Sign in to follow this  
Lotharen

What Joystick/Yoke Combo will you use?

Yoko Plus with MFG rudder pedals. Waiting on the Honeycomb throttle so using the slider throttle on my Logitech Attack 3 joystick instead, but thats alright as I will be flying GA for the next few months anyway. 

• Like 1

VKB Gladiator K and TWCS throttle for DCS, X-plane, FSX and soon this sim. Great stick.

Edited by Slides

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

It's nice to see how many different variations everyone is using. Gives me something to think about. Thanks for sharing everyone!

Gaming Laptop:
MSI GS75 Stealth 5.6GHz Intel Core i9 - 10th gen 16 core CPU  -  32 GB DDR4 SDRAM  - 1TB SSD - RTX 2080 Super - 1920x1080 - 3 fans and cooling pipes.

Honeycomb yoke, and Warthog HOTAS setup - also have the bravo throttle quadrant on pre-order.

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

On 8/1/2020 at 3:12 AM, Lotharen said:

I know a joystick isn't realistic with GA aircraft like the Cessna but I'm curious about it.

Maybe not, but there are far more GA aeroplanes built these days with sticks rather than yokes, it's definitely the way things have been going for quite a while.

I do have a yoke and some rudder pedals, but a lot of the time it's too much of a faff to use them so I end up using a stick and a throttle with a pedal rocker switch on that for the rudder (Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS). Generally speaking if I had to pick one of these two choices I have available, it would be the one I use most because you can fly a jetliner or GA aeroplane which has a yoke, with a stick and it's still reasonable in terms of control, but flying a chopper or a jet fighter with a yoke just feels all wrong.

Oddly enough, if nobody has ever tried flying a chopper with a playstation-style joypad (I have one of these for Euro Truck Simulator) it's actually quite good, because with what are effectively two small joysticks, a controller of that type gives you better option for collective and cyclic assignments. 

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I will use my Logitech G940 stick/throttle/pedals.

Edited by Pugilist2

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Maybe not, but there are far more GA aeroplanes built these days with sticks rather than yokes, it's definitely the way things have been going for quite a while.

I do have a yoke and some rudder pedals, but a lot of the time it's too much of a faff to use them so I end up using a stick and a throttle with a pedal rocker switch on that for the rudder (Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS). Generally speaking if I had to pick one of these two choices I have available, it would be the one I use most because you can fly a jetliner or GA aeroplane which has a yoke, with a stick and it's still reasonable in terms of control, but flying a chopper or a jet fighter with a yoke just feels all wrong.

Oddly enough, if nobody has ever tried flying a chopper with a playstation-style joypad (I have one of these for Euro Truck Simulator) it's actually quite good, because with what are effectively two small joysticks, a controller of that type gives you better option for collective and cyclic assignments. 

I wondered what that was you used in your videos. Thanks for sharing Chock!

Well, I took the plunge and went with this one:

https://www.newegg.com/black-thrustmaster-t16000m-fcs-hotas-joystick-throttle/p/N82E16826280080?Description=thrustmaster&cm_re=thrustmaster-_-26-280-080-_-Product&quicklink=true

It looks decent and will fit nicely on my desk. Should make flying a bit easier considering this is what I used when I would fly from the 90's into the last iteration of MSFS. Ca't wait to try it out.

Honeycomb range is a must in my opinion. The yoke for now, then the highly anticipated Bravo throttle and Charlie rudder pedals. That's GA, Boeings etc.

For Airbus, I'll buy the new Thrustmaster Airbus side stick (+ Honeycomb throttle and pedals).

Other than that, I'd like some radio panel. Also planning to purchase an iPad 🙂

• Like 1

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat pedals. I've never felt any cognitive dissonance using a joystick with aircraft that show a yoke moving in the cockpit, and it makes it easier to keep my simming/computer desk organized.

I modded the Warthog joystick by removing the heavy main spring, leaving just the smaller, much weaker centering springs. It's more "floppy" and loose now, but still has a mild centering action. It's much better than the default very stiff action when flying helicopters, and it still works fine for fixed wing.

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I bought the Honeycomb yoke a week after I joined the Alpha and I absolutely love it. Now I’m thinking about buying some new pedals and a throttle quadrant but I‘m not sure if I should go for the ones from Honeycomb as I also want to buy a new graphics card and maybe even a VR headset. That could get a bit expensive. Are there any cheaper pedals or throttles you could recommend?

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

5 hours ago, BijanStudio said:

I had one of this but it didn't last long. A couple thumb buttons on the throttle stopping working just few months after I got it.

I would recommend the Thrustmaster FCS instead: https://www.amazon.com/ThrustMaster-2960778-Thrustmaster-T16000M-HOTAS/dp/B01KCHPRXA/ref=pd_sbs_147_1/144-7524268-4685753?

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

VKB Gladiator K and TWCS throttle. A great combination until VKB's throttle comes out.

VKB products (like Virpil) are really at a class of their own.

2_750c750.jpg?fit=750,750&ssl=1

Edited by Slides

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub