Sign in to follow this  
Pevenhull

30,000 Airfields. Small Airfields?

Hi,

Just joined.

Have X-Plane 11 at the moment.

Got the hardware, i5 8600K @ 4.7GHz & RTX 2080ti.

My enquiry is in regards to MS providing correct topography and surface texture for small grass strips, eg XEG3BZ, XEG3AP, XEG3HF & XBID.

Have a HP Reverb G2 on pre-order ( £525 )

Don't want to commit to MS FS2020 until I have confirmation the small grass strips are there and true to life.

Cheers,

Jim

oh they will be there, no worries.

but maybe again your expectations are a lil ( a lot) unrealistic

The NDA won’t allow for an accurate answer I’m afraid. Your best bet would be to get the sim for just $1 on GamePass which can allow you to check out the Standard version for a month. If you like what you see, you can then decide if you’d like to commit to MSFS or not. 

• Like 1

I can't speak for those particular airports, but small grass strips tend to be well done.  And if the small grass strip doesn't actually exist in the sim as an airport, the actual grass strip will still probably be there in the scenery and you can land and take off.

We've seen grass strips in videos, so this isn't secret information.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1 hour ago, Pevenhull said:

Don't want to commit to MS FS2020 until I have confirmation the small grass strips are there and true to life.

You mean the grass strips that you have to install scenery for in X-Plane?

Edited by WarpD
  • Like 2

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

57 minutes ago, WarpD said:

You mean the grass strips that you have to install scenery for in X-Plane?

While there are undoubtely grass strips that you can download scenery for in X-Plane (after all it has a large and vibrant community making lots of cool free custom airports), the airports the OP referred to are already included in X-Plane by default and represented within X-Plane´s capabilities, including buildings, fences, cars, etc. 😉

We call this the Scenery Gateway system - many thousand users have registered and uploaded their hand-crafted renditions of airports from small grass strips like Stoney Lane to big airports like KATL.

Jan

Edited by Janov
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Janov said:

We call this the Scenery Gateway system - many thousand users have registered and uploaded their hand-crafted renditions of airports from small grass strips like Stoney Lane to big airports like KATL.

That is still an "install" as it's not part of the default product.  Requiring a download... etc.  Someone has to have made the scenery for it to be downloadable.  In short... yeah... like I said... you have to install it.  Just because it can be automated doesn't change the actual physical task of installing it.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

9 minutes ago, WarpD said:

That is still an "install" as it's not part of the default product.

Lol, you are being serious? So any official update to any product is "requiring a download"? Technically, yes. Do you still run your Windows as you installed it? Or did you have to do some "downloads" to keep it up to date?

I suggest you run the new MSFS the way you buy it on the 18th. Then cut off your internet connection (so nothing downloads!!) and then see how you like that! 🤣

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Janov said:

Lol, you are being serious? So any official update to any product is "requiring a download"? Technically, yes. Do you still run your Windows as you installed it? Or did you have to do some "downloads" to keep it up to date?

I suggest you run the new MSFS the way you buy it on the 18th. Then cut off your internet connection (so nothing downloads!!) and then see how you like that! 🤣

His point is how it looks out of the box on the 18th,

Xplane as you say has gone through a lot of update so your argument is fundamentally flawed Your not comparing like for like are you. What did them airports look like on version 1 of Xplane? were them airports even there in version 1 of Xplane? You want to compare the latest version of Xplane with people adding-installing airports into it, to version 1 of MSFS2020 bare bones. 

The question was how they look in MSFS on the 18th Aug not what they could look in 2021 or 2022 in MSFS with updates and addon airports.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

The question is not how a simulator looks out of the box on launch day, the question is how a simulator looks on any given day (without paying for add-ons).

So now you are saying we need to compare Laminar Research´s first version of X-Plane with Asobo/Microsofts first version of Flight Simulator?

That is absolutely logical, why did I not think of that? Thanks for pointing that out. 🤣

54 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

were them airports even there in version 1 of Xplane?

I feel sorry for your cardboard house of the perfect simulator crumbling before your eyes - before it even launched - but come on, have some dignity and don´t make a spectacle of your credibility. This feels like arguing with my daughter about whether she needs to clean her room!

Edited by Janov
  • Upvote 1

I am just adding you to the Mr Richard Head list commonly known as the Ignore list. Gz your only the 3rd on it after 11 years.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Look, the grass strip airports didn't exist in X-Plane 11 until someone (whomever Tribletman is) created them.  X-Plane did not have those grass strip airports in by default.  The grass strip for Stoney Lane was uploaded on 3 JAN 18... X-Plane 11 was released on 25 NOV 16.  I don't believe that qualifies as default.  Seriously.

Edited by WarpD
spelling fix
  • Like 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

2 minutes ago, WarpD said:

Look, the grass strip airports didn't exist in X-Plane 11 until someone (whomever Tribletman is) created them.  X-Plane did not have those grass strip airports in by default.  The grass trip for Stoney Lane was uploaded on 3 JAN 18... X-Plane 11 was released on 25 NOV 16.  I don't believe that qualifies as default.  Seriously.

Ed,

Don't feed the T............. add him to your Mr Richard Head list. pow he is now gone...nice!

Edited by Nyxx

Worry not.

Not seen on the world map or the GPS Map, Alscot Park, XEG3AP is in the sim.

Its a parallel pair of whitewash markers 07/25  970ft of grass.

Good enough to land a C152 and get back up.

Prior permission is required from Alscot Estate manager. 🙂

I just landed on a grass strip called, Fowlers Field. Now this is five minutes away from where i live. (Owen Sound) Blew me away when i saw the thing they have to show you an airport. He has Piper Cubs, three i think parked there. How's that for realism?