toy plane I pretend to fly is better than the toy plane you pretend to fly!"

😄 

Hook

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

On 7/30/2020 at 10:24 PM, ThomseN_inc said:

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed somewhere before but i just read an article on a germen gamingsite about MSFS benchmarks with different System specs.

And what i did read there left me a bit disappointed and anxious.

I have to agree that from what I have seen at this point, the much talked about fundamental improvements in performance versus FSX - regardless of all the (obviously massive) improvements just aren't really there. I'm not really seeing any significant differences in overall performance to be honest and remember that this is comparing a heavily optioned-up FSX with a stock standard new FS.

On the other hand, what I am seeing is a pretty good attempt to at least retain generally acceptable minimum levels of performance given how complex the new sim is out of the box. Or to put it another way, if you could even get FSX / P3D to look this good at this complexity (which you obviously can't), it would surely run a lot worse than the new sim does.

But when the add-ons begin to roll, decades of previous experience would point to significant further reductions in performance, though I doubt they will be to the same extent as experienced with previous versions (mainly due to the out of the box complexity of the new sim versus the much less complex out of the box complexity of earlier versions and better multicore code).

That said, I will be interested to see what sort of performance I can get out of it when I configure it to similar levels of "complexity" as I had with FSX with everything turned right up.

• Upvote 1

Obviously it remains to be seen how much overhead there is left for fancy add-ons to fill the thing out somewhere down the line, but it is worth thinking about what FSX and even P3D look like straight out of the box. Whenever anyone does a re-install of those, the first thing they do is not go for a flight, no, they immediately start chucking tons of payware at it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

22 hours ago, Nyxx said:

It's also worth noting for the people thats glass in half full is that Chewwy runs at 4k and to have that much autogen, weather and still have 44 FPS is great to see. Glad I am still on 1080x1920. I know people on these forums that have regretted going to 4k because of the huge performance hit. Until we see an addon aircraft or airports we have no idea if or how much it will burn FPS, this is not FSX or FSX with lipstick on it. So we can only wait to see if these big addons take chunks of FPS off or not.

Exactly.

I really hope that the likes of UK2000, OrbX and Aerosoft don't carry on developing airports that "look better than all the rest" but bring the sim to its  its stuttering knees on approach.

Whosoever is able to reign-in their egos and develop airports (whether international, regional or local) that look 'good enough'... but run smoothly, will get my cash.

18 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

LOL...well we see what MSFS has been doing for the last 3 years....and it outshines XP11...XP12...XP13 etc.

You waited ages for Vulkan...is that still in Beta? And now you are looking forward to XP12? XP is too little too late. I doubt you will see an XP12, and if you do...it will still be 12 years behind MSFS today.

Austin will eventually make the only business decision left to make...continue with his mobile app and "discontinue" the desktop version. The customer base will leave for MSFS, the 3PDevs will leave for MSFS, and XP will fade away.

Very likely.

...I only use XP for Ortho. The water, weather and skies are pretty poor.

With Ortho built in to FS2020, along with PBR, dynamic lighting/trueglass (equivalents), Ai traffic and a decent weather system, it somewhat negates the need for quite a lot of 3rd party addons.

This has two major benefits: cost and performance. Adding say a 3rd Party weather engine is gonna cost and probably (if it purports to be an improvement) affect performance adversly.

This is THE best flight simulator "out of the box", in history.

It just needs sensibly rendered airports, aircraft (obs !) and better hardware .... !

I reckon in 2 years, it will be stonking and worth upgrading to a 4080Ti and a 7nm 10-core CPU running at 7 Ghz 👍😜

Edited by GBee777

55 minutes ago, JonP01 said:

I have to agree that from what I have seen at this point, the much talked about fundamental improvements in performance versus FSX - regardless of all the (obviously massive) improvements just aren't really there. I'm not really seeing any significant differences in overall performance to be honest and remember that this is comparing a heavily optioned-up FSX with a stock standard new FS.

FSX ran — not to mince words — horribly on release in 2006, even on at-that-time excellent hardware.

It’s now 14 years old, and looks it. The apples-to-apples comparison here is not “do FSX and MSFS run similarly on August 18, 2020”. It’s “does MSFS run better on contemporary standard hardware at release than FSX did?”

I think it’s already clear that the answer is “yes.” In fairness, it’s a low bar, because FSX at launch was a dumpster fire in terms of performance.

James

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Janov said:

The ones that are minded like cattle will.

You know you will get MSFS as well, so don't be so hard on yourself.

Edited by FlyBaby

6 hours ago, mtaxp said:

So does x-plane that have it's own rendering engine and many other simulators, what is special about asobo? The same with other features..voxel clouds, lightning and atmosphere etc.. are not exclusive to msfs and some addons in x-plane already bring the same features for v11 (in fact even before msfs).

Their rendering engine is old and they lack the experience to optimize it for 2020.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

25 minutes ago, Slides said:

and they lack the experience to optimize it for 2020.

Well, I don´t think lack of experience is the problem. Nor the rendering engine.

Asobo Studio - founded 2002

Directx 11 - released 2009

Laminar Research - released X-Plane1 1993

Vulkan API - released 2016

One thing that certainly weighs LR down is that they need/want to maintain compatibility as much as possible for all legacy add-ons and 3rd party apps. It is easier to write a completely new simulation without regard to backwards compatibility. But lack of experience? No.

Edited by Janov
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2