Sign in to follow this  
BerndB

MS/ASOBO pls put some attention on the clouds visuals

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

I think you'll find people have a lot more to say once the NDA is lifted. 🙂 

Hook

I am sure of that. I doubt that I’ll be an early adopter for purely technical reasons and look forward to your comments. I am impressed by some videos, a little less by others. After all these years I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. Overall, that sounds good. Now. The long term is something I leave to younger simmers. 

But I do not relish at the idea of the sad circus this forum will become between fanatics and mercenaries of all strains. We have got a taste of it these recent days. People unable if not to bridge the gap of their differences at least to accept that people can think differently than them.  And of course, the chihuahuas 🤣.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

3 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

The long term is something I leave to younger simmers. 

You're only a few months older than I am.  We're at that age where we no longer buy green bananas.  Long term is defined as "next week."

I didn't pre-order.  I want to wait and see what we get on release day.

If you wanted to recreate the flight from the book "Flight of Passage" by Rinker Buck, where a couple of teens flew a Piper 28 from New Jersey to California, MSFS is made for it.  You can't get a better experience.  Just use the Savage Cub.  This is the kind of flying I do.  This doesn't mean MSFS is perfect, though. 😄 

If I can get a Stearman, I'll do the flight from "Cannibal Queen."  This should also be a good one.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Notwithstanding any comments about either the pilot or the plane (I know little about 747s anyway), I would have thought meteorologically speaking, given the weather that day, that he would have been in for a pretty rough ride, or at lweast some turbulence. Yet i detected little or no turbulence as he passed  through a thick cloud. I'd have thought severe icing would also have been a problem - that would have been a good thing to showcase maybe?

Another thing I'd like to see would have been a view of the thunderheads. Even Sky Force in P3D does that OK -  kind of..

In terms of colouring, I've often think I remember how the real world looks from a plane, but when I actually go one on one I realize I didn't remember very well at all. Looking at vidoes of real cloudscapes, MSFS in the main seems to have done an excellent job, and as someone else said; without 4 other addons to make it look half decent.

Visually it was pretty stunning for starters.

I have pre-ordered MSFS so we'll have to see for sure once it's released I guess.

Ray

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, March Hare said:

I won't be spoiling the real pilots' enjoyment using this software in my own way, or when I'm making many errors while learning and practising in full sim mode.

Re all the testers who haven't played a sim before, this is in some way invaluable to the development team. The team want - no, they need - to have more people who aren't familiar with flying an airplane or using a simulator to test this. The simulator mechanics are modified from the existing code for FSX. They have a legacy of tests done via previous versions to be confident that that essentially works. But this is clearly aimed at newcomers, too, so they need to know how those people (like me) experience it, learn from it. Are the tutorials clear and intuitive? Do the various levels of assists work as they should? Etc. They need feedback from all types and experience levels.

Couldn't have put that better myself. It doesn't matter one jot what another user of the sim does with their plane if they aren't in a group flight with you, so why be bothered about it? They could be sharing the same 20m2 of airspace with you but you won't see, feel or be affected by their presence - they are effectively playing an entirely different game/sim to you.

MS/Asobo need to maximise sales of the product, that's just responsible business sense. As such, they need to make it as accessible to the widest range of users. If you're a hardcore simmer, you're likely to be obsessed with ATC being accurate, being able to start from cold and dark and needing flight dynamics to be realistic. Others may want an experience that is closer to being a passenger than a pilot (strap in and take off with the minimum of fuss), and still others want to just throw a plane around the sky in ways that the real plane and pilot couldn't physically cope with. Which one of those is wrong? None of them. Which one of them is less valuable to the development of an all-inclusive sim? None of them. 

have flown FSX aircraft from cold and dark (and I might be enticed to try that more in the new sim), but it doesn't particularly float my boat that much. I don't feel any less valid a user of flight sims that a real world pilot who goes for 100% realism.

The closer we've got to the release date, the less bothered I've been about not getting to be an alpha or beta tester because if I'd had any of my footage shared by the devs, I'd have felt pretty insulted if all some people wanted to do was criticise my lack of flight skills.

Finally, I'd hazard a guess that the reason much of the user videos we've seen is from gamer-flyers is simply because gamers are probably more used to sharing their experience from console gaming, so maybe it's not so much that there is a high percentage of non-hardcore simmers doing the testing and more the case that it's simply that a higher percentage of gamers have done the uploading of videos. Just a thought to ponder...

