Sign in to follow this  
Swe_Richard

11.5 Beta 17 is out.

Anyone tried it yet? I've felt slightly reluctant to upgrade from my b14 as it is working quite well. Maybe it's time to take the plunge and do another update..

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Depends works fine, dont think we too far from RC, but you can just make a copy of your xplane folder to another drive, and do an upgrade on one, just need to create a shortcut to exe and make sure you name one folder as xplane 11b so you dont get confused, xplane doesnt care. I have 4 version on here, just in case.

It crashed on me while doing 360 panning outside the airplane, wanted to see if the panning stutter was gone, didn't crash on me on previous beta, will file a bug if it happens again.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Works great here - and the (momentary) dip in framerate when switching views is gone as well.

Cheers, Jan

Seems to be working well for me too. Glad I took the plunge.. 😉

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Anyone have problem getting into the setting with this version? It crashes on me every time! If I back out of the beta to 10.41 then I can access them just fine. 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Any of you guys have ToLiss A319? That one seems to cause CTDs for me in this beta (was working perfectly on b14 before).

Richard

constant vulkan device loss errors.... sigh

this ms2020 cant come quick enough

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

If you can't run XP11 well on your hardware, you have exactly zero chance of getting flight 2.0 to work. considering it is more demanding and less mature.

You really are going to be in for a shock... I love X-Plane like a lot of users here, but you're in for a surprise...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, tonywob said:

You really are going to be in for a shock... I love X-Plane like a lot of users here, but you're in for a surprise...

Load up a VFR flight in socal, hit direct to the nearst airport, load up a procedure, tune into the radios. Let me know how that works out!

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

16 hours ago, tonywob said:

If you put your head in the sand, click your heals together three times, it might just be true dorathy.

Meanwhile, in the real world, XP11 is going from strength to strength whilst Asobo shift all their resources to the new release of a Plagues Tale. So I hope for the Microsofties sake its already perfect.

He needs to file a bug report

here

https://x-plane.com/bugs

And they will fix it.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

@mSparks Why can't you attempt to help a user without using it as a sly attempt to take a dig at Microsoft or MFS?. You are absolutely not helping X-Plane with your remarks and constant sly digs at "Flight 2.0, xBots" etc... It was perhaps funny once, it really isn't anymore and if you think you're helping to promote X-Plane, I assure you, you're not, and you're having the opposite effect.

You make an assumption Asobo will simply abandon MFS and start working on Plague's Tale.... Where did you read that? Clearly Asobo are in this for the long run as well if you watch any of their videos or interviews. 

You are sometimes a good and helpful X-Plane user and post knowledgable and helpful posts for users wanting help, but if you carry on with these types of posts then you'll be taking a long vacation from these forums as well.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, strider1 said:

Load up a VFR flight in socal, hit direct to the nearst airport, load up a procedure, tune into the radios. Let me know how that works out!

Once the NDA is lifted, I'll be happy to talk about it and prove my point

27 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Why can't you attempt to help a user

From Laminar themselves, if it really needs more "help" than "file a bug report and they'll fix it":

On 8/13/2020 at 9:40 PM, JustSid said:

This 100 times! Especially on Windows, we have fantastic tools at our disposal to figure out what exactly is happening. Anyone who was filed a perf report should've gotten a follow up question asking for an ETW trace (on Windows, anyways). And I really do look at all ETW traces, even though I don't always reply if there isn't much actionable information in there. For example in your case, not letting the HDD go to sleep was a guess for something that might help. Sometimes all I do is reply with an XPD number if it led to a bug being filed. You might have to wait for a reply too at times, I usually wait a couple of days to get a bunch of reports and then look through all of them at once.

So, what's in an ETW trace? ETW provides low overhead sampling of CPU activity (plus a whole bunch of other things, but that's usually way less interesting). The sampling happens at around 8 kHz and it just records what the CPU was doing at the exact point in time. The end result is that I can look at it afterwards and see a timeline of how X-Plane was using the CPU. In @ckelly14's case, this is what I got:

Yn2M5LJ.png

This is looking at a single thread, the top band shows you the state of the thread. Green means it's running on the CPU, red means it's blocked due to synchronization. As you can see, there is a big fat sea of red right there. The blue bars are an inverted flame graph, so at the top you have the root functio9n, then the function called by that function and so on. As you can see, most of the time spent in that sea of red is all inside the Windows kernel (ntoskrnl.exe). Going up a bit, you can see that it started in CreateFileW which is a bit of a red herring because that function is also used to open files. Okay, so, something opened a file. Who did? Well, DRM_get_credentials_internal did. And we are done, we found the culprit!

To finish this real quick, this was a Steam install, so the underlying question is what the h### is going in? Well, it turns out that our DRM runs even when we are on Steam. That's bug number 1. The second thing is that the DRM tries to open the DRM file that contains your key, to verify the install. That file doesn't exist if you are on Steam, cuz you aren't using our DRM. So we hit the OS, it looks at the disk, then it goes "that file doesn't exist". Now, normally the result of the DRM look up is cached once at start, but if the file doesn't exist, it keeps looking for it. Leading to massive stutters. That's bug number 2.

For anyone wondering, the time range of this is almost 3 seconds! The sim stops for 3 seconds to do a completely unnecessary DRM check. This is clearly a stupid bug. But the thing is, you wouldn't know from just looking at the Log file or anything else. Really, if you told me that your sim stutters ever so often for 3 seconds, I'd go "well, fnck, I got no clue what that could be". This is why you need to file bug reports for perf issues, because in this case ETW makes it insanely easy to find the culprit. We can actually see what X-Plane and the CPU were doing at the time. No guessing based on incomplete data.

For what it's worth, I don't even look at log files for perf reports until I looked at the ETW trace. And then usually I only do so to confirm hunches like what kind of CPU are we on, and what are the settings and resolution the sim is running at. That's not to say the log file is completely useless, so for example if you came to me and said your GPU time is terrible and then sent a log file that shows a GTX 680 on a 4k monitor with HDR on and SSAA cranked to 8x, I'd tell you to adjust your settings and be reasonable. But for stutters like the one above, the log file is absolutely useless.

Tl;dr: Don't post on the org that you have stutters or low perf with a log file. All you invite is armchair guess work. Please file a bug report and we can actually for real look at what's happening. This is how most of the perf fixes from b17 came to be, and how most of the perf fixes for the next beta have been made. If you don't file it, don't expect it to be fixed.

What will not help anyone is pretending microsofts new release will magically make hardware perform beyond what it is capable of, sitting around complaining into your caramel latte or praying the grass is greener on the other side.

27 minutes ago, tonywob said:

without using it as a sly attempt to take a dig at Microsoft or MFS?

perhaps if more people called out companies over promising and under delivering they wouldn't do it quite so very often. Microsoft needs to stop this most of all before the last of the hold outs abandon them - may already be to late.

24 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Once the NDA is lifted

You of all people should know the NDA is never being lifted.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer