Sign in to follow this  
Dreamsofwings1

P3Dv5 - white grid lines / tile edges at sea

Hi, just recently installed P3Dv5 and am seeing something odd out to sea and can't seem to fix it unless I set water detail from Ultra to High.  Has anyone else seen this and know of a fix?

Hbh7s3j.png

HUokhu1.png

nvIDfoM.png

Edited by Dreamsofwings1

Warbird and GA pilot on P3Dv5 & MSFS

Dreamsofwings YouTube channel

Wow...so much detail in the watter...that must be some sort of fishing net. I bet that if you turn on AI ships you will see some sort of fishing boat and 2 green peace little ones zig zagging around 🤪

Seriously...no idea what that is. Maybe some sort of texture issues. What was your location? Mybe somebody can overfly and double check it.

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

29 minutes ago, GEKtheReaper said:

Wow...so much detail in the watter...that must be some sort of fishing net. I bet that if you turn on AI ships you will see some sort of fishing boat and 2 green peace little ones zig zagging around 🤪

Seriously...no idea what that is. Maybe some sort of texture issues. What was your location? Mybe somebody can overfly and double check it.

🤣 I wish it was fishing nets!

This was off the coast of LA.  Also using Orbx NA SC but I don’t think that would effect it.   Doesn’t necessarily appear straight away.

Yes, I've seen it too, somewhere out in the South Pacific.
My prepar3d.cfg file has water_details=2, ORBX global base pack only.

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

6 minutes ago, agutz said:

Yes, I've seen it too, somewhere out in the South Pacific.
My prepar3d.cfg file has water_details=2, ORBX global base pack only.

Thanks for confirming. Did you find a fix for it?

Honestly, no. I don't fly often over the open ocean and took it as an oddity (that hopefully will disappear)-

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

4 minutes ago, agutz said:

Honestly, no. I don't fly often over the open ocean and took it as an oddity (that hopefully will disappear)-

thanks, appreciate you taking the time to reply.  At least I know I'm not the only one! 😀

It's essentially an OOM issue. Too much detail on the textures, and so the sim starts to struggle and it will then display lower resolution textures, so where the texture tiles meet up, you get visible joins.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

26 minutes ago, Chock said:

It's essentially an OOM issue. Too much detail on the textures, and so the sim starts to struggle and it will then display lower resolution textures, so where the texture tiles meet up, you get visible joins.

I did wonder if it was that too but I don’t think that’s it.  I have 32gb Ram and 11gb Ram on the GPU and everything else seems to be working very well.  There’s certainly plenty of Ram to spare on the GPU.

19 minutes ago, Dreamsofwings1 said:

I did wonder if it was that too but I don’t think that’s it.  I have 32gb Ram and 11gb Ram on the GPU and everything else seems to be working very well.  There’s certainly plenty of Ram to spare on the GPU.

Ordinarily that would be true, since that is a good spec hardware wise, but the issue is that sometimes there are memory leaks and such, whereby things don't dump out of the VRAM as they should. Not saying this is definitely the case, just pointing out that even when a PC has fancy specs, it's still dependent on the software using that capability properly.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

9 minutes ago, Chock said:

Ordinarily that would be true, since that is a good spec hardware wise, but the issue is that sometimes there are memory leaks and such, whereby things don't dump out of the VRAM as they should. Not saying this is definitely the case, just pointing out that even when a PC has fancy specs, it's still dependent on the software using that capability properly.

Yes good point! 

Actually I would say that appears to be an error in a cvx file, or a display error in the way the cvx files join at that spot, and I would point it out to Lockheed-Martin straightaway (on their P3D forum), along with the exact location (lat/long).

I suspect this because I used to design this type of scenery, and this is what happens visually when the cvx polys do not quite match.  It could also be that the v5 display system isn't properly rendering the boundary between two or more cvx polys.  I'd think the latter if your water detail slider affects what you see there.  Either way, LM needs to know about it.   LM are using new data for this type of scenery in v5, and a lot of errors have gotten through.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

32 minutes ago, Mace said:

Actually I would say that appears to be an error in a cvx file, or a display error in the way the cvx files join at that spot, and I would point it out to Lockheed-Martin straightaway (on their P3D forum), along with the exact location (lat/long).

I suspect this because I used to design this type of scenery, and this is what happens visually when the cvx polys do not quite match.  It could also be that the v5 display system isn't properly rendering the boundary between two or more cvx polys.  I'd think the latter if your water detail slider affects what you see there.  Either way, LM needs to know about it.   LM are using new data for this type of scenery in v5, and a lot of errors have gotten through.

Thanks and yes I thought it was worth flagging up so posted on the LM forum just in case it was something they can act on.

This is a texture tearing bug that was fixed with P3Dv5 HF2. Have you installed HF2? I too had this problem prior to HF2 and it was very annoying. HF2 completely fixed it for me. There's a thread at LM's forum that discussed this before HF2 was released.

Edit: I believe the problem occurs when there are reflections on the water.

Edited by DonMuskopf

Version: P3Dv5.4, P3Dv6  CPU: Core i7-13700K @ 5.5 GHz with HT on,  GPU: RTX 3080 12GB,  RAM: 32GB DDR-5MONITOR: 32" 4K with G-Sync enabled, OS: Win10 22H2, Target Frame Rate: P3D 120, NCP Max Frame Rate 35.

8 hours ago, DonMuskopf said:

This is a texture tearing bug that was fixed with P3Dv5 HF2. Have you installed HF2? I too had this problem prior to HF2 and it was very annoying. HF2 completely fixed it for me. There's a thread at LM's forum that discussed this before HF2 was released.

Edit: I believe the problem occurs when there are reflections on the water.

Unfortunately this is a fresh install having just moved over from V4 so includes the HF2.

On further testing I found it is more obvious the lower you get but that also if you pause the sim when you see it afte a few seconds they disappear almost like a texture loading issue.  Only difference is the water texture itself is perfect ie not blurred/pixelated, and does not change when the lines disappear.   It also isn't effected by EF.

Interesting that there is a post already there on LM.  I did a search but must have missed it.  I've not had a response from LM on there yet but we'll see.