Sign in to follow this  
badderjet

Where is fog?

Just asked this some place else but I feel like it might be worth an own thread. Checking out all the footage of the weather settings I see all sorts of things, but nothing like a visibility slider. In the IFR episode it was clearly stated that it's possible to "precisely set ceilings and RVR for instrument practice". We've seen the beauty and stunning visuals of this sim more than enough. I want to see something like an 800m visibility ILS, and I want to see CATIII conditions. So if any of those content creators reads this, this is what I want to see. I can't believe that to this day, with release literally within reach, we haven't seen any serious IFR, more specifically IMC footage (including the IFR episode...). Or have I missed something?

• Upvote 1

While I personally find a landing in fog quite spectacular, that really doesn’t answer the question. I haven’t seen anything like it so far, and I’m starting to wonder if and how such a basic phenomenon is modeled. Not talking rainbows here.

I wonder if the engine just gets fog wrong? So we know there are multiple cloud layers right (60?), then it's reasonable to assume the cloud types change based on which layer they form. So then it stands to reason also if water vapor condenses on or near the ground it should be rendered as fog. From what I've seen it looks more like more clouds but it could be the engine is getting the density wrong or something? I've seen some preview videos today which I think is trying to show flog so I think it's there but doesn't always look very convincing.

Thanks for the link. I don’t get it. Looks like a cloud layer on the ground. Funny that he says it looks „like it is foggy“. And a given visibility of „7.02 NM“ is very much far away from any fog… without clouds this visibility would be eligible for CAVOK. And far, like REALLY far away from setting the weather precisely as advertised. That’s not the fog I’m talking about. I want to see something less than half a mile or so. Still no luck.

Edited by badderjet

1 hour ago, badderjet said:

Thanks for the link. I don’t get it. Looks like a cloud layer on the ground. Funny that he says it looks „like it is foggy“. And a given visibility of „7.02 NM“ is very much far away from any fog… without clouds this visibility would be eligible for CAVOK. And far, like REALLY far away from setting the weather precisely as advertised. That’s not the fog I’m talking about. I want to see something less than half a mile or so. Still no luck.

Did you watch where you were told to? At around 4:30 when he loads in, there's a thick layer of fog with visibility nearly less than 1/2SM. Considering he's starting at LA, that's typically a morning / evening marine layer that comes in and has cloud tops between 1 to 3k feet. The clouds seen are abnormally thin, and using the external view does make it odd, but that's still fog.

Edited by FlyingInACessna
  • Like 2

Last time I checked it was on the Tyne:

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, badderjet said:

What do you think fog is?

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Umm have you even played the Tech Beta? What a superfluous question. 

2 hours ago, badderjet said:

tbh it feels like you are complaining for the sake of complaining

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Fog is a cloud layer on the ground...

https://www.google.com/search?q=define+fog

Edited by WestAir
  • Like 3

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

So can we have a clear statement here? Is it possible to set an RVR of say, 300 meters and have that accurately shown in the simulator?

Cheers, Jan

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1