Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Avsim interview of the FS team

This is a summarized transcript of the interview:

Q: Were all the planes developed in house by the Asobo team?
A: Yeah, sure. There were teams for artwork, sound, flight behavior.

Q: Did the pilot you visited get to try his own aircraft in the sim?
A: I don't think that was the case yet.

Q: I would be interested to hear what he thinks of the flight dynamics.
A: We visited him for the sounds.

Q: Did you use a head shaped microphone system to record the sounds?
A: No we used microphones everywhere to capture 3D sound, it'll work on 5.1 systems.

Q: You've worked on the flight dynamics of the planes. There are so many in the beta now, it's hard to test them all. Yesterday I landed the water plane and I survived.
A: We worked with a pilot and he said we got the landing and take off worked out right. We have a team that reads all the posts on AVSim daily and makes a summary. We listen and we see what can be done in the time available.

Q: VR is coming. It always gave me a headache but I guess technology has evolved?
A: Yes, it was a big issue at your forum and we immediately reacted and you guys were right, it's amazing.

Q: Multi screen support is on the to do list, do I understand correctly?
A: Yes. We have viewports for instance for glass cockpits on other screens, but we don't have multi screen world yet.. We tested a 180 degree view on three projectors and it's something we like to bring, it's doable.

Q: Legacy air plane support has been promised. How will this work, will it be a matter of drag and drop or do we need the SDK to rebuild?
A: It has not been a promise, we said we'll try to make it possible for the planes you have by default in FSX. The more complex third party planes may not work, the technology is too far from what we are doing now.

Q: I'm interested in the methodology to import an old plane?
A: It's a drag and drop system, but we can't promise they all work, it's technically not possible to support every one of them.

Q: Will the SDK be ready at release and will it be available to all users?
A: Yes, we want to make it available to everybody, we would like people to be as creative as they can be. It's included in every version and it's basically the same tools as the team is using, you can make aircraft, and missions, and airport, it's all there.

Q: Will the marketplace have some toys head on ... some aircraft, or scenery?
A: There were some 200 subscriptions to the marketplace program in just the first four days. They've shown us stuff, there will be scenery, aircraft, airports and even some things we never expected ... it's awesome.

Q: Is 80GB the download size now?
A: For the standard version it is, for Premium Deluxe it may grow up to 150, or more.

Edited by RudyB24
  • Like 12

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

30 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

I could imagine that MS doesn‘t want to discuss hot topics at this point. Belgeode said in one of his latest videos that MS wanted him to make sure that his viewers understand that it‘s a preview video and not a review video because MSFS is still in beta and some things might look different in the release version. This would also explain the general focus of the press/youtubers on the shiny sides of the sim (of which there are plenty!) and why there seems to be a tendency to avoid mentioning obvious shortcomings (which exist as well, otherwise it would’t be „the beginning“ of a 10 years project). Just speculating.  

Great interview and I also love the dev‘s enthusiasm. 

It could be, but the devs also made a point that they read EVERYTHING on the forums in regards to feedback. So, it wouldn't be unheard of to at least bringing those topics up. By "hot topics" I do not mean negative topics, because you have aye and nay-sayers in every thread, and in the end most of us agree that this sim has plenty of spectacular features.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Thanks Rudy, much acknowledged in view of the missing subtitles.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

17 hours ago, FAZZ3 said:

I don’t mean to come across as condescending, but why delay it until the next BOD meeting. Can’t you have a quick group chat and have it up on YouTube in less than 5 minutes? Agility is now the name of the game if we want to capture the interest of the young.

Also, I suspect that AVSIM forum visitors will drop significantly once the MSFS forums are active, so this video would be a good opportunity to generate awareness among the general public about AVSIM as a makeshift forum for MSFS in the meanwhile. Increased website traffic can only be helpful. 

The young ? Agility ? Overrated !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

16 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

What shone through from that interview was a genuine feeling of passion about what those guys have been doing, and a pride in their work. It must hurt somewhat when they read some of the more strongly-worded criticisms, especially before the product has even gone to market, but they were good enough to be tactful about what they've read and no doubt used it to a positive end.👍

Good point.  Some of the posts on the Alpha (now Beta) forum have been brutal and, I think, out of line.  I've posted my concerns as well but have tried to be constructive. These three men appear to actually want to do a good job for us and I look forward to getting the release version in a few weeks.

• Like 4

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

4 hours ago, RudyB24 said:

Q: Will the marketplace have some toys head on ... some aircraft, or scenery?
A: There were some 200 subscriptions to the marketplace program in just the first four days. They've shown us stuff, there will be scenery, aircraft, airports and even some things we never expected ... it's awesome.

That I did not expect and I am looking forward to what is available and what the costs will be.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

10 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I didn't like that it wasn't on youtube, but instead used dropbox. It makes for an unneeded threshold for people to overcome when wanting to listen.

Genuine question. As this has been raised by a couple of people now, I don't see how it was "an unneeded threshold to overcome". All I did was click on the link in the second post in this thread and a new tab opened in my browser with the video ready to play. Are your computers set up differently?

• Upvote 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

20 hours ago, Chock said:

I'll tell you what happens on the 19th. Sales of GPUs, RAM and SSDs experience a spike all around the world. 🤣

Don´t forget the Hp G2 for VR. Pre-ordered mine already.

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

2 hours ago, chass32 said:

Don´t forget the Hp G2 for VR. Pre-ordered mine already.

Cheers

Carlos

I just bought the Reverb 1 a few months ago (which I am contend with, except the cabling), thus I feel a bit miffed. Given both are WMR-based, I hope the Reverb 1 will be usable at the same time or shortly after.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

7 minutes ago, pmb said:

I just bought the Reverb 1 a few months ago (which I am contend with, except the cabling), thus I feel a bit miffed. Given both are WMR-based, I hope the Reverb 1 will be usable at the same time or shortly after.

Kind regards, Michael

Yes it will be. All WMR headsets will be useable first

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

8 minutes ago, Slides said:

Yes it will be. All WMR headsets will be useable first

Thanks, this is great, somehow it escaped me.

Kind regards, Michael

10 hours ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

I´m pretty sure the Reverb 1 and other WMR headsets will be ready at the same time on VR day one. On the other hand Rift S and Oculus based headsets could take longer, but not too long either

Just watched the interview and I was thrilled to see Jorg Neumann amazed with his experience with the G2 and VR.

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

Pre-ordered the Reverb G2 yesterday. I‘ve wanted to give it a try for some years and now with this beautiful sim on the horizon it seems to be the right time. 

Edited by Shack95

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Very curious to hear how the G2 works for you all, might get one too once I hear and learn more about it. I wonder how you operate knobs and switches ... is your mouse cursor still in view? (VR newbie here ... maybe I should read the VR thread first, but it's loooong. 🙂 )

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

On 8/2/2020 at 4:43 PM, Chuck_Jodry-VJPL said:

Ah , yes I can answer that now with " sortof " you can undock a panel popup and put it on another screen but the world is limited to one screen , its on the list for inclusion at some point in the future . A timeline during the presentation had items like Helicopters in development as well.

An interview    with the directors was recorded that covered a number of our forums questions and contributions to the development  of MSFS2020 .

I invite the membership to meet the people involved and see for yourself the "Unboxing" of this new sim .

Best CJ

Hi. Then I only can use one screen for main view? For me is incredible that the msfs not includes that possibility using more screens. 

REGARDS