Sign in to follow this  
rtodepart

Here’s my wife’s question related to the 18th

49 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

No contest. Turn off that computer and do the homework dude. You could end up subject matter for another sad country song and there's too many of those now. 

Terrible advice. We are simulating flight, and more specifically air transport operations here.

As any of the real ATPs here will confirm: Ask yourself, what would you do if one of the stews turned up on the flight deck half naked just as you are beginning your approach? Answer: you would explain that you are a professional who has several hundred people depending on him to land the plane safely, and politely but firmly ask her to leave. Simple. 

Now, if you were at cruise when the FA decided to join you up front - well, that would be a different situation altogether.

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Realistically speaking? You're simulating being a pilot (even if you're a pilot in real life) using a flight simulator on your PC - the plane on screen, the environment.. all NOT real - just a sim. Your wife is real, life's too short. She is a real person, the 500 pax on the virtual jet aren't. Go procreate, or simulate procreation if you've had a vasectomy..

(too much??) :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Been married 13 years and that would be a sim pause without thinking about it.

I would say “just a sec I need to pause this” first though 😀

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

4 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Realistically speaking? You're simulating being a pilot (even if you're a pilot in real life) using a flight simulator on your PC - the plane on screen, the environment.. all NOT real - just a sim. Your wife is real, life's too short. She is a real person, the 500 pax on the virtual jet aren't. Go procreate, or simulate procreation if you've had a vasectomy..

(too much??) :biggrin:

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Like 1

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

26 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Now, I may not be qualified to give relationship advice, but we’re really talking about aviation here.

My suggestion is - given that you’re about to begin an important phase of flight - you reply to the kind offer as Sully would: “Unable.” Short, crisp and directly to the point.

Now, you may well get a disbelieving response of “I’m sorry...SAY AGAIN, CACTUS???”

What do you now? Well, just like Sully - there is no need to respond.

Remember - it’s aviate, navigate, communicate, in that order.

As I said, I don’t hold any any formal qualifications in the field of relationship advice, but i’m pretty sure that will work out OK for you (let us know).

I'm beginning to see why you don't hold any qualifications in the field of relationship advice.

Simming is not aviation. In aviation a mistake can kill you, just as it can in personal relations. Like I said, do you're home work first.

• Like 1

Vic green

8 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

I'm beginning to see why you don't hold any qualifications in the field of relationship advice.

Simming is not aviation. In aviation a mistake can kill you, just as it can in personal relations. Like I said, do you're home work first.

“Do your homework first”- it’s not the 1990s any more, Patch, and we do not carry on like that in the cockpit.

Let’s keep it professional, people. Half of Avsim is clearly going to end up like this:

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001212X18632

“The private pilot and a pilot rated passenger were going to practice simulated instrument flight. Witnesses observed the airplane's right wing fail in a dive and crash. Examination of the wreckage and bodies revealed that both occupants were partially clothed and the front right seat was in the full aft reclining position. Neither body showed evidence of seatbelts or shoulder harnesses being worn. Examination of the individuals' clothing revealed no evidence of ripping or distress to the zippers and belts.”

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

• THE PILOT IN COMMAND'S IMPROPER INFLIGHT DECISION TO DIVERT HER ATTENTION TO OTHER ACTIVITIES NOT RELATED TO THE CONDUCT OF THE FLIGHT. CONTRIBUTING TO THE ACCIDENT WAS THE EXCEEDING OF THE DESIGN LIMITS OF THE AIRPLANE LEADING TO A WING FAILURE.
  • Upvote 1

Oz

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

Been married 13 years and that would be a sim pause without thinking about it.

I would say “just a sec I need to pause this” first though 😀

Nah,  the plane is crashing, and I’m leaving the mic hot so the whole vatsim controller channel can hear it.

• Like 2

Or as Scotty of Star Trek fame would say.... Capt, the ship can't take much more. She's about to .........!!!!

• Like 1

Bill Moore

Always remember your priorities - procreate, aviate, navigate, communicate. 🙂

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

7 hours ago, rtodepart said:

Its 3:30 am you’re just about to contact approach inbound to LAX and then out of the sudden I show up half naked next to your desk with full on clearance to do with me as you please  . What would you do ? 

Im not lying she actually layed down this scenario for me last night as I tryed to explain to her for the 87k time how exited i was about the 18 . And i was unable to spit out a solid answer right away. 

The diversion should only take a few minutes.... 

• Upvote 1

Jeff Callender

40 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

... just as it can in personal relations...

Well, I don't think the lady is anything like Aileen Wuornos, but one never knows... :blink:

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

34 minutes ago, Chock said:

Always remember your priorities - procreate, aviate, navigate, communicate. 🙂

Uh, i’m pretty sure “procreation” is something we’re trying to avoid during amorous liaisons on the flightdeck, Chock. 

As for whether you can simulate all this while still keeping things at “study level sim” standards...on the 18th, it depends on what you’re flying. 

GA - nope, see that NTSB report, it’s a bad idea, don’t do it.

A320 - well, they don’t make modern aircraft like they used to - no swivel FE seat like the 727 - so this is just not going to work.

787 - if you’ve sprung for the Premium Deluxe version, we can probably sim this OK. Throw two mattresses up into the crawl space of your roof to simulate the pilot rest area. Problem solved! You can keep the flight “as real as it gets”, gf will also be happy, what’s not to like? 😊

• Like 2

Oz

Just now, OzWhitey said:

A320 - well, they don’t make modern aircraft like they used to - no swivel FE seat like the 727 - so this is just not going to work.

I beg to differ, sir! Captain Joe of youtube fame, in a discussion with DutchPilotGirl mentioned that the Airbus tray which pulls out of the instrument panel is good for supporting 55kg, plus there's no control yoke to get in the way... :tongue: go to approx 4 minutes 20 seconds in..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVIpgSUNyBw

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

4 hours ago, Chock said:

Was gonna make a joke about flaps, but best not.

I was going to make a joke about cockpits, but then I winced and slapped myself, instead.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5