Sign in to follow this  
McPlane

Found a performance video ... very interesting

If only a Cray could emulate Windows. 🤔

What do you pilots think will be the most important componant?  CPU or VC

performance

Edited by McPlane

Interesting, contrary to what others have stated, Ant’s test show gpu bound, not cpu bound.  

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

43 minutes ago, FrankR409 said:

Interesting, contrary to what others have stated, Ant’s test show gpu bound, not cpu bound.  

Isn't that exactly what almost everyone else has said? I haven't seen anyone say it's CPU bound.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FlyingInACessna said:

Isn't that exactly what almost everyone else has said? I haven't seen anyone say it's CPU bound.

No, not really.. I realize people posting on the internet speak from their backsides, well, because they think they are experts at everything.

check out page 16 of - I just saw benchmark results and those left me disappointed thread, where I discuss sli.  

sli will never work..oh really, lots of contrary proof.  Sli won’t work because the sim will be cpu bound..oh really, seeing more proof it’s not necessarily true..

on and on..

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

Dell 43” 4K 

It is said that it is CPU bound at 1080p and below, but also at higher resolutions when in cockpit view. However, it is evident that there are some CPU performance optimisation issues, and Microsoft stated that they'll get to them towards the release and soon after.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

It is said that it is CPU bound at 1080p and below, but also at higher resolutions when in cockpit view. However, it is evident that there are some CPU performance optimisation issues, and Microsoft stated that they'll get to them towards the release and soon after.

As far as I can tell, my CPU is sound asleep when using the SIM.

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

For what it’s worth, Ants video showed in and out of cockpit at multiple resolutions, and it was gpu bound.  

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

Dell 43” 4K 

1 minute ago, HiFlyer said:

Mine too. And if I don’t limit my frames, my gpu gets 100% of usage all the time, even on 1080p.

5 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

2 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

Mine too. And if I don’t limit my frames, my gpu gets 100% of usage all the time, even on 1080p.

Well, talk about conflicting information from testers. I guess it's best that I just shut up for now and wait for release and more thorough benchmarks. At least the Microsoft statement I mentioned above is true.

@ca_metal How do you limit your frame rate? It appears there is no limiter in the graphics settings, and it was said in the Digital Foundry video that NVIDIA Inspector doesn't work because it's a Microsoft Store game or whatever. Some other external tool?

1 minute ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Well, talk about conflicting information from testers. I guess it's best that I just shut up for now and wait for release and more thorough benchmarks. At least the Microsoft statement I mentioned above is true.

@ca_metal How do you limit your frame rate? It appears there is no limiter in the graphics settings, and it was said in the Digital Foundry video that NVIDIA Inspector doesn't work because it's a Microsoft Store game or whatever. Some other external tool?

I limit it using Riva Tuner. It comes with MSI Afterburner.

About it being Cpu/gpu bound. It’s complex. Maybe the settings have a major role here. 

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

I limit it using Riva Tuner. It comes with MSI Afterburner.

About it being Cpu/gpu bound. It’s complex. Maybe the settings have a major role here. 

Actually, the settings are very counter-intuitive to somebody accustomed to our legacy sims. Many things one might do to supposedly help with FPS have little to no effect, or have the opposite effect than what you intended.

I suspect the sim itself might be actively doing things, on the incoming data side possibly, to keep frame-rate up, and that might conflict with users futzing with other settings, but that's just a theory on my part.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

59 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I suspect the sim itself might be actively doing things, on the incoming data side possibly, to keep frame-rate up, and that might conflict with users futzing with other settings, but that's just a theory on my part.

I'd be surprised if this is the case without a target frame rate, and it would also mean that trading performance for quality when needed wouldn't be completely possible, which would be unfortunate. Though the ability to dynamically scale the graphics or the resolution according to a target frame rate, similar to many console games, would be a very welcome feature.

For such a complex environment and the details that have been added, I think the performance looks outstanding. Frame rate doesn't seem to bounce by ten or twenty fps and is a pretty stable frame rate throughout. 

Asobo have done well to optimise the sim and I assume it will be even better with the release candidate.

All that being said - my 4770K and 16GB of ram with a 1070 (8GB) meet well above the minimum spec needed to play. I will be building a new system in November though, putting in a 10900K, 64GB RAM two 2tb SSD's with one being an M.2 drive and the best 30xx series nvidia card I can get my hands on. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1