Edited by 109Sqn
typo
  • Like 3

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

seeing that guy's video (747 posted by @Nyxx )  makes me realize how much of a gamer/non-hardcore simmer I must be.  I've been flying for decades but I dont know the procedure for starting a 747.  I know what iFly told me was the procedure to start their 737 but Ive forgotten.

I just like to fly around and see stuff...aka 'sightseer'.  and I love VOR's and ILS's but I still dont know "proper procedures" or what all the buttons do.

Im glad I enjoy it and I hope/know that others do as well.

• Like 2

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

33 minutes ago, sightseer said:

seeing that guy's video (747 posted by @Nyxx )  makes me realize how much of a gamer/non-hardcore simmer I must be.  I've been flying for decades but I dont know the procedure for starting a 747.  I know what iFly told me was the procedure to start their 737 but Ive forgotten.

I just like to fly around and see stuff...aka 'sightseer'.  and I love VOR's and ILS's but I still dont know "proper procedures" or what all the buttons do.

Im glad I enjoy it and I hope/know that others do as well.

That's the beauty of the flight sims... You can make it as complex and as realistic as YOU want.

Discussions about it being a simulator or a game is pointless because it can be both... All depends on the user 😉

• Like 2

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

The OP was clearly trying to kick up a storm for the fun of it, and guess what, you all fell for it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sightseer said:

Real 747 pilots have written workflows and checklists.

Anyway

You have not forgotten yet your real name ✔️

You land the Cub on the runway most of time  ✔️

On average you land it the middle of the runway   ✔️

You know a control tower from a VOR ✔️

You don't have more than 5 (five) lethal accidents a year  ✔️

You didn't fail in the last two weeks a Drug & Alcohol testing ✔️

So you are good to go on the Asobo 747 left seat. For cargo operation only though.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

15 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

You land the Cub on the runway most of time

Oops!   Failed that one big time! 😄 

"Runways?  Where we're going we don't NEED runways."

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

When I was first starting out with flight simulator back in the 80s,  I used to joke about having a 100% chance of getting the passengers to the destination airport but only a 75% chance of not crashing in back of the place 🙂 

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

All this is taken out of context, the idea of a showcase is to highlight the positive product features, you don't put somebody to present a product that is not familiar with.
There is no justice for the product.
Very funny is how many are complaining about fidelity, stutters, clouds, scenery, the colors are not correct, people complaining about different software that don't interact correctly like software for the checklist to be corrected because some airline's checklist says otherwise, etc. But the way of this guy is doing stuff like that it is OK. I sought that everybody in looking for "as close as to reality" experience and fidelity part of the hubby.
I sought that if we want to see the roads where they are, bridges, airports, correct taxi ways and sceneries, airplanes desighned with accuracy like FsLabs, MadDog, PMDG a few to name known for fidelity and using correct checklists and procedures are what some of sim community is looking for.
You don't put people testing, evaluating, or presenting a product that have no idea about it in certain stages of development and let it go public jeopardizing the outcome of a new product.
Wow, how wrong I was. 
Edited by killthespam

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

13 hours ago, Nyxx said:

GG Guys.

Really!

very interesting how thread can even evolve into ...what was it again?!?🤭

• Like 1

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

Gentlemen, i really have to thank you for keeping this thread alive and at the top of the list, based on all the continous replys.👍 Off topic or not, who cares...😇

Edited by BerndB
  • Like 1

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

1 hour ago, killthespam said:
All this is taken out of context, the idea of a showcase is to highlight the positive product features, you don't put somebody to present a product that is not familiar with.
There is no justice for the product.
Very funny is how many are complaining about fidelity, stutters, clouds, scenery, the colors are not correct, people complaining about different software that don't interact correctly like software for the checklist to be corrected because some airline's checklist says otherwise, etc. But the way of this guy is doing stuff like that it is OK. I sought that everybody in looking for "as close as to reality" experience and fidelity part of the hubby.
I sought that if we want to see the roads where they are, bridges, airports, correct taxi ways and sceneries, airplanes desighned with accuracy like FsLabs, MadDog, PMDG a few to name known for fidelity and using correct checklists and procedures are what some of sim community is looking for.
You don't put people testing, evaluating, or presenting a product that have no idea about it in certain stages of development and let it go public jeopardizing the outcome of a new product.
Wow, how wrong I was. 

Are you really expecting MS to administer flight tests before allowing people to test the product?

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

3 hours ago, sightseer said:

The live checklists should allow you to do that without knowing the procedures on your own. I'm very glad they carried this over from Microsoft Flight